test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Very Unofficial State of the Game, November 2016

canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
edited November 2016 in Champions Online Discussion
Time for another one. Who the hell do I think I am? An out of touch idiot who can’t even tank a giant flaming ape? Yeah, but I’m giving my opinions anyway, and some suggestions that will be ignored.

First, the good news, the game is in much better shape over the last year than it’s been in a long time. If every dev team had pulled its weight as well as the current ones, this game would be in far better shape. To be fair, it looks like Cryptic has wisely left the team alone to develop, and the dedication the team has shown has been awesome. We actually have an end game. The power sets are much improved in terms of balance. The costume editor improvements are great. The game’s monetization is much improved as well, and the QoL improvements, such as the revisions to the AH, are welcome.

I just wish the game pop reflected this. And that’s the bad news, despite the improvements and being a better game, despite having greater direction, despite having more to do, our pop has gone down. And there are two reasons for this.

1. The game is old, and not seen as sexy. CO desperately needs something that will grab gamer’s imaginations and come back.

2. The game’s grind is overdone. Grind in itself is not a bad thing, it provides direction. But the devs REALLY need to study the principles of behaviorism. You make the effort-reward cycle too much effort for insufficient reward. Cut the costs of SCR, GCR, and other grind gear in half. Reconsider anything that locks an item to a single character. It’s making you look greedy and petty. Champions Online is in competition with every game on the market. MMOs are in decline. You need to reduce the barriers to success, not make them harder. I repeat THE GAME’S GRIND IS OVERDONE. Cryptic has a negative reputation for being a petty cash grabbing company, mostly for Neverwinter. You must NOT reinforce this reputation. Don’t tell us to embrace the grind. Ease up on it, at least a little. Focus on those items that have received the most complaints from a broad section of the community. A few voices, however loud, can be ignored. A chorus, particularly when it has had time to consider the change, should not be.

And now for ignorable suggestions.

1. Make it easy to gift this game. Make it easy to gift subs, and additional time to existing (and long dormant) accounts. Help us evangelize the game. Hold a sale where you can purchase vehicles and costume sets at a discount for existing accounts. Hold a half price sale for gifting subs to any account that’s been inactive for three years or longer.

2. We’ve been reinforcing existing power sets and doing extremely well. Now it’s time to give us a new power set. Sonic, please.

3. The nemesis system. I’ve written so much about this elsewhere. I’ll give you one suggestion.

We can’t do the foundry. Sad. But maybe we can do something simpler, a custom nemesis mission editor.

Players get to chose:
1. One of a number of pre-existing maps. No editor needed.

2. Easy, Medium, or Hard settings. These affect the number of minions. Easy has a single type; Medium gives you an additional minion type, chosen at random from the same minion type. Hard gives you three minion types and allows you to choose two existing villains as sub-bosses. All minions and sub-bosses are pre-placed.

3. This is your nemesis, but with one of the three additional powers, depending on the nemesis power type.

4. Text. Give us the ability to input intro text and end text and dialogue for a nemesis cut scene.
Coming in a later update:

1. Play as a Nemesis. Similar to Onslaught, or allow yourself to do a full build and play as an enhanced nemmy in PVP.

Some sort of reward system would be required; you folks have shown yourself perfectly capable of inventing this.

Also, PLEASE fix that bug where we can’t read nemmy bios! Please show basic respect for the work that players have put into crafting them. Stop insulting us, which is what you’re telling us by your inaction that this bug is not a priority fix. Our creative efforts matter.

PVP needs some love. I'll let the PVP community speak up for themselves, but I hope you can find some way to show love to that pack of lovable crazies. :)

This is pretty much it for now. Good luck devs and thank you.
/CanadaBanner4.jpg
Post edited by canadascott on

Comments

• xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    This is a good game, it could easily be a great game. I agree with a lot of the points Thundrax has raised, Well said, Sir! Now the hard part- will anything be done about them? I sure hope so!

• stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Crazy grind, same terrible level design, inferior story telling, fewer devs, everything of value in lockboxes, game economy destroying lockboxes, anti-alt changes, same crappy AT template, event overload, zero QA updates, fewer viable main tank passives for new content, telepathy being more of a hot mess, bestial still being the melee gold standard, cross-set friendly EUs getting nerfed, and more annoying mobs are not improvements.

Potential isn't good enough and that's all CO ever had.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    The grind it's good in any game while the reward is somewhat equal at the work of the grind.

Is not the case in CO, where the "gear" from the exchange is way way expensive than what you can get per day. The worst is the "wait" time in format of CAP the refine of the Questionite.

Why is there a day cap? Is beyond me truly... if you alredy have reduced rewards in the runs of the Rampages, basis daylies from APB, Grab, Smash, Burst and the Montly from Vigilante, so at you time grinded they add another day barrier where you only can refine 8000Q making the process of getting somenthing from the Exchange a tedious chore.

Then comes to the Nemesis and the Nemesis Token, in the time right now I have only 20 Nemesis Token and I already Lv39 (hitting 40)... 20 tokens only from the nearly 600 minimal I need to get Heirlooms, and my Nemesis is already in prison. So I need to make 30 Nemesis more to get 3 pieces of Heirloom.

TL;DR: The rewards aren't appropiated for the hours/days of grind and the Q Cap is somenthing is needed to get rid of the game.
    Post edited by jojenmaihem on
  • highjusticarhighjusticar Posts: 140 Arc User
    The game could make far more money if they cut the costs of the FF slot to $20.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    I enthusiastically support Scott's proposals, and would add only one more - once you've reduced the grind and made it possible to gift things to other accounts, advertise!! Word of mouth is nice, and it's free, but when the population of the game is as limited as ours is, there just aren't enough mouths. PWE has an advertising budget - I've seen ads for a lot of games. They even buy ads for Neverwinter. So how's about a little of that stream gets diverted to letting people know that CO is still around, and still fun?​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I agree on a lot of those point. One thing that is happening is those loyal players who suffered during the hell that was 2012-2014 who had no content but just our own creativity to entertain us.....they are leaving and they aren't playing the new content.

Devs should ask why.

I think it's the grind. These rewards look nice and all but who wants to spend all that work collecting tokens and favors and whatever else. It's basically saying "hey look at all this new fun stuff....that you will never get"

I'd love to buy a lot of those devices but it's only for theme gameplay. I don't want to level and farm the crap out of one toon just to have that one little device (only for one character). I mean there are a pair of AF that are 975 each.... why?!? They do nothing for you. There is no reason for that. No matter what the devs want to believe, this BoP and single character use stuff does not create playability, it creates frustration and abandonment.

How's that F&I and TA going?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I agree on a lot of those point. One thing that is happening is those loyal players who suffered during the hell that was 2012-2014 who had no content but just our own creativity to entertain us.....they are leaving and they aren't playing the new content.
    URG, The year which PWE moved all the DEVs to work on NWO after the darn ON ALERT update, CO suffered with no updates and bug fixes

It was a Dark Age for CO, really dark, CO was in Maintenance mode
    How's that F&I and TA going?

Teleios Ascendant is going GREAT actually, people run it on daily basis, I'm available as Tank-OffTank or DPS

Fire and Ice on the other hand... it's dead Jim, DEAD
    The Justice Gear should have complety removed the Tokens, now you have to grind GCR/SCR and be a SLAVE to RNG

It sucks, I should had jumped in the Rampage bandwagon one last time before this change hit live, now Im stuck with a character with only 1 Justice Gear​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited November 2016

Time for another one. Who the hell do I think I am? An out of touch idiot who can’t even tank a giant flaming ape? Yeah, but I’m giving my opinions anyway, and some suggestions that will be ignored.

Anyone familiar with Scott Bennie's professional credits should know to give his opinions and suggestions on this game serious consideration.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    avianos said:

Fire and Ice is mostly dead because there's competition for entertainment; you had a significant number of people who would just run it for something to do (as they didn't need hypercooled imbrignite), and now those people instead run cosmics.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Bit of a derail, but . . .

Then comes to the Nemesis and the Nemesis Token, in the time right now I have only 20 Nemesis Token and I already Lv39 (hitting 40)... 20 tokens only from the nearly 600 minimal I need to get Heirlooms, and my Nemesis is already in prison. So I need to make 30 Nemesis more to get 3 pieces of Heirloom.

Is this your Nemesis first time in prison? Or second (after Deathray Demolition)?
    Also, Nemesis Confrontation (NemCon) nets you some tokens.

Most importantly, the second time you run Nemesis missions (with old or new Nem), all the token rewards go up significantly, maybe 50% higher. The third time, higher still. If you want Nemesis Heirloom gear, it actually doesn't take long. Half a dozen Nem storylines, maybe less.

Back to the main thread:

1. no idea about gifting the game--might bring in some new folks--does Cryptic have gifting for other games?

2. Oh, yes--please give a sonicset. Heck, any new power set would be great.

3. This would be the thing that could potential bring waves of players back. Any sort of addition to the Nemesis system, especially if it allowed some minor, formulaic player content, would be AMAZING.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I just wish the game pop reflected this. And that’s the bad news, despite the improvements and being a better game, despite having greater direction, despite having more to do, our pop has gone down.

I agree with the statement but not with the reasoning. Why has the game population gone down? Well (and speaking as someone who has barely played for the last three months and who is on the point of cancelling my gold sub and walking away)... the game's balance and enjoyment level is in a worse state than it was 18 months ago. CO remains an old, odd, complicated game with a low population and misbehaving game client (especially to those of us in the EU, where what is shown on the screen is most certainly not what is happening in the game). And yet development resource appears to be focused on:

a) nerfing the obvious sources of power while leaving the subtle ones untouched
    b) creating new content of a difficulty level almost completely unrelated to the rest of the game
    c) pulling up all the rewards so that you have to conquer the new, difficult content (with added grind) to get all the things that people used to get by sparring a few rounds with Gravitar and praying to the RNGesus.

My advice to the developers would be to leave things alone for a bit in terms of power sets and revisions (particularly if all you can do is make them work the same way and mess up cross-set powers), concentrate on creating some content which is fun for solo players, and have a big think about the mid-end game (levels 35 and up, UNITY, first generation lairs) and how you can structure rewards to offer something which people will want to play, repeatedly, without waiting for a month to form a team. I do have ideas about this.... will write them down at some point (you have been warned....!)
    edited November 2016
    gradii said:

Actually fire and ice is dead becuase no one bothers to get justice gear when it requires GCR AND RNG hell tokens, when they can just farm GCR for distinguished.

If all the Rampages were comparable to F&I, I'd totally run them to get justice gear. The problem is that you have to endure Lemurian Invasion and Sky Command, both of which are terrible, and there's no point to getting partial sets of gear, you want all of them or none.

OTOH, adding 10-kill perks for all the rampages and then requiring those perks for justice gear (instead of the tokens) is something I could get behind. Not that I want to run LI or SC ten times per character, but at least it's predictable then.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

avianos said:

Fire and Ice is mostly dead because there's competition for entertainment; you had a significant number of people who would just run it for something to do (as they didn't need hypercooled imbrignite), and now those people instead run cosmics.
    Which is now a problem. As I need one of those for Justice Gear.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Oh. And more stances/emotes. The ones that already exist.

Stance Name: Stance Used
    Confident: Hands on Hip
    Heroic Disapproving: Arms Folded
    Heroic Casual: Wall Lean

They should have been in years ago. Many years ago.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    There are spurts of activity for SC, LI and F&I in the dead time after all the Cosmics have been killed. Not nearly what it once was, but still possible to do them.

avianos said:

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited November 2016
    I get more bone weary doing Cosmics than I ever did from Rampages. By the time I was done getting the Distinguished gear for one of my guys I didn't want to play him any more for several months. I recently finished my first "new school" set of JG. Getting the tokens using a variety of characters was relatively enjoyable. Grinding out the GCR and SCR using just one character was far more tedious, and as a result that character is now going on vacation for awhile (someone else will need to bring the AoAC). The Bind to Character currency has been the biggest blight on my enjoyment of end game content ever.
    gradii said:

avianos said:

Not even gonna bother mentioning how ridiculously overpriced ALL the gear is, but becuase its ALL overpriced... why bother with justice anymore?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    I've never gotten through TA. I tried a couple times early on but people would bail on it. Left a terribly sour taste in my mouth.
    gradii said:

avianos said:

Teleios Ascendant is going GREAT actually, people run it on daily basis, I'm available as Tank-OffTank or DPS

​​

Not when its nearly always the same 15 people who run it.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • edited December 2016
    One thing that might make the game more fun and easier to embrace for Neverwinter players is to help them understand that they don't have to play this like World of Warcraft. Inform players in the tutorial that they can play the game similar to Neverwinter's control settings and key bind layout. Then make the option the simple click of a button as opposed to having to fool around with the control settings and key binds for a half hour. If only active dodging could be incorporated, that would make combat so much more fun. But I suppose that would be too much to hope for. As for the grinding, though I haven't played Champions a whole lot yet, I'm sure it's bad. Grinding, which is never fun, seems to be a core part of the mmorpg experience for some reason. But if this game could find a way to gain and keep more new players, maybe Cryptic could gain the momentum and financing to create a Champions 2 that incorporated the full Neverwinter combat system. I have some ideas for what they could do with that, but I'll save them for later.
    Post edited by safespacecadet#3341 on
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited December 2016

I get more bone weary doing Cosmics than I ever did from Rampages. By the time I was done getting the Distinguished gear for one of my guys I didn't want to play him any more for several months. I recently finished my first "new school" set of JG. Getting the tokens using a variety of characters was relatively enjoyable. Grinding out the GCR and SCR using just one character was far more tedious, and as a result that character is now going on vacation for awhile (someone else will need to bring the AoAC). The Bind to Character currency has been the biggest blight on my enjoyment of end game content ever.

gradii said:

avianos said:

Not even gonna bother mentioning how ridiculously overpriced ALL the gear is, but becuase its ALL overpriced... why bother with justice anymore?
    Abso-f*&%ing-lutely agree.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    Changing the combat system to what Neverwinter uses would be a terrible change. A lot of people quit both DCUO and NWO when they found out the games used a twitch based control scheme.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User

1. Make it easy to gift this game. Make it easy to gift subs,

This.

On the past year I have come around the trouble of wanting to make gifts to 2 friends both who don't have a credit card, and had to resort to using Steam Cards for a FF slot, when what I wanted was to gift LTS during sale.

Also, a discount gift system would also be a good idea. As in, you buy a Gift FF Slot that costs $30 instead of $50, but you can't use it yourself, the system emails it to whoever you type to and it binds to that person. If you are worried about sales dropping, make this Gift System a "Weekend Sale" kind of event.
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Posts: 9 Arc User
    Yes to sonic.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I see we have the usual assortment of peanuts with their usual opinions here. If there's one thing I've lost enthusiasm for it's rehashing the same old arguments once again.
  • > @draogn said:
    > Changing the combat system to what Neverwinter uses would be a terrible change. A lot of people quit both DCUO and NWO when they found out the games used a twitch based control scheme.

I don't know about DCUO, but NWO is certainly a lot more popular than this game.
  • > @gradii said:
    > Changing the combat system to what Neverwinter uses would be a terrible change. A lot of people quit both DCUO and NWO when they found out the games used a twitch based control scheme.
    >
    > I love NWO's control system, it's a huge step forward for MMOs but CHANGING CO's existing system would be a bad idea.

Yes, but a Champions 2 with NWO's control system would be a lot more fun than this game imho.

> @draogn said:

I don't know about DCUO, but NWO is certainly a lot more popular than this game.

NWO is more popular, but it probably doesn't have much to do with the control system. Supers have never been especially popular, and Neverwinter is easily a bigger IP than Champions.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I see we have the usual assortment of peanuts with their usual opinions here. If there's one thing I've lost enthusiasm for it's rehashing the same old arguments once again.
    And yet, here you are, with your usual opinion as well...​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

gradii wrote: »
    Changing the combat system to what Neverwinter uses would be a terrible change. A lot of people quit both DCUO and NWO when they found out the games used a twitch based control scheme.

I love NWO's control system, it's a huge step forward for MMOs but CHANGING CO's existing system would be a bad idea.
    I hate NW's control system on the PC. It's excellently suited to console controls, however.

If CO's system changed to that - well, for starters they'd have to get rid of a lot of powers; I've tried using the built-in Xbox control scheme with CO, and the clumsy alt-key tricks needed to utilize even a sizeable fraction of my super's abilities are just so cumbersome.​​

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    jonsills said:

Here's my opinion

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Came in as I do looking to poke holes in stuff. Can't. All majestic ideas that should be implemented. I'll go back under my bridge now.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    Cryptic did something good when they consolidated all those extraneous currencies into Until Recognition. Maybe they should do that with silver and gold (and any other "special") recognition. Then they could have a small amount earned from regular missions, a somewhat greater amount from open missions (like Chimera on Monster Island), and the greatest amount from the content that already gives it. Then they could lower the cost for those items. This way, we could earn them just by playing for a LONG time if we don't like the usual content, but the usual content could net us stuff much faster.

Have to add 2 things about the open missions though:
    (1) The open missions do have levels. After a certain +x level (4 levels above maybe?) no special recognition could occur. You'd have to go to an open mission with a higher level to get it--and thus gain a reason to go to other zones. It would also be better than the paltry secondary gear you normally get, which I often don't work on the character I just used.
    (2) I recently fought Chimera with a Tempest. I did so much more damage than the others that my points were about 5 times the next person's...but that person was the healer who kept me alive during that time. If "special recognition" were tied to open missions, it would have to be a set amount for everyone who was in the fight area actually fighting (INCLUDING HEALING) for a while; I don't mean latecomers should get nothing--that mission has a time limit and every person who helps should get something, but if a healer is there the whole time, keeping damagers alive, that healer shouldn't get shanked on the amount of "special recognition".

Lastly, tougher content that isn't end-game stuff (Telieos Tower from Henry Cronyn in Canada, for example, not to be confused with "Teleios Ascendant") could give some extra for completion since it's relatively hard compared to outside the Tower; you could even get a bit more than usual if you solo it.
    edited December 2016

They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    Oh, Nepht, your sense of humor is entertainingly brutal.
    edited December 2016
    a1fighter said:

1) Marvel

2) DC Universe Online

3) Champions Online

Soon it could be

1)Marvel

2) DC Universe Online

3) Valiance Online

4) Champions Online

That would be bad. I said some things out of anger, but you guys have to pick it up, there is no room for 4 super hero MMOs because this is a niche genre to begin with.

DC has stepped it up with the time capsules which contain styles and materials, open world content people have been begging for, and a stat revamp, plus larger scale content.

Marvel Heroes reintroduced themselves in 2016 with a graphics overhaul, now it is your turn.

Your move CO

Or could be dis.

1) Marvel

2) DC Universe Online

3) Champions Online

4) Git Gud Scrub its against forum TOS to advertise for your own products that you either work on or do PR for also nobody cares also get out.

Thats my predictions. Also...

also

But yeah still get out.

-Marvel isn't a be your own super hero game.
    -DC is be a super heroes sidekick game.
    -Valiance is a isn't...

-Valiance is a isn't...

Majestic. You nailed it. It really is just isn't.

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    When you say things like "Champions is running out of time" with total certainty, it really doesn't sound like you want them to "pull it together." You come off as a total shill for Valiance every time you post. If you keep it up, posting about how Champions is doomed while Valiance is the only hope, I'll be deleting your posts since all you're doing is stirring the pot.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited December 2016
    There is a lot of truth, but Valiance and CoT being the game to destroy CO, is not it.

If anything it will divide the already small community that play super hero games and all three games will suffer. Then we will be left with Marvel and DC...joy.