test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AoPM vs "Insert Slotted Passive Offensive/Hybrid/Defensive Here"

jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
edited November 2016 in Power Discussion
This is a question I have every time building a toon.

What can be more effective in the long road?

AoPM giving me lot of stats so they can improve me all around (HP, Crit, Dodge...) or get straight away an Slotted Passive adecuated for my damage type (Using Meele+Bleed the best choices are Way of the Warrior and Unstoppable)?

Both choices are tempting for everything they can do, so I wanted to hear another opinions from people that is more versed and veteran in this.

Thanks for your time with this question.

Comments

• notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    It's really a case of what you're aiming for... say you're making a DPS, the biggest advntage of over AoPM is the fact that you can use it in the approate offensive role, resulting in a much higher damage output overall...if you're making a tank, the defense gained by say.. defiance or invul faaar outweighs the overall stat boost from AoPM, supports however can actually make propper use of AoPM sooo in a nutsehll

AoPM = faffing about or support/pet/CC toons
    Everything else = apporate role for what they make
    Unless you're doing PvP.. in which case.. literally anything can work in theory.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    AoPM is the one jack-of-all-trades passive in CO. Its valuable if you want to be somewhat strong in multiple areas and/or want to be a strong buff-based support (cause CO doesn't have as many ally buff powers; there's more debuffs avail), and it doesn't matter what the underlying build is. But yeah it ultimately depends on what ur priorities are for the build, cause AoPM is rarely the optimal choice for any single pursuit, but perhaps that doesn't matter if you aren't trying to be laser-focused on something w/ the build. I would say that AoPM is a bit more offensive and than defensive, though, so its a better option for builds that aren't trying to be serious PvE tanks.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
    Good to know it better.

So AoPM in words can be used as Passive for those builds you don't have a proper use (for example a Mine/Grenades powers only), and to level toons it's useful too.

Thanks for the help guy, this going to make easy my thoughs!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Good to know it better.

So AoPM in words can be used as Passive for those builds you don't have a proper use (for example a Mine/Grenades powers only), and to level toons it's useful too.

Nah. Other than support, the only place where AoPM shines is on builds that have severe energy management problems. For easy leveling, an offensive passive will kill things substantially faster, a defensive passive will give you a lot more room for error.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    Right, I agree with Panta. In almost every case, anything is better than AoPM. The only time AoPM is useful is in a control build. That is because it buffs your PRE and there are no other passives that buff control. Even then, there are a lot of control builds that choose another passive. AoPM can also be helpful in a teaming build, where you run a lot of buffs and debuffs and your main goal is to make your teammates shine.

Pick a passive that buffs whatever you are doing. If you like to kill things before they can kill you, take an offensive passive. If you like to outlive things and just wear them down, take a defensive passive. If you have a less specialized build, maybe one that mixes melee and range, you can go with Night Warrior or Quarry.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    edited November 2016
    And the flipside of that is no passive does many things at once as well as AoPM. So it really just comes down to priorities and what ur trying to do w/ the build. If ur focus is pure dps or tanking, AoPM and the Hybrid role aren't often optimal and ur usually better of considering something more specialized, but not every build is aimed that way either.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    The big disadvantage to AoPM, or any other auras really, is then when people use them in hybrid role they can mess up auras from people in support role. The way auras work is that 1 gets applied and the number of stacked auras is added is a multiplier.
    Yes, that can help a lot.

Auras only apply to others players in Support Role.
    Eh, I'd rather they prioritize the Support aura benefit over any Hybrid ones, instead of getting rid of the ally benefit from the Hybrid versions (I'm not sure how it works in the code, though). Its still nice to be able to support allies (and any pets) with them in Hybrid role (and Hybrid ATs that can get Auras can't switch roles anyways).
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    flowcyto said:

Eh, I'd rather they prioritize the Support aura benefit over any Hybrid ones, instead of getting rid of the ally benefit from the Hybrid versions (I'm not sure how it works in the code, though). Its still nice to be able to support allies (and any pets) with them in Hybrid role (and Hybrid ATs that can get Auras can't switch roles anyways).

This makes the most sense to me. In general, the strongest auras available should be prioritized.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    One of the AoRP fix attempts did the "keep strongest", but it seems the existing functions for that do not work properly (oor at least not like you'd expect) in CO.
  • highjusticarhighjusticar Posts: 140 Arc User
    Can the game engine prioritize properly? IE check to see if someone is in support mode first and then check either the aura stats or just do a check of presence to see which applies first and which are set as modifiers? What about someone in support mode with a 300 presence and someone in hybrid with a 700 presence?
    Support yields more stats for the party than themselves, while Hybrid one have more stats for itself than the party members.

So the priority here come:
    1. Supports with high PRE
    2. Supports with normal PRE
    3. Hybrid with high Stats for party
    4. Hybrids with selfstats
    To not overlap and "flizze" the others AoPM in party.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User

Support yields more stats for the party than themselves, while Hybrid one have more stats for itself than the party members.

So the priority here come:

1. Supports with high PRE
    2. Supports with normal PRE
    What constitutes as 'Normal'?
    someone that doesn't single stat?

Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    Not using PRE as PSS or SS.

Not using PRE as PSS or SS.

Then they ain't supporting anyone but themselves, since Teammate scaling from Presence, it would be marginal, even in Support Role.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    The point is for high priority AoPM from true supports (High PRE with PSS followed by PRE SS and ending with no PRE PSS/SS) than others in the order of choosing wich aura.
    edited November 2016
    Or any Valid Support Passive User,
    I thought of a nice little gauge on what degree of dedication is said supporting build doing, I'll go in Descending Order
    1. Pure Support - Focuses on All Heals, PRE Prime, Compassion, Revival Powers, Shields etc.
    2. Support - Mixes All Heals with other powers, Pre is a Super Stat, Compassion form, Revival Powers, Shields optional.
    3. Supportive - May use Pre as a Super stat, Multiple healing powers, Form may vary, heals may vary (Direct or Indirect like Medical Nanites, Medical Drones, Sentinel Aura, Sentinel Mastery.), May have Revival.
    4. Off Support - Doesn't Use Pre but has a Heal or 2 to keep teammates(Or themselves) Topped off, may have a revival power, that's about it, what do you think?

It's good but the problem is the complexity. I think is going to be harder to code every event/rule/functioncall for everything of that so thats why I choose the PRE route to easy things.

But your list is better if they can do it.
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Just prioritize auras based on the source hero's Pre stat. With support role given priority over hybrids.