test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Quick Eidolon Lore Question

There's something I've been curious about since joining the fight against Eidolon...

When summoning his killer red orbs, Eidolon shouts "Crystals of Kametio (Kemetio? Khameteo?) give me your power!"

Is there any lore behind these crystals? Or is it just flavor text created for the battle?
Lemon-Scented Evil.

Comments

• Options
    omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I always took it as flavor text/speech. Though I'm not an expert of CO lore. All I really need to know is that in-game, they're more like the Crystals of BS.
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Well, the book titled The Mystic World (main source for the magical side of the Champions Universe) names, describes, and game-stats a sizeable selection of "supermage" spells, under the general classification of "thaumaturgy" to distinguish it from other traditional magic styles. One suite of spells is called, "Koriol's Crimson Crystals," which summon magic light that coalesces into shards of red glass. Those spells aren't really damaging -- the shards combine to form barriers or restrain a target. But in name and appearance they're the closest spell in the lore to what you describe.

I can't recall a name in Champions lore more similar to the variations you mention. Are you sure about the name?

Let's face it, comic-book magic spells were named to sound cool first and foremost, and reverse-justified afterwards. The Eidolon's gimmick might just coincidentally resemble KCC. OTOH Champions Online has often picked up names from the PnP lore and used them in different contexts, such as the old "Blessing of Gloriana" perk.
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • Options
    doctorevilfacedoctorevilface Posts: 91 Arc User
    bulgarex said:

Well, the book titled The Mystic World (main source for the magical side of the Champions Universe) names, describes, and game-stats a sizeable selection of "supermage" spells, under the general classification of "thaumaturgy" to distinguish it from other traditional magic styles. One suite of spells is called, "Koriol's Crimson Crystals," which summon magic light that coalesces into shards of red glass. Those spells aren't really damaging -- the shards combine to form barriers or restrain a target. But in name and appearance they're the closest spell in the lore to what you describe. Are you sure about the name?

Let's face it, comic-book magic spells were named to sound cool first and foremost, and reverse-justified afterwards. The Eidolon's gimmick might just coincidentally resemble KCC. OTOH Champions Online has often picked up names from the PnP lore and used them in different contexts, such as the old "Blessing of Gloriana" perk.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the name. The Eidolon's voiced lines leave no text or speech bubbles whatsoever, so all I know is what I hear. It really sounds like he's saying "Crystals of Kemetio", but I could be wrong. The attack itself seems similar to the spell you mentioned, as it does hold the group temporarily when he summons them. Qliphoth corrupts everything it comes into contact with, so maybe it's some warped variant of the spell?

In reality, it probably doesn't mean anything and is just for flavor, but I thought I'd ask anyway..
    Lemon-Scented Evil.
  • Options
    The Eidolon of Destruction having been invented by Cryptic after the last published Champs PnP book, going to those for insights into what he's doing now is an iffy prospect at best. But you never know when the shtick from the two games will intersect, so it was certainly worth asking. :)
  • Options
    lordxanadulordxanadu Posts: 8 Arc User
    I think the word you're looking for is "Quemetiel" except the actor pronounces it as Kemetiel. Quemetiel is the last stop before the Solipsist in Qliphoth. Also known as the "Crowd of Gods". It is a fusion of dead/dying cosmic entities on their way to oblivion.
  • Options
    doctorevilfacedoctorevilface Posts: 91 Arc User

I think the word you're looking for is "Quemetiel" except the actor pronounces it as Kemetiel. Quemetiel is the last stop before the Solipsist in Qliphoth. Also known as the "Crowd of Gods". It is a fusion of dead/dying cosmic entities on their way to oblivion.

Ah, thank you!
    Lemon-Scented Evil.
  • Options

Ah, great catch, lordxanadu! Thank you! Yes, that makes complete sense. Quemetiel is at the nadir of the Qliphoth, the drain down which dying universes flow to annihilation. Like a multiversal black hole.

The pronunciation threw me off, sorry about that. :3