test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sandstorms - Earth & Wind

raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
I'm looking to revisit an old power concept I had a while back that I ended up scrapping for something else... but now I've got a new character that just wouldn't be right with anything else...

I'm looking to create a build that is built around the theme of a sandstorm. I figure Hurricane & Whirlwind would be decent options for it, and I'd like to work in Quicksand as well... as for her role, I'm not quite sure if I want to go Tank or DPS with this one...
^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
jniKqKJ.png

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,819 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Well, ur talking about some overlapping AoEs there that you prob won't be able to fully separate out. I suppose you could use Hurricane for solo AoE and Quicksand for teaming AoE since the latter doesn't scatter groups (rather can clump them up)? Here's a dps version:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, End: 8, Ego: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Wordly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Wind Lash
    Level 1: Hurricane (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Stormbringer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Chilled Form
    Level 11: Wind Reverberation
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Quicksand (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Typhoon (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Land Slide
    Level 29: Stone Shroud (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 26/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Land Slide is mostly in there to add more Earth and if you want to get up close for the pbAoE faster. Last few power slots can be w/e. Gears mostly for Ego and Con here, but w/ some End/Rec for energy.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    So, I've been playing her a bit... and I think I actually want to go the tank route with her... I know I don't want to use Defiance or PFF as her passive (of my 10 tanks, 3 are Defiance, 3 are PFF, 1 is LR, 1 is Regen, 1 is Invuln, and 1 is AoRP)... I'm actually considering something that in all likelihood won't actually work out... a Regen Dodge Tank... I'm not really looking to build her for Cosmics... though I would like to make her viable for TA off-tanking...

jniKqKJ.png
    Well, w/ Evasive Maneuver's redesign, most of the good dodge-boosting powers are melee now. That could be an issue w/ a mostly ranged powerset.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited January 2017
    By the looks of it EM is still a decent dodge buff... and as long as I don't take Sleight of Mind it's not a threat wipe...

Nafrit - Freeform

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Void (Con: 10, End: 10, Dex: 8, Ego: 10)
    Level 6: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Negotiator (Int: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Wind Lash
    Level 1: Hurricane (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Wind Reverberation
    Level 8: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Chilled Form
    Level 14: Quicksand (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Land Slide
    Level 23: Stone Shroud (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Typhoon (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge (Unfettered Strikes)
    Level 35: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Evasive Maneuvers (Rank 2, Stim Pack)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Tornado Flight
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (2/3)
    Constitution: Tough (3/3)
    Constitution: Deflection (3/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

I'm not completely set on my specs or stats... I'm considering possibly switching to DEX/Con/Ego at 40 and slotting an End mod or 2 for Wind Reverb... but at least for leveling CON/Dex/End seems to work... though maybe I should leave her this way since Adrenaline Rush can provide a decent amount of extra self healing and the extra health is certainly good to have...

I'm not really sold on Typhoon either, TBH... it doesn't really seem to fit the sand theme to well... though really everything but Quicksand is a bit of a stretch for her concept >.<
    jniKqKJ.png
    Well, Earth and Wind don't have very solid single-target dps powers. Typhoon is kinda it for Wind (though is still a costly AoE) and Cave In is somewhat medicore (though easier to afford; it could be the replacement here). The other issue w/ EM is that it'll lunge you away for the target, which can be annoying to melee allies if the target is chasing you. You also don't really need to get R3 of Resurgence, nor Unfettered Strike (which is in the severity layer and won't have great uptime), though I prob would put Challenge on Hurricane. Could also max the block enhancer.
    edited January 2017
    flowcyto said:

Well, Earth and Wind don't have very solid single-target dps powers. Typhoon is kinda it for Wind (though is still a costly AoE) and Cave In is somewhat medicore (though easier to afford; it could be the replacement here). The other issue w/ EM is that it'll lunge you away for the target, which can be annoying to melee allies if the target is chasing you. You also don't really need to get R3 of Resurgence, nor Unfettered Strike (which is in the severity layer and won't have great uptime), though I prob would put Challenge on Hurricane. Could also max the block enhancer.

I've actually combined a reverse lunge and a lunge on another build before where I would reverse lunge and then instantly use my normal lung to close the distance again to prevent mobs from chasing me across the map like that. Granted that build used it to get the Knock Down from Pounce to trigger fo stacking Enrage up until I switched her to AotB.

As for R3 Eesurgence & Unfettered Strikes... I don't realy have anything else to spend the advantage points on.

I would love to put Challenge on Hurrcane... I really would... But that's not up to me it seems as Cryptic still refuses to add Challenge! to the power.
    jniKqKJ.png
    Hm, so it does seem like Hurricane can't get Challenge. Odd- I don't think that's intended, as iirc it could have CS before the re-vamps to those advs happened.
    I don't think it could... I remember trying to use it for my previous attempt at an Earth + Wind build that was originally going to be a PFF tank but later turned into an even worse failure of an Earth + Force DPS and eventually became my Earth + Ice CC... It's kinda funny though that the 2 failed build concepts on that 1 character eventually found success on 2 other characters (Force + Earth "Telepathy" CC, and now Wind + Earth "Sandstorm" Tank)...

Also... after playing her as a Regen Tank for a bit, I've actually switched to Invuln... I think I'll stick to CON PSS and Invuln on her... Deflection & some Dodge mods should give her an atleast moderate amount of Dodge%, and all that Dex should give her high enough Crit that Adrenaline Rush will keep what little damage she does take healed up... with how she's shaping up so far I might actually be able to use her for Cosmics if I wanted to...dfT7aYa.png​​
    jniKqKJ.png