test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So what kind of builds are viable where you can mix one or two sets?

Basically this would help me know what to look for allot, my problem is I dont like one trick ponies or spamming very few abilities, for example electrcity so far I find it incredibly dull, all I do is spam light arc or storm in one spot, and throw a ball of lightning on occasion.

So at the moment im trying to find more versatile and fun power types I can do much more with, I also like hybrid dps/healing types or dps/tanking types and etc.

So just looking for your opinions on mixing some of the power types thank you:)

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    You can mix pretty much any powersets and make a 'viable' build from it. Typically the more you mix sets, though, the more you may rely on universal scalars to help them- AoPM/NW/Quarry, MSA, FotT, etc, and ur prob more at risk at having a build w/ too many attacks and not enough utility/passive powers to support them. It also kinda depends on if you like having a large amount of more specialized heroes to swap between (ie. alt armies), or a smaller array of heroes w/ more generalist builds.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • xoriandruidxoriandruid Posts: 311 Arc User
    flowcyto said:

You can mix pretty much any powersets and make a 'viable' build from it. Typically the more you mix sets, though, the more you may rely on universal scalars to help them- AoPM/NW/Quarry, MSA, FotT, etc, and ur prob more at risk at having a build w/ too many attacks and not enough utility/passive powers to support them. It also kinda depends on if you like having a large amount of more specialized heroes to swap between (ie. alt armies), or a smaller array of heroes w/ more generalist builds.

Oh well I would be fine with having attacks with team support abilities, I just dont like spamming the same stuff over and over, I need versatility.
    edited September 2016
    How about lock n load or arcane clarity or other arcane passives they seem to help you cross over to diff damage types, im not sure how strong they are though.

I do however see the issue with energy unlocks, I suppose you can rely on a builder for one kind of power, for example im thinking of making an ice/infernal chains build but can only pick an energy unlock for ice or infernal.
    edited September 2016
    You can use a more specialized framework, but then ur making ur build a bit lop-sided if you still mix diff sets. Although builds can still be functional that way, I don't consider that approach optimal or efficient, so I wouldn't generally give advice that reinforces that sort of build or playstyle.

Ice + Infernal? Well many diff ways to mix those. Could maybe use Infernal's Debilitating Poison debuff to also buff Ice (cause they are both Elemental dmg). Ice_Fiery Form also will buff both powersets since both use Elemental dmg, so ya can sitll take a specialized offensive passive if ya want.

Example 1:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Acrobat
    Level 15: Coordinated
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves
    Level 21: Investigator

Powers:
    Level 1: Infernal Bolts
    Level 1: Ice Blast (Hard Frost, Frost Bite)
    Level 6: Lash (Rank 2, Decay)
    Level 8: Ice Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Concentration
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 20: Vile Lariat (Work Up, Corrupt)
    Level 23: Frost Breath (Rank 2, Frost Bite)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Icicle Spear (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Ice Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

Here, fully charging the Lariat will refresh the Debilitating (and deadly) Poison debuff that you first put up w/ Lash's adv on its final hit, and the Lariat will also proc MSA and Work Up for a heal on you. So, vs. bosses you quickly put up Chillx3 by tapping Frostbreath w/ adv, tap Ice Blast to put up Hard Frost, apply Debilitating Poison w/ Lash, and then use Ice Spear as ur main attack, w/ Lariat charged and Ice Blast taps to refresh ur debuffs and keep some extra energy coming and heals in.

In AoE or short fights, you'd mostly just alternate between FBreath channels and Lash as you like, picking off tough targets w/ Ice Spear or Blast after you've killed the low-ranked ones w/ AoE. You can also consider getting the RD adv on Condemn for some AoE CC, though this will be shorter CC and will come w/ less dmg than rank 2.

Example 2- a diff playstyle that also mixes the sets:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Scourge
    Level 6: Ascetic
    Level 9: Quick Recovery
    Level 12: Wordly
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves
    Level 18: Daredevil
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Ice Blast (Rank 2, Hard Frost)
    Level 6: Ice Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Lash (Rank 2, Decay)
    Level 17: Supernatural Power
    Level 20: Epidemic (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 29: Ice Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Imbue (Rank 2, Illusive)
    Level 35:
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
    Avenger: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Avenger Mastery (1/1)

This build channels Epidemic as filler, and uses Avenger Mastery procs on a fast-cast charged Ice Blast. Lash is again thrown in there for its debuff adv. This playstyle takes good adv of Avenger's unique perks that show how it can sometimes be worthwhile over the usual Guardicator stuff. The playstyle also focuses more on cycling between multiple AO's that boost ur crit rate and dmg to help w/ AvMastery.

Hope those examples helped somewhat.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    flowcyto said:

You can use a more specialized framework, but then ur making ur build a bit lop-sided if you still mix diff sets. Although builds can still be functional that way, I don't consider that approach optimal or efficient, so I wouldn't generally give advice that reinforces that sort of build or playstyle.

Ice + Infernal? Well many diff ways to mix those. Could maybe use Infernal's Debilitating Poison debuff to also buff Ice (cause they are both Elemental dmg). Ice_Fiery Form also will buff both powersets since both use Elemental dmg, so ya can sitll take a specialized offensive passive if ya want.

Example 1:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Acrobat
    Level 15: Coordinated
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves
    Level 21: Investigator

Powers:
    Level 1: Ice Blast (Hard Frost, Frost Bite)
    Level 6: Lash (Rank 2, Decay)
    Level 8: Ice Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Concentration
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 20: Vile Lariat (Work Up, Corrupt)
    Level 23: Frost Breath (Rank 2, Frost Bite)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Icicle Spear (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Ice Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

Here, fully charging the Lariat will refresh the Debilitating (and deadly) Poison debuff that you first put up w/ Lash's adv on its final hit, and the Lariat will also proc MSA and Work Up for a heal on you. So, vs. bosses you quickly put up Chillx3 by tapping Frostbreath w/ adv, tap Ice Blast to put up Hard Frost, apply Debilitating Poison w/ Lash, and then use Ice Spear as ur main attack, w/ Lariat charged and Ice Blast taps to refresh ur debuffs and keep some extra energy coming and heals in.

In AoE or short fights, you'd mostly just alternate between FBreath channels and Lash as you like, picking off tough targets w/ Ice Spear or Blast after you've killed the low-ranked ones w/ AoE. You can also consider getting the RD adv on Condemn for some AoE CC, though this will be shorter CC and will come w/ less dmg than rank 2.

Example 2- a diff playstyle that also mixes the sets:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Scourge
    Level 6: Ascetic
    Level 9: Quick Recovery
    Level 12: Wordly
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves
    Level 18: Daredevil
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Ice Blast (Rank 2, Hard Frost)
    Level 6: Ice Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Lash (Rank 2, Decay)
    Level 17: Supernatural Power
    Level 20: Epidemic (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 29: Ice Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Imbue (Rank 2, Illusive)
    Level 35:
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
    Avenger: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Avenger Mastery (1/1)

This build channels Epidemic as filler, and uses Avenger Mastery procs on a fast-cast charged Ice Blast. Lash is again thrown in there for its debuff adv. This playstyle takes good adv of Avenger's unique perks that show how it can sometimes be worthwhile over the usual Guardicator stuff. The playstyle also focuses more on cycling between multiple AO's that boost ur crit rate and dmg to help w/ AvMastery.

Hope those examples helped somewhat.

Wow this is great, when you say you dont approve what are we talking vs a pure ice build? I was thinking of mixing a debuff power type with another so thats kind of what made me come up with a concept, I really dont want to play just another ice guy as it is really popular in the game lol. I was really hoping to utilize the shatter mechanic, since I personally love the concept.
    I mean more along the lines of, you have these two powersets, but you'd pick an EU or a passive that supports some of them. In my 2nd example, even though I picked an SN-specific EU, I avoided that issue by making the majority of ur attacks still Supernatural, and only one that's not is a cheap one (Ice Blast), so you still should have the EU procing a majority of the time anyways and it shouldn't impede the build much. An example of doing that poorly (to where I wouldn't advise it), would be like picking a slotted passive that only boosted the dmg types of a few of ur attacks- like picking Elec Form in an Elec + Ice build but still having ~half ur attacks being Cold dmg and not boosted by the passive.
    flowcyto said:

I mean more along the lines of, you have these two powersets, but you'd pick an EU or a passive that supports some of them. In my 2nd example, even though I picked an SN-specific EU, I avoided that issue by making the majority of ur attacks still Supernatural, and only one that's not is a cheap one (Ice Blast), so you still should have the EU procing a majority of the time anyways and it shouldn't impede the build much. An example of doing that poorly (to where I wouldn't advise it), would be like picking a slotted passive that only boosted the dmg types of a few of ur attacks- like picking Elec Form in an Elec + Ice build but still having ~half ur attacks being Cold dmg and not boosted by the passive.

Yea those powers wouldnt work together at all.
    How will my energy be during leveling and after?
    edited September 2016
    Energy should be pretty good for both, since they start off w/ cheaper attacks, and get their EU and toggle rel early on. If you are going to level w/ either though, I'd move Frostbreath or Epidemic earlier on so you can AoE w/ them sooner.
    flowcyto said:

Energy should be pretty good for both, since they start off w/ cheaper attacks, and get their EU and toggle rel early on. If you are going to level w/ the 2nd build, though, I'd maybe move Epidemic earlier on so you can AoE grind w/ it sooner.

Awesome thanks again flow, your beyond helpful.
    edited September 2016
    Not sure if im really digging the chains plus having trouble with the concept since they are metal mostly.

What power types can mix well with ice and look fun? I was considering stormbringer with force or maybe some form for fire and ice but never been a big fan of fire.
    Post edited by xoriandruid on
    Well, Wind works pretty well w/ Ice too. Otherwise, I dunno what to say to something looking 'fun' w/ Ice.

Stormbringer allows Cold to mix with a lot of things-Might, Force, Unarmed Martial Arts, a lot of Heavy Weapons, a little bit of Munitions and Power Armor, and Electricity just for way of example - but not Fire or Toxic.

With might or unarmed? Oh I didnt know that, interesting hmmmm how well would that even work with melee though? If thats the case I may go ice/melee or electric/melee.
    flowcyto said:

Well, Wind works pretty well w/ Ice too. Otherwise, I dunno what to say to something looking 'fun' w/ Ice.

I guess I didnt see much of a point to mix wind and ice together, there is already snowstorm in ice. I guess I mean fun as in flashy particle effects, big graphics/animations.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Power armor has a lot of flashy animations. It's pretty much just attack, attack, attack, though, so if you want to do different things then that may not be for you. That could build for tank or DPS.

Celestial has a lot of different things to do; Attacks, heals, etc, and it is pretty flashy. It can build for DPS or support.

Of course you could always add a defense or some support-type powers to any build to change up the roles. Defense powers aren't very flashy, though.

If you absolutely, positively have to mix in different sets, well, how many different sets do you want to mix?
    Would, for example, splashing energy wave from the power armor tree (very flashy point blank AoE with knockback) into a martial arts build be enough for you, or would you want something from an elemental tree and something else from a supernatural tree to go with that?

Is there some specific starting point you have in mind? Do you want to use might powers and just splash some things into that to make it flashier, for example?