test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weird comic book concepts that you find amusing

markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
One that particularly amused me is that in DC comics some, if not all, of their true magic users are actually a separate subspecies of human called "Homo Magi" who are born with an innate talent for magic. But... If they're not raised and trained knowing how to use magic their powers will manifest around puberty in a manner very similar to that of a Marvel Comics mutant. :p

So what sorts of weird comic book ideas have made you chuckle?
ChampsWiki
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My characters

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    the absurdity of seeing a mook subject to any and all manner of attacks that would be fatal and show up in the next panel being hauled off to jail, obviously very much alive and none the worse for wear aside from a few bruises

which is why i prefer the marvel/DC cinematic universe - people actually DIE in live-action​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    elsawhitworthelsawhitworth Posts: 58 Arc User
    Hows about the fact that the civilians in comic book universes must either be more resilient than normal humans or are just hiding crippling PTSD really well. Imagine the existential horror of living in a world where everything you have could be wiped out in an instant by a superpowered tantrum. Makes some of the citizen of Millenium who run in screaming terror from nothing make more sense...
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    The amount of money a Sentinel must cost to produce, vs the amount of time it spends in combat before being reduced to a pile of garbage. Imagine if every day you had to buy a Lamborghini to get to work, and then buy one for the drive home as well - that would be more cost efficient than sending Sentinels to fight the X-Men. But big dumb robots tho!
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Super-scientists who build time machines, teleporters, ant-gravity, energy guns, who genetically engineer superhumans... while almost all the rest of humanity drive internal-combustion vehicles, shoot bullets, and can't find a cure for the common cold.
  • Options
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Super-scientists who build time machines, teleporters, ant-gravity, energy guns, who genetically engineer superhumans... while almost all the rest of humanity drive internal-combustion vehicles, shoot bullets, and can't find a cure for the common cold.

to be fair, most of that stuff ends up getting destroyed minutes after production and its creator either getting killed, going insane, getting trapped in another dimension/on another world or ending up in jail - it doesn't have time to propagate to the civilian population​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    Heh, there are a few occasions where super-science is said to require super-materials, thus preventing mass0production.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    I liked the explanation in the Wild Cards shared-universe stories, where all that gadgetry is in fact a manifestation of the "inventor's" Ace power, and won't work for anyone else (and is frequently discovered to have been constructed from literal garbage - one device Dr. Tachyon took apart featured apple cores and an old newspaper).

Then there was DC's explanation for why powers were manifesting in people whenever they needed a new character - the apparently-widespread "metagene", a genetic complex that is only metastable until the person is subject to potentially-lethal stresses, at which point the complex collapses into a stable state that happens to grant them the superpowers they need in order to survive the situation. Don't know if that still applies, because it was two "Final Crises" ago, but I hope it does, just because it amused me that Max Lord developed his telepathic mind control powers in response to being buried in a cave-in, and calling out for help - from Blue Beetle.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    And Leslie Willis, AKA Livewire, who got her powers from being electrocuted so hard it'd hurt Superman. Some versions of the story it happened because Superman was holding her while trying to save her, but not always.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    How in between dying and fighting evil non-stop The Summer and Grey family seem to shoot out children around the clock....without appearing pregnant or delivering a child.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    Then there was DC's explanation for why powers were manifesting in people whenever they needed a new character - the apparently-widespread "metagene", a genetic complex that is only metastable until the person is subject to potentially-lethal stresses, at which point the complex collapses into a stable state that happens to grant them the superpowers they need in order to survive the situation. Don't know if that still applies, because it was two "Final Crises" ago, but I hope it does, just because it amused me that Max Lord developed his telepathic mind control powers in response to being buried in a cave-in, and calling out for help - from Blue Beetle.

oh, it still happens in the DC cinematic 'verse - most of the superheroes/villains from flash (who weren't visitors from other shows like supergirl or green arrow) got their powers from being hit by the dark matter wave released by star lab's particle accelerator exploding just as they wound up in a fatal situation​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    But wait... why isn't a certain part of Superman's anatomy jiggling then? ...wow, he really is the "MAN of steel" wink! ;)
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    well...only the most vile of villains aim below the waist.

• Options
    saburfangsaburfang Posts: 121 Arc User
    Infinite ammo guns

...and only reloading if the plot demands it
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    :)

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    not a practical location for a weapon. :p