test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Papa Kayiman - Voodoo Practitioner

legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
edited October 2016 in Builds and Roles
okay, so i said my prior character would be my last until the next double XP event, but...i got a stack of anni XP boosters that need to be used and thanks to whoever's drug-high idea it was to give them timers, i now have to use them or lose them

also, whatever happened to the holy torrent, will-o-the-wisp, voodoo and curse powers we were supposed to be getting from that batch on PTS a month ago? all we actually got were soul beam and crashing incantation

anyway, here's the build - probably gonna need some major work before i reach the final version

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Papa Kayiman

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Marksman
Level 6: Healthy Mind
Level 9: Quick Recovery
Level 12: Negotiator
Level 15: Boundless Reserves
Level 18: Investigator
Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
Level 1: Eldritch Blast (Rank 2, Sorcerer's Whim)
Level 6: Compassion Stand-in for Conjuring
Level 8: Molecular Self-Assembly Stand-in for Enchanter
Level 11: Sigils of Ebon Weakness Stand-in for Star Barrage
Level 14: Conviction Stand-in for...probably nothing, because neither vala's or arcane vitality seem to match conviction even with their buffs
Level 17: Invocation of Storm Calling Stand-in for Spellcaster
Level 20: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
Level 23: Hex of Suffering (Rank 2, Rune of Lethargy)
Level 26: Pillar of Poz Stand-in for Soul Beam
Level 29: Palliate Stand-in for Magician's Dust
Level 32: Ebon Void
Level 35: Rebirth
Level 38: Endbringer's Grasp Stand-in for Crashing Incantation

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Mystic Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35:

Specializations:
Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
Overseer: Ruthless (2/2)
Overseer: Overseer Aura (3/3)
Overseer: Trapped (3/3)
Overseer: Conservation (2/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)​​
#LegalizeAwoo

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Looks mostly alright w/ the write-in substitutions, albeit w/ most of their advs not filled in yet. By high-level ya prob will have enough stats to change Rec SS to Dex SS for some more crit%.

Keep in mind that Soul Beam doesn't stack Spellcaster on its own, so for single targets you'll have to throw in other attacks to keep that stacked. In fact, you may be better off w/ Concentration here.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    the advantages aren't there because i don't know what they are, nor what the important ones are - too much was changed with existing sorcery powers to be able to keep up with without actually being ingame to look at them directly​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    On the next patch of this thursday Soul Beam will be able to apply Mystified thanks to a new advantage that will be added to it and thus proc Spellcaster's buff.
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • Options

the advantages aren't there because i don't know what they are, nor what the important ones are - too much was changed with existing sorcery powers to be able to keep up with without actually being ingame to look at them directly​​

If you can access the PTS, I'd urge you to just browse the tooltips and adv descriptions and fiddle around w/ stuff. If you can't, well then what powers in particular were you most hung up on?

On the next patch of this thursday Soul Beam will be able to apply Mystified thanks to a new advantage that will be added to it and thus proc Spellcaster's buff.

That's nice for Soul Beam, though that also I assume it means ur skipping rank 3's dmg for that adv. I suppose that's a fair trade for those using Spellcaster.

<CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    the ones that had like 5 advantages added to them​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    edited October 2016

the ones that had like 5 advantages added to them​​

Well, if you want the simplest rotation for Spellcaster, it'd be Soul Beam w/ the new Mystified adv and Rank2 + Hex for single targets, and Hex + Barrage_Skarn's for AoE.

Eld Blast has tons of diff advs now. For simple dps setups outlined above, its not strictly needed at all. But it can also act as cheap filler dps (quite lower dps than Soul Beam, though). It can proc Root for Manip builds and/or builds using Overseer's Trapped. It can add Illumination to allies and its target (which interacts w/ Celestial Conduit and Ascension's special adv) which counts as a Curse on enemies and an Enchantment on you. It can debuff/CC/curse w/ Jinx. It can refresh Hexed on the target (only potentially useful imo if getting Hex from full maintains of Skarn's instead of from Hex of Suffering itself). And it can be used w/ Avenger specs using Avenger Mastery and high crit% to speed up its cast time.

The other powers w/ many advs (Storm Invocation, Pillar of Poz, Skarn's, etc) you aren't actually taking, apparently- so no need to worry about those, I guess.

edit: apparently, Hex is also getting some extra advs- one that applies Fear to targets and one that applies stun (once per use). Neither are strictly needed for dps, ofc, but can help w/ debuffing or CC.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
  • Options
    well, it's not supposed to be a pure DPS build since it's a voodoo practitioner, so a mix of debuffing and DPS - of course, since they haven't actually released the voodoo or curse powers yet, i have to go with other stuff for now until they do and figure out what to swap out once i see what kind of effects they have (and i really hope they're going to be made available for bloodmoon and not locked behind a GCR paywall...it already pissed me off to the extreme when hydra got that treatment)​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    just a small update now that voodoo powers are actually out...mainly in the spec area as the only power i changed was ebon void and compassion - i wanted curse too, but it wouldn't fit

also, my first build with the updated builder; YAY!!!

Papa Kayiman

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Negotiator (Int: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Blast (Chant, Bad Luck)
    Level 6: Conjuring
    Level 8: Enchanter (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Star Barrage (Rank 2, Mystical)
    Level 14: Life Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Spellcaster
    Level 23: Hex of Suffering (Rank 2, Rune of Terror)
    Level 26: Soul Beam (Rank 2, Mystical)
    Level 29: Magician's Dust
    Level 32: Voodoo Doll (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Crashing Incantation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Overseer: Administer (1/3)
    Overseer: Honor (2/2)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    Looks alright for a Soc/Mystic build that's not fully dps-committed but also has some support. Kinda missed an opportunity to use Trapped in Overseer via Hex's Root adv, though. Otherwise, I'd consider using Avenger + VInd w/ Relentless Assault and maybe Avenger Mastery to speed up Eld Blast casts. Also could get the Light Everlasting adv on Star Barrage over Mystical.
  • Options
    i thought about light everlasting for the added healing, but...it would only ever heal me if i'm right on top of my target, which is generally what a ranged character tries to avoid

still, it would help in keeping the melees attacking cybermind alive, and it would also proc honor which would make the subsequent attacks a bit stronger

and i picked rune of terror over lethargy because one: lethargy doesn't reduce resistance to magic damage anymore, and two: as i recall, fear counts as a curse where root doesn't

also, i don't think trapped would even work on the targets i'd want it to work on anyway - namely bosses, because it only procs off successful CC attempts, and boss-type villains are all immune to CC​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    Neither Fear nor Root are classed as Curses. Hex automatically curses, though, cause it always applies Hexed now, and Hexed is a Curse in of itself. Fear is a nice dmg-reducing debuff, though, so maybe take that + the root adv for Hex. Also, all of the spec debuffs triggered from CC still work on CC immune targets- they're one of the few reasons to even use hold-based CC against bosses.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    i could've sworn i saw somewhere that fear was retagged as a curse after all the sorcery changes went through...maybe it was one of those debuffs that applies fear

and i guess i might as well grab RoL too - hex does **** for damage, so rank 2 isn't doing much - unless it increases something besides the damage

okay, so here's the re-refined build

Papa Kayiman

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Negotiator (Int: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Blast (Chant, Bad Luck)
    Level 6: Conjuring
    Level 8: Enchanter (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Star Barrage (Rank 2, Light Everlasting)
    Level 14: Life Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Spellcaster
    Level 23: Hex of Suffering (Rune of Lethargy, Rune of Terror)
    Level 26: Soul Beam (Rank 2, Mystical)
    Level 29: Magician's Dust
    Level 32: Pounce (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Crashing Incantation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Overseer: Honor (1/2)
    Overseer: Trapped (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

EDIT: actually, i made another slight alteration - i grabbed Blinding Light for eldritch blast instead of chant, since the recharge of hex is already less than the duration of Hexed, so being able to refresh the duration of it was superfluous​​
    Post edited by legendarylycan#5411 on
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I find that Conjuring + Int + suitable powers works very well for energy. You might not need Rec. You could consider some Ego for more damage or Pre for some healing benefit.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    ^ Or get Dex SS, which pairs pretty well w/ Int PSS's Expertise in boosting crit.