test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Color Combo Conundrums

One thing that has always vexed me (even since my days playing City of Heroes) is creating unique outfits for my toons. I used to spend days sitting in front of the character creator, trying my best to eek out a new and exciting look for my hero. Since then i've gotten much better with costumes, adding a touch of asymmetry and typically choosing at least three colors for an outfit, not including skin.

However, I still find myself stumped when it comes to what colors to pick. Even with the help of color wheels, I struggle at choosing just the right blend and making it look good. I have a few new character concepts whose outfits I really like, but I can't for the life of me manage to figure out what color should go where.

So i've decided to make a discussion in the forum here. If you are interested in helping me, please comment in this thread and i'll send you a picture of the character's work-in-progress, and you can either recreate the toon with updated colors to send back or simply share your opinion on what you would change. :)

Comments

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Interested.

Send away!

I think the best way to color something is pull from what you know.

Unless it's a matching tight set...look at what you have one.

I'm wearing jeans that have metal buckles...and stitching and brown shoes with different shades of brown.

So focus on the pieces that would be a different color first and then say..."okay..now why is he wearing a red shirt? And does he need red pants too? "
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    While not always available, I'd also be willing to help. Something else I'd add is that theme and the desire to match/contrast your other characters also has weight. Have you looked at bluhman's guide before? Here: https://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/243215/the-general-guide-to-costuming#latest
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    As Ratty said, pull from what you know. I know superhero costumes and have plenty comic-books for reference too. That's the inspiration I draw from.

The best thing would be for you to post the costumes here that you would like advice on. Be sure to post a screenshot (tailor ones are best for this) and costume file as well.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    Alright, how do I share the costume file exactly?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Have to use a picture sharing site. Likes of Photobucket.
    Costume files are in your Screenshots folder. As jpg. files.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    So do I upload the costume file on the picture sharing site then put the link to that picture here?
  • Options
    Yes..... make sure to do the right link that actually displays the image here tho'. It's better that way.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    Here's the first archer outfit concept I made inspired by the game Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Lorquin_Archer

And here's a king's armor outfit I gave him recently.

Lorquin_King

I'll tweak proportions like head size/limb length and so on later once I give the clothing a better color combo.

I found the link to my screenshots but not still not clear on how to share them so they can be saved and loaded to someone else's game.
  • Options
    You just post the costume files here..... if anyone wants to they can load them into the tailor.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    jebidiahbeetus#4643 jebidiahbeetus Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Like this?

Post edited by jebidiahbeetus#4643 on
  • Options
    Just post them like you posted the other images..... so we can see them.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    Here's another toon whose outfit I like but still struggling to choose the right colors for.

Concept is a possessed doll who uses a Witch/Hexslinger AT combo, partially inspired by this:

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I haven't forgot you. I'll have my color this weekend
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Honestly? They look pretty good as is. Unless there's some other kind of mood or theme you're trying to specifically go for, I'd say they fit well already.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    bluhman said:

Honestly? They look pretty good as is. Unless there's some other kind of mood or theme you're trying to specifically go for, I'd say they fit well already.

I have to agree with this. I don't see any particular issues there.

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options

Here's another one, if anybody's willing to attempt a recolor.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Imgur image uploads remove the metadata inside the JPG costume images that actually contains the usable costume ingame, which means we can't load the costumes from the images posted here.

To see if the image will work via ingame import, you should attempt to open up the JPG with notepad and see if anything coherent is inside there. Costume files usually have a header near the top that starts with "CostumeV5", under which it details all sorts of traits of the costume, such as the player model it uses, proportions, costume categories and pieces, and so on.

I recommend using https://imgbb.com/; I just tested it and it appears to preserve costume data inside the image.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))