test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Noob Question

Hello all!

I am interested in trying this game as recently much City of Heroes nostalgia has come over me, and Paragon Chat just isn't doing it for me! I have a few questions. I want to try this game, and am installing atm. I plan to sub later on if I enjoy it after about a week or so. For now, I want to play a tank, as I do so in every MMO, though as far as I remember the only free Tank archetype is the Ice one, which I wasn't too fond of last time I tried the game. Does the Ice Tank archetype get more fun later on? If I choose a non-tank archetype, can I sub later and respec him to a free-form tank build, or if I want to free-form do I need a whole new character?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    The Glacier is a pretty decent offtank in very high end content, and can main tank in any other content. If you're gone that long, then they added an Energy Unlock that help manage your energy. They added another free Tank, call the Behemoth. These are your basic puncher melee tank with huge knock back. They can properly be made into main tanks in all content of the game.

If you become gold, then you can Retrain you archetype character into a Freeform and vice versa. You only get like one free retrain token.
  • Options
    gargantuanmidgetgargantuanmidget Posts: 9 Arc User
    qawsada said:

The Glacier is a pretty decent offtank in very high end content, and can main tank in any other content. If you're gone that long, then they added an Energy Unlock that help manage your energy. They added another free Tank, call the Behemoth. These are your basic puncher melee tank with huge knock back. They can properly be made into main tanks in all content of the game.

If you become gold, then you can Retrain you archetype character into a Freeform and vice versa. You only get like one free retrain token.

Oh okay, I remember the Behemoth actually. I will probably play that then.

Good to know that I'll be able to go freeform later if I end up enjoying the game!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    You start with two character slots, so you can make one of each kind of tank.

Also, events usually provide the means to unlock another Archetype for free these days.

Finally, be okay with playing a new toon through level 15 or so, and then possibly deleting and starting over. One mistake that I see some new players make is playing a toon they don't like, with build choices they don't like, all the way to level 40, then feel too invested to delete the toon and try again.

Leveling up to 15 is pretty quick, usually two play sessions for me.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    A quick build for the Behemoth:

(Unnamed Build) - The Behemoth
    v2.3.1-25

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Behemoth (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 7: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 20: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 25: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 30: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Surge of Strength, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Mighty Leap
    Level 8: Defiance
    Level 11: Thunderclap (Collateral Damage, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 17: Demolish (Rank 2, Below the Belt)
    Level 21: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 25: Aggressor (Rank 2)
    Level 30: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Better You Than Me)
    Level 35: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 40: Shockwave (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Constitution: Unyielding (1/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
    Protector: Resolute (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

AoE can be using TClap (will proc Enrage if 3+ targets are hit, and AoE stuns) and the last hit of Defense Combo (which is a small AoE). Shockwave can make for easy AoE tagging, though you won't unlock it till max lvl. Demolish is good for debuffing and dpsing down tougher trash that you don't want to knockback heavily, whereas Haymaker is ur main boss killer (and for trash that's built up knock immunity). Defense Combo can also refresh Defiance stacks if ur not getting hit.

Either Protector or Con Mastery are good picks on the specs here. Gear mostly for Con, w/ some Str (for Enrage) and Rec/End (for energy).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!