test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mods with Conditional Triggers

kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
edited July 2017 in Suggestions Box
The main idea here is to have mods which can trigger useful effects when certain conditions are met.

The more specific the condition the more useful the effect that's triggered. Some of these mods could also be ultra mega rare or cost gcr or just be made really desirable....aka at DUC's level of desirability. Here are some example effects.....

- burst heal if your hp drops below 20%, can only occur once every X seconds.
- added slashing damage if behind target
- %chance to gain X amount of energy from attacks in a given powerset...a separate mod for each powerset
- %chace to proc aoe dmg effect if energy is above 90%
- %chance to proc small shield when hp is below 75%
- reduce charge time of next attack from given powerset when energy is above 95%.....separate mod for each set
- for each target killed, reduce cd on ultimate if it's on cooldown
- targets with certain effects have a chance to return energy, or small heal, or be stunned... effects can be fear, bleeds, burning, poison, illum, disorient, stagger, etc

(going to add a few more)

reply to the thread with some of your own ideas for mods!
Post edited by kamokami on

Comments

• Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    -when recieving heals (or attacking), heals X amount to surrounding friendlies based on amount of healing recieved(dmg dealt).
    -every time energy goes below X%, reduce cd by .XX secs. Occurs every 1min
    -when recieving heals, gain a shield based on amount of healing recieved.
    -using an enchancement/curse/sigil gives a small shield
    -using Circles gives +% all dmg strength
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    DUC is popular because it works with every build. These suggestions are... not terribly interesting or far too restrictive and don't seem worth the trade off in dumping existing, reliable mods. Maybe if switching mods wasn't stupidly expensive, sure, situational mods could be cool. With how mods currently work, if it's not something that can be proc'd all the time or is a PITA to work with, then it's not worth slotting.

Something that could be far more interesting is a Cast When Damage Taken kind of support. In Path of Exile, what this support does is cast a supported spell when a certain amount of damage is taken. The damage threshold is determined by the support gem's level. Mods have ranks too. The biggest difference is, a mod in CO would also have to have the spell cast built in. But you could have a variety of effects and the HP threshold trigger could be controlled by ranking the mod or not.

An interesting interaction for CO would be CwDT + Molten Shell type setup. Molten Shell gives you a temporary armor buff and is broken by taking a certain amount of damage. If broken, Molten Shell explodes, doing AoE fire damage. Molten Shell can also have a chance to ignite enemies. Clinging Flames in CO terms.

A hypothetical Fire Shield mod could work like this: At r1, you have a low HP threshold to trigger, low defense buff, low damage to break, and low explosion damage. Lets say the chance to apply clinging flames is the same at all ranks. (Or have reverse scaling. i.e. 100% at r1 and 0% at r7.) So, if you just wanted an automatic way to apply clinging flames, you could keep the mod at r1. You wouldn't have a very good defense buff and the explosion would be weak. Maybe you want a stronger shield when you need it. Simply rank it up. The HP threshold to proc is higher, but you get a larger defense buff when you take a big hit(s) to prevent you from dying from a follow up.

It can work in any build, but it certainly favors certain things. The biggest problem with a mod working this way is that CO has this nasty habit of mobs either doing pitiful damage or instadeath damage. Especially a problem with end game / big bosses.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I have mixed feelings about conditional abilities. As a long time DM/GM, I've found that players do their utmost to maximize the triggers and minimize the drawbacks/downtime. Whatever bonus a conditional mod offers can only be a little better than something persistent, not a lot better, even if the trigger seems somewhat unlikely.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    "has 5% chance of triggering"...
    oh i remember these. I still got some of these gears in my bank. like the 'Coruscating Might' stuff...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!