test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help With Build on Mystic Swordsman

Hello. I've been a lifer for a while and I'm trying to get back into the game. One of the things that inspired this build is some wuxia high fantasy shows. Thunderbolt Fantasy, for example, despite being puppets has some epic combat bits. I'm looking to emulate stuff like that to a large degree. So, that's what inspired the mystic swordsman build. But I seem to be stuck at the moment. Below is what I have so far. I'm taking this guy from initial chargen on up so that anyone who also likes the idea can go off and do this themselves.

Now, here's where I'm stuck. The passive and future powers. I was told that there are some sorcery debuff powers I should look into, but to mix things up is where I'm mainly having the problems. I'm asking for suggestions, ideas, etc. Don't go off and complete the build. It's a concept build that I'm testing and working out as I go to match what I envision.

So far, it looks like I'm trying to aim for crits but I'm not overall sure. As far as "style" he can use either single or dual blade. I took the Reaper's Touch because I like the energy builder's look overall, so that's a good start. Same with Cut Down for my Lunge. Cape Glide looks like classic Wuxia wire fu flying, plus if you use it with mystic strands or the like, it comes out looking like some interesting scarves. The Ego Weaponry and Form of the Tempest are what I'm unsure on. I'm not looking to do the "energy blade" sort of thing a lot. Likewise, my passive is something up in the air. Ego Form seemed okay, but it was like I was missing something. I've also tried Seraphim which didn't work so well.

In any case, here's the build below and I'm hoping to get some good suggestions, ideas, and what not.

Mystic Swordsman - Freeform

Super Stats
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Hexslinger (Dex: 10, Int: 10, Ego: 10, Pre: 8)
Level 6: Showmanship (Ego: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 9: Sniper Training (Dex: 3, Ego: 3, Pre: 3, End: 3)
Level 12: Finesse (Dex: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 15: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 18:
Level 21:

Powers
Level 1: Reaper's Touch
Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Siphoning Strikes)
Level 6: Cut Down (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 8: Form of the Tempest
Level 11:
Level 14: Star Barrage (Light Everlasting, Mystical)
Level 17:
Level 20:
Level 23:
Level 26:
Level 29:
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38:
Adv. Points: 9/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Cape Glide
Level 35:

Specializations
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Exploit Opening (1/2)
Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)

Comments

• stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Reaper's Caress is the flashiest sword move in the game. It also works nicely with Reaper's Embrace. Blade tempest looks nice too. For cross set powers, Form of the Tempest will probably be the easiest to work with. But it depends on what sword powers you go with.

Siphoning Strikes needs a decent crit chance to work well, which might not be easy to do before gearing at 40. Ego blades will work better with sorcery since it all scales with ego, but it's not a huge deal. If you're going to use mostly sword things, then not having ego if you decide to go with single / duel blades is fine.

While leveling, many people use something like Invuln or Regen. What passive you end up with depends on the content you intend to do, how much you want to min/max, and what gear you'll ultimately go for.

Night Warrior buffs all damage types and has defense pen, which can be nice. Invuln is good as a general passive. For a crit offense paranormal build, Shadow Form would probably be better than Seraphim. You'd want con as one of your super stats for the heal effect. I don't think you can benefit from Seraphim's HoT anymore, only other players, but I'm not sure.

Presence PSS has very high crit chance, but your severity suffers. Ego PSS has good chance and severity plus cost discount for ranged powers. Both have Force of Will for defense. Dex PSS has the best severity and good chance, but no Force of Will. Str PSS has good severity, melee only chance, melee cost discount, and Juggernaut, the better version of Force of Will if you have con.

Warlock / Pyro Blades could work as a kind of phantom blade thing. It might be nice in a cooldown build. Using MSA for energy and rotating through several cooldown based powers while relying mostly on your combo in between. Hex of Suffering can be included in such a build. Or the Telepathy dots.

Crashing Incantation and Vorpal Blade could both work, if you have either. Vorpal Blade depends on Focus stacks for damage and it is a mirror clone effect. Crashing Incantation doesn't depend on any form stacks and is basically a fancy magic blast that applies debuffs and damage.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,814 Arc User
    Its more practical to not mix the diff sword weapon powers for single targets- ie. Ego Blades w/ SB or DB from MA, and/or Laser Sword. Its generally better to pick one set and stick w/ it. Do you want ur hero using one blade or two? Do you want the sword(s) to emanate energy or be more conventional?
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
    flowcyto said:

Its more practical to not mix the diff sword weapon powers for single targets- ie. Ego Blades w/ SB or DB from MA, and/or Laser Sword. Its generally better to pick one set and stick w/ it. Do you want ur hero using one blade or two? Do you want the sword(s) to emanate energy or be more conventional?

I was looking at a combination of both, actually. Simple up close bits would be more conventional, long range was going to be the mystic energy sorta bit.

Well, here's an example of a versatile build that combines SB's single-target and cleave dps when up close w/ Sorcery for some ranged options (and magic blades):

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform

Super Stats
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Glacier (Con: 10, End: 10, Dex: 8, Int: 10)
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 9: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 12: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 15: Coordinated (Dex: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Reaper's Caress (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Cut Down
    Level 14: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Star Barrage (Rank 2, Light Everlasting)
    Level 23: Reaper's Embrace (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Hex of Suffering (Rune of Lethargy, Rune of Terror)
    Level 32: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 38: Warlock's Blades (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

Again, just providing an example of how they could be mixed.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    To be honest, this is the opposite of what I was hoping to do. The focus is more on ranged when I am trying to do melee primarily. My only worry with swapping out anything on the SS is that either my critical chance or energy management is going to suffer. The primary key to the critical aspect at the moment is stacking Ego's PSS and Dex. I pretty much have a 1 in 5 chance of critting, which makes the severing strikes worth it.

One thought that comes to mind would be to use Shadow Form and use the Form of the Tempest with Blade Tempest to make it proc like crazy. I would just need some way to do an AoE KB to get the room for something like Star Barrage. Vorpal Blade is on my list of things to acquire here as well.

edited December 2016
    FotT and the Bleed + Rupture playstyle actually makes that build a bit more melee-centric, since it'll have more total bonus dmg to melee and more burst dmg via rupturing bleeds- the ranged stuff is there if you want a longer-ranged option to attack w/, and also for the theme. Shadow Form is actually going to do more of what you accused my build of- since it won't provide a bonus to DB_SB's Physical dmg. You could make an Ego Blade build instead, though, if that's the theme ya want (though w/o ID Mastery, Mental Disc, or Ego Form you'll be using a single blade aesthetically).

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by 'do an AoE KB to get the room for something like Star Barrage'. SBarrage is a smaller 10ft sphere AoE; an AoE KB (assume you mean knockback) would likely scatter groups away from its AoE coverage.
  • dirtydwarf68dirtydwarf68 Posts: 45 Arc User
    Is the burst damage from the bleed ruptures increased by things like Way of the Warrior like the base bleed and slashing damage or is it just a flat amount for everyone regardless of passive or form?
    I believe they are flagged as melee, so you can boost them either by universal dmg bonuses, or via melee bonuses.
    Hm. One thing I would like to possibly avoid is the Bleeds here. While I understand "cool effect" and all, for some reason it doesn't seem heroic to make your enemy drenched in blood.
    edited December 2016
    Okay, then replace Reaper's Caress w/ Blade Tempest, and Reaper's Embrace w/ Dragon's Wrath. Won't be as good single-target dps as SB, but DB can still perform pretty admirably there.
    Hey, bit of an update on the build that started this from the opening post.

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 6: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Martial Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 3)
    Level 12: Sniper Training (Dex: 3, Ego: 3, Pre: 3, End: 3)
    Level 15: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 18:
    Level 21:

Powers
    Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Form of the Tempest
    Level 14: Star Barrage (Mystical)
    Level 17: Warlock's Blades
    Level 20:
    Level 23:
    Level 26:
    Level 29:
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 11/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Cape Glide
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Exploit Opening (1/2)

Surprisingly, I went for Aura of Primal Majesty. I'm still not sure completely why, but it seems to be working well with this. I'm noticing an increase in damage, healing, and all around working out rather than any drawbacks like the other passives were seeming to kick in. I tried it in the PowerHouse simulator up against a few and it somehow fit better. I'm also getting off criticals a lot more (current percent is 23%, so nearly 1/4th of the time I should crit or something) but now I'm slightly stuck again.

What are some decent debuffers that fit the concept so far with this build? I know there is Hex of Suffering, but otherwise I'm running a bit blank. I also probably need a self-heal and if I want to be semi-useful to a party, a further heal than that. I would like to cover those on my next power rather than the Hex at the moment. I also need to consider some sort of block enhancer and where I want my specializations to go. So far, I seem to be shooting for some sort of passive offense/support style from the looks.
    Okay, I guess we're using TK Blades and Sorcery now:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform

Super Stats
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Glacier (Con: 10, End: 10, Dex: 8, Int: 10)
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 9: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 12: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 15: Coordinated (Dex: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Siphoning Strikes)
    Level 6: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Cut Down
    Level 14: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 17: Star Barrage (Rank 2, Light Everlasting)
    Level 20: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity)
    Level 23: Warlock's Blades (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Vala's Light (Rank 2, Light Everlasting)
    Level 29: Hex of Suffering (Rune of Lethargy, Rune of Terror)
    Level 32: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 38: Rebirth
    Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

If taking Ego Weaponry, you'll want EBA as a finisher for spike dmg- ur melee dps will be a bit low otherwise.
    Okay, since it is lost in previous posts I'm pointing this out. Overall, this is a concept build. It's idea is "mystic swordsman" with a heavy inclination towards swordsman. NOT throwing around magic blasts of energy or energy knives from a distance. The idea is that you WANT to be in melee. You WANT to be right there with the villain trading sword blows in epic style fashion.

With that in mind, here's the thing. I'm building this from the ground up so if someone likes the concept? They can follow in my footsteps and go nuts on it from level 1 all the way up. It may seem silly, yes, but it is the way I like to do things. Anyone can go off and build something from level 40 and have fun with it. Me? I want the adventure to be when you get there or you can skip it.

There's also a lot of inspiration behind the concept. If you look around, I'm sure there's plenty of wuxia films that go over the top besides the ones noted.

Now, with those points up there here's the thing. Don't finish the build. Go with the flow of it. Look at what I have and see how, as far as someone swinging around any type of sword? What would you change, adapt, or restyle rather than going off on past experiences. Shoot, I'd encourage any responders to make a new character and give the build up to now a try. See what you think. My own toon with this runs around with a medium wushu sword on his single blade and a telekinetic short sword.

Now, here's a run down of why I picked what I did in my build:

Super-Stats:
    Ego - Purely critical chance, plus ranged damage if it comes down to it. I picked this before I even considered Ego Weaponry.
    Dexterity - Again, critical chance. Hexslinger working with it was just icing on the cake for me so far.
    Intelligence - Energy management. Since I already had Hexslinger, I figured go with it. Now that Aura of Primal Majesty is in there, I've got almost no problems with energy overall.

Talents:
    Hexslinger - Obviously, works with my SS pretty well.
    Shooter - Initially, I was going Ego and Dex. After I saw the benefits possible, I kept it there mostly because eventually I'm going to run out of multi-talents with them and these two are the bread and butter to the build's super stats.
    Martial Training, Sniper Training, Covert Ops Training - Multi-stat talents that basically lead towards greater super-stats and buffs non-ss stats to benefit in different ways that are while minimal, beneficial so far.

Powers:
    Reaper's Touch - Easily, as stated before by previous commentators, one of the best visuals for swords in the game. If anyone is borrowing the build, you're free to look at others. I highly recommend a melee one as even if you're standing there doing the taunt finger pointing, you get some energy back.
    Ego Weaponry - As I have previously stated, I don't believe it is heroic to have your enemies so littered in cuts, bleeding everywhere that they are drenched in blood. Ego Weaponry was my choice because some of the telekinetic sword models can overlap with the single blade styles and look like you just pulled off a mystic sword move. Further, just in case you have the attention of something you have Siphoning Strikes. This works off of your pure critical super stats.
    Cut Down - Playing off of the Single Blade, you're basically charging in with your normal sword. Yep, your normal sword. If you want to play off of the "mystic sword move" angle similiar to Ego Weaponry, you can also take Ego Blade Dash instead.
    Aura of Primal Majesty - Now I'm sure some are going "Why not an offensive passive?" Simple. You have multiple damage types. Picking any one passive will cause the others to suffer. Plus... this more easily benefits the super-stats. You have an extra amount of Ego, Dexterity, and Intelligence to run with. Further, this is boosting the non-super-stats to encourage up the soft cap on various stats. Overall, it means you heal better, critical better, and do more damage.
    Form of the Tempest - This is basically where your critical build is leading as far as forms. If, after reading the whys you decide to take more Ego Blade powers than Single Blade or Dual Blade, I would encourage to look at another Form option for this. Form of the Tempest works off of any critical values, thus you can use it with Ego Weaponry or later powers.
    Star Barrage - I was initially skeptical, but after seeing the animation it stuck with me. The idea behind Star Barrage being included is that it looks like you are simply holding your hand and manifesting whatever mystic power you have to bombard the enemy. Whether it be brief swords, fireworks, etc. I like it here. It stuck. Shoot, it could even be punching that fast if you get technical. Plus, Mystical tends to help for any Celestial/Shadow/Sorcery powers you pick up. If you want a more safe option, you can apply Light Everlasting to it as well since the combination of the Aura and Super-Stats almost guarantees you'll fully maintain this.
    Warlock's Blades - I'm still in the air about this power. The intial idea of phantom blades was appealing. However, I am on the fence about it because the animation is not that good and takes away from the swordsman's appeal.
    edited December 2016
    I guess ur new around here, and I guess you are a teacher, since its normal to directly reply to the person giving advice instead of making a reply-lecture loosely based on it.

Well, I'm not here to explore my own builds based on your concept or w/e. I'm here to give you advice directly on how to better optimize the build that you are currently making- and yea, that includes finishing it (since that means also planning for future powers and how you may play at max level, which you have to do eventually- unless this toon is going to be parked at a low level or abandoned as soon as you hit lvl 40). It seems like you are still trying to find ur concept, and that's alright, but that's largely up to you to explore. I'm here to tell you what may or may not work well regardless of concept.

(Also, don't assume that because someone posts a full build that its a lvl 40 retcon-only build. Many of my builds are also leveling-friendly, though they may have to have some powers re-ordered based on preferences and whatnot.)
    flowcyto said:

I guess ur new around here, and I guess you are a teacher, since its normal to directly reply to the person giving advice instead of making a reply-lecture loosely based on it.

Well, I'm not here to explore my own builds based on your concept or w/e. I'm here to give you advice directly on how to better optimize the build that you are currently making- and yea, that includes finishing it (since that means also planning for future powers and how you may play at max level, which you have to do eventually- unless this toon is going to be parked at a low level or abandoned as soon as you hit lvl 40). It seems like you are still trying to find ur concept, and that's alright, but that's largely up to you to explore. I'm here to tell you what may or may not work well regardless of concept.

(Also, don't assume that because someone posts a full build that its a lvl 40 retcon-only build. Many of my builds are also leveling-friendly, though they may have to have some powers re-ordered based on preferences and whatnot.)

To be fair, I posted in the opening for ideas/suggestions/etc and asked for people not to do the complete build thing. It's mostly what irked me. I apologize for the lecture-seeming post, but it was again in the opening post. The second replier had the right idea.

It's not always about "this is what works with this" to me. If that's the case, then I might as well quit while I'm ahead, hit random on the character creator, and just go with the powerset alone. In any case, enough said on that. Again, I'm looking for the ideas/suggestions for help. You have valid suggestions and ideas. That's what I'd like rather than seeing full on builds.

If you want an instance where you might be able to help, with what I have now, what would you suggest to replace Warlock's Blades or as a heal of some sort that works with both myself and others?
  • nightdugallenightdugalle Posts: 17 Arc User

flowcyto said:

To be fair, I posted in the opening for ideas/suggestions/etc and asked for people not to do the complete build thing. It's mostly what irked me. I apologize for the lecture-seeming post, but it was again in the opening post. The second replier had the right idea.

It's not always about "this is what works with this" to me. If that's the case, then I might as well quit while I'm ahead, hit random on the character creator, and just go with the powerset alone. In any case, enough said on that. Again, I'm looking for the ideas/suggestions for help. You have valid suggestions and ideas. That's what I'd like rather than seeing full on builds.

If you want an instance where you might be able to help, with what I have now, what would you suggest to replace Warlock's Blades or as a heal of some sort that works with both myself and others?
    Came to the wrong place then because what you will get 90% of the time is full on builds AS suggestions to try and fit your theme. Flow along with others so far have been the best and most knowledgeable help on these servers and help me with a few of my character concepts not ONLY fit a theme but be bad @$$ at it as well.
    edited December 2016
    Well, if you want to keep some Sorcery theme up, Vala's Light can be good as a heal here, esp since ur a melee unit and healing you w/ it will also heal anyone around you. The heal itself is a bit more costly and can be charged (unlike Conviction which is instant-only and heals you for a bit more upfront). Its also a cd so it can proc MSA. I'm not sure if you want something like another heal that can hit allies along w/ something like Conviction (mostly for you), but that's also kinda up to you and/or depending on how much you find you need the extra healing (prob not much if using Siphoning Strikes).

And this is where I can't help w/ concept much, due to more subjectivity. Like, in my version of a Mystic Swordsman I wouldn't necc rule out conjured magic swords like the Warlock Blades, but if ur version is more wuxia and less outright arcane or magician-like, then maybe that doesn't jive. Its not really my place to rule on that for you, but if attacks from other powersets piqued ur interest, could always give some feedback to their efficiency.

I will also say that although Ego Weaponry is nice self-healing w/ Siphoning adv, it is pretty low dps melee filler (esp since you take away crit hits to make self-heals from it). Its why I put EBA in my last build- if you want to be more in melee, charged EBA at 4-5 Ego Leech stacks (built up from Ego Weaponry) gives you some burst dps that just spamming the basic combo won't give.
    flowcyto said:

Well, if you want to keep some Sorcery theme up, Vala's Light can be good as a heal here, esp since ur a melee unit and healing you w/ it will also heal anyone around you. The heal itself is a bit more costly and can be charged (unlike Conviction which is instant-only and heals you for a bit more upfront). Its also a cd so it can proc MSA. I'm not sure if you want something like another heal that can hit allies along w/ something like Conviction (mostly for you), but that's also kinda up to you and/or depending on how much you find you need the extra healing (prob not much if using Siphoning Strikes).

And this is where I can't help w/ concept much, due to more subjectivity. Like, in my version of a Mystic Swordsman I wouldn't necc rule out conjured magic swords like the Warlock Blades, but if ur version is more wuxia and less outright arcane or magician-like, then maybe that doesn't jive. Its not really my place to rule on that for you, but if attacks from other powersets piqued ur interest, could always give some feedback to their efficiency.

I will also say that although Ego Weaponry is nice self-healing w/ Siphoning adv, it is pretty low dps melee filler (esp since you take away crit hits to make self-heals from it). Its why I put EBA in my last build- if you want to be more in melee, charged EBA at 4-5 Ego Leech stacks (built up from Ego Weaponry) gives you some burst dps that just spamming the basic combo won't give.

Sadly, more wuxia... plus for some reason the whole phantom person doing Eye of the Storm doesn't appeal to me on the animation. I understand it fits some concepts, but not mine. I did find a solution to my means to get out of dodge quick, however. Evasive Maneuvers. I plan on placing the Threat Wipe/Stealth advantage on it.

So far, I've been pointed when asking on two channels I'm on towards a few different heals here. The EBA is definitely something I'm considering for it's bonus and burst damage.

As far as the healing, I have been pointed to two others besides your suggestion. Empathic Healing and Arcane Vitality. Do you have any input on them? I plan on experimenting with those on my next power buy since I am noticing that healing is something probably needed now that I'm having troubles in the 20's.
    edited December 2016
    Arcane Vit is decent for a spammable AoE heal that can also be used on you (though when used on self its not an AoE), though as a cone heal you'd prob have to back off melee a bit if you wanted to hit other melee in a cone w/ it. Empathic is single target, and its heal ramps up as you channel it; its main asset over Arcane Vit is prob being able to move while casting it on urself (though not on allies). Since they are both spammable, neither will proc MSA, but you won't be waiting on a cd either. Up to you; healing style will vary a bit based on the heal(s) chosen.
    Hey, bit of an update. Went with Arcane Vitality for the heal. It's suitably kung fu enough to work for a wuxia style, and the coloring effects allow it to give the feel of spiritual healing.

I did notice one thing and it's an "oops" on my part. It's actually helped a lot as I'm noticing more heals and better heals as they crit. Instead of Follow Through, I should've taken 2 in. I also realize I should save Cape Glide for later as it's hard to get around and prone to accidents in some alerts. (I literally got locked out of the firewalls in Cybermind because I hit it to speed up and catch up with the party. Cutscene hit and I kept going.)

Another thing I noticed, and it might be odd but I went Support and somehow I am doing more damage even with ego weaponry than full teams in Alerts. Any ideas as to why from those commenting/following this thread? I just find it odd. I'm healing others half the time, and when I do damage, I'm doing enough that the health bar is visibly going down on the boss. I've seen it about three or four times so far and I'm in Support.

In any case, here's the update so far on the build. The next parts I'm planning on are Ego Blade Annhiliation, an active offense (Ascension? Not sure what would benefit more out of the available ones.), Dragon's Bite (Rush effect, plus the advantage for an add ender), and probably need to look into blocks possibly. Blocks I am iffy on. Ultimates are another thing I need to look into. Vorpal Blade is an obvious one, so is Crashing Incantation.

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 6: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Martial Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 3)
    Level 12: Sniper Training (Dex: 3, Ego: 3, Pre: 3, End: 3)
    Level 15: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 18: Command Training (Int: 3, Ego: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 3)
    Level 21: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)

Powers
    Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Form of the Tempest
    Level 14: Star Barrage (Mystical)
    Level 17: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
    Level 20: Arcane Vitality (Impart Freedom)
    Level 23: Ego Blade Annihilation (Mental Acuity)
    Level 26:
    Level 29:
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 17/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Ninja Leaves
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Exploit Opening (2/2)
    Arbiter: Enforcer (1/3)
    Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
    Ascension is the only AO that will make it look like you're doing aerial combat without an actual flight power. It's kind of weird to get used to moving with it on.

Imbue gives more crit chance. Ego Surge + Nimble Mind won't do much without decent con. Ego Surge w/o nm does still give extra ego which would help boost the damage of your ego blade build, but crit chance would probably be more helpful. Lock'n'Load will probably be theme breaking being a reload sound and I think animation.

My favorite blocks for looks are Antagonize (Bestial / arms crossed in front of you) and Guard with invisible weapons (Heavy Weapons / both hands out in front of you, ready to deflect / grab attacks or weapons). TK shield has overly powerful full body effect that I dislike. Parry lets you do some kicking action while blocking as a reflect effect. Retaliation looks exactly like the default block, but gives you a counter attack bonus.

Not sure if Fury of the Dragon would be theme breaking for you, but is another option that scales with focus. Meltdown, maybe. I don't think it scales with any forms, but it is a laser sword that you can't make invisible. You basically just slam your sword into the ground after a bit of floatiness. Gravity Driver and Fractal Aegis are support / defense ults that might work. Grav Driver you just hold your hands out in front of you and things get dumped on enemy heads. Fractal Aegis is a quick arms moving out, a water ripple like aoe effect, and floating ice crystals.
    edited January 2017

Another thing I noticed, and it might be odd but I went Support and somehow I am doing more damage even with ego weaponry than full teams in Alerts. Any ideas as to why from those commenting/following this thread? I just find it odd. I'm healing others half the time, and when I do damage, I'm doing enough that the health bar is visibly going down on the boss. I've seen it about three or four times so far and I'm in Support.

Are you getting and keeping aggro on bosses? You may be dealing w/ players even lower level than you sometimes.

I prob would prioritize normal ranks of Arcane Vit, since its special adv requires a full maintain. I also wouldn't skip out on a severity-boosting option in any spec tree (here, Follow Through).

As far as AOs: Ego Surge /w NM isn't going to be as good w/o Con gearing; I would pick between Imbue, Ice Sheath, or Lock N Load if ur Con stat is going to be rather low.

I don't consider ultimates necessary, but if you want one then Fury of the Dragon, as mentioned, can be pretty good for a Focus user. Otherwise, Vorpal Blade and Crashing Incantation are decent if you like their theme more.

Most block enhancers perform the same basic function, so generally you could just browse their looks/effects and see which ones suit your theme most. If you find yourself blocking often, though, then certain ones can be better suited to turtling (like Ebon Void w/ VD adv or Antagonize), and Force Shield w/ Sheath adv can help w/ energy (if that's an issue).
    I'm unsure at this time. Is there some way to tell what level they are outside of the alert? Also, thanks for the thematic ideas there, you two. I didn't think of the Heavy Weapons block. That could prove interesting. I'm noticing that the advantage isn't worth it and plan on fixing that now. More healing would be welcome, I think. I'll have to check out the others to see how they work and the animation. If Lock N Load has some sort of animation, I might go for one of the others.

Fury of the Dragon is one of the ones I've been eyeing. I'll have to look it over again. Meltdown... eh... I'd rather avoid it so far if the animation is basically stabbing the laser sword in the ground. Vorpal Blade and Crashing Incantation are two on the top of the ultimate list. As for Gravity Driver, I've had that before. Not sure it would work so well. Fractal Aegis... eh... I'll have to give it a go. The main problem is it's a tanking-centric ultimate. And I think the thing's even got a high threat grab, something that isn't good for the build at the moment even then.
    If you open the social window in an alert and look at the search tab, it will tell you the real level of everyone in your alert.
    sterga said:

If you open the social window in an alert and look at the search tab, it will tell you the real level of everyone in your alert.

Cool. I'll check it next few times it happens.