test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Release Notes 1/26/2017

2»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Well, the few bits of lore involved suggest that the Malvans are behind it. Apparently the rings literally appear out of nowhere when the event starts.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

Is it possible that the speed boost from your vehicles causes you to fail?

The theory I've seen is that there is a spherical region filling each ring, with a fairly high tic rate, that applies a buff to any object in that region. If you're going fast enough, you might not be in that volume when the tic occurs; this is more likely near the edges of the ring as there's a shorter path through the region there.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

guyhumual said:

Is it possible that the speed boost from your vehicles causes you to fail?

The theory I've seen is that there is a spherical region filling each ring, with a fairly high tic rate, that applies a buff to any object in that region. If you're going fast enough, you might not be in that volume when the tic occurs; this is more likely near the edges of the ring as there's a shorter path through the region there.
    Yeah, that sounds about right. I've even seen it trigger when I haven't actually flown through the ring.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User

Well, the few bits of lore involved suggest that the Malvans are behind it. Apparently the rings literally appear out of nowhere when the event starts.

Probably why it's tied to Forum Malvanum. It's for intergalactic showbiz and entertainment. However, maybe a month-wide event could be done down the road where the cosmic race and gladiatorial matches places the Earth in the balance or something.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User

I've always disliked this race because of how poorly it is integrated into the superhero genre. Why are we doing this race? Because Sapphire needs something for some purpose. There's no real lead up to it or follow up after. It's literally just the devs making us jump through hoops for a prize (and probably as marketing to get people to buy vehicle related stuff). This would be so much more interesting if something followed it, like an aerial dog fight between heroes on vehicles (and just flying on their own) and some airborne threat.

What? You don't like jumping though hoops?

Are you going to complain that this is a clear homage to the Superman game, one of the worst video games ever made (never mind being just the worst super hero video game). As for me, I just wish I didn't get a fail after running a perfect race.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,112 Arc User
    superman64_3.jpg
    ​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    avianos said:

superman64_3.jpg

​​
    Ahhahaahhaaa!
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User

I've always disliked this race because of how poorly it is integrated into the superhero genre. Why are we doing this race? Because Sapphire needs something for some purpose. There's no real lead up to it or follow up after. It's literally just the devs making us jump through hoops for a prize (and probably as marketing to get people to buy vehicle related stuff). This would be so much more interesting if something followed it, like an aerial dog fight between heroes on vehicles (and just flying on their own) and some airborne threat.

Upon original release, Circus Malvanum and Forum Malvanum were made available across a 3 or four week period of time. So while it may feel tossed in now, it originally was setup with a story and a reveal that the Malvans were toying with the heroes. The Bleak Harbinger battle was setup similarly with an NPC the first week, an instanced mission daily from him the next, and the big battle the final week (which originally had longer cutscenes). It was only later that Lemurian Invasion was added to the Rampage rotation. Also, the lead ins never returned, unlike how the races do.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga