test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Whats the problem with telekinesis, the power not the power set.

????

Comments

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Telekinesis (Power) requires there to be destructible objects lying around for you to "throw with your mind!".

Of course the issue with this is that unless you drag mobs into places filled with shipping containers or loads of chairs...the power is going to be absolutely useless and will just drain energy whilst you casually thrust your hand towards enemies.

It's basically a design issue.

Unless CO suddenly became absolutely littered with destructible object around every corner and surrounding every mob...Telekinesis (Power) is always going to come up short.

There's also the fact that if there are destructible objects in a combat area, they are usually destroyed by AoE powers.

Basically, the power as it is now, is wholly impractical for combat.

Post edited by theravenforce on
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Even if areas were filled with destructible objects, it's a giant PITA to actually make use of them. If I had my druthers I'd just change Hurl and Telekinesis to be charged powers, and when used they will automatically search for a nearby destructible object of appropriate size. If none is found, they generate a default. Either way, the object is automatically thrown at your current target.

Even if areas were filled with destructible objects, it's a giant PITA to actually make use of them.

Of course.

I'd completely redesign the power, but as a maintain. I posted a suggestion on it ages ago.
  • xoriandruidxoriandruid Posts: 311 Arc User
    Honestly I dont see the issue when there are tons of objects to move in the game, and its automatic and very quick, however visually I thought it was truly unimpressive but I dont think I ranked it up, but it just looks like a toss.

Honestly I dont see the issue when there are tons of objects to move in the game, and its automatic and very quick, however visually I thought it was truly unimpressive but I dont think I ranked it up, but it just looks like a toss.

Given that the power does not have an incredible range to lob objects from...and the fact that there's the whole object travel time and actually there are not that many objects to throw at enemies...the power is quite bad and only works AT ALL in certain instances.

Sure, low levels in MC will have a great time with the amount of enemies and missions which are surrounded by shipping containers or other wonderful destructible objects...but in higher level content...how many boss fights have you been in which has an overabundance of destructible objects?

Ideally all powers should be useful at all levels of content, Telekinesis (Power) is just bad because it requires very specific conditions. It might be nice as a tack on power to an already ranged build...but for an ability which is the namesake power of the set...it is quite frankly tragic.
    Im pretty sure its 100 ranged that is really good range. Ay high levels there are plenty of objects what are you talking about?
    edited September 2016

Im pretty sure its 100 ranged that is really good range. Ay high levels there are plenty of objects what are you talking about?

Range in terms of how close YOU as the player need to be to objects in order for them to be thrown by TK (Power).

I wouldn't ask for a casting range increase on that power, but the pick up range should be improved (or better yet, re-design the power so it doesn't suck except for niche situations).

I don't know what kind of high level content you are running which contains enough objects in them to make Telekinesis (Power) worth using but I sure would like to know what YOU are talking about lol.

I mean...do you use TK (Power) often in combat? If so, I have a few questions:

- What are you fighting?
    - How many times do you have to drag them towards a pile of objects in order to fire off the power.
    - Have you ever used this ability regularly in something like Cosmics, Teleios Ascendant, Rampages or even in normal missions? If so how has that worked out for you?
    - Don't you find it strange that despite it's EGO requirement being equal to that of STR to lift objects of certain sizes...it is very unreliable and costs energy whereas physically lifting an object for combat purposes doesn't?

The objects that may or may not appear in open world tend to be much larger than those you find in instances.

Even in alerts...the best you're going to be throwing at a boss is a shipping container which does pitiful damage for the size that it is.

Overall, Telekinesis (Power) is quite gimmicky, which is very sad for an ability which is named after the entire set and which should do so much more than it does.

EDIT: Just realized that it was actually you who started this topic. As you can tell, I didn't realize the title was not a serious question. As far as I am concerned I've answered your question be it a serious one or one just for trolling or w/e. If you disagree then you obviously make use of the ability yourself and you are fine with it in it's current state. Have fun using it.
    I see, I didnt test the range of how far you have to be from the object so I wouldnt know.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I think part of the issue is that Telekinesis was put in to give heroes that are not heavy in Str a means to throw heavy objects. But since picking up and throwing objects is an built-in functionality, making a version of that take up a power slot is kinda bad. It would prob be okay as is if it was an innate linked power for a passive like Shadowstrike/Sneak for NW, or something.

Ofc, could also just scrap that premise and just make it a normal dps power of sorts, as mentioned. The flavor of tossing nearby objects around w/ ur mind is still a fun touch, though- even if its impractical.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    edited September 2016
    Mhm, there has also been many different versions of this power, I recall one version which highlighted the object when you picked it up and then tossed the item at a nearby enemy who you selected...like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACEATku8UCw

(I prefer the version in this video to the one we have now, but still the issue is that you would not be able to pull this off in combat very well. The only way the ability would be useful in combat is if it spawned 'ripped' stuff from the environment like Hurl or created psionic constructs like Psionic Surge Device to throw at enemies.)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Now I want to defeat Frosticus by throwing mailboxes at him :)

Sure, low levels in MC will have a great time with the amount of enemies and missions which are surrounded by shipping containers or other wonderful destructible objects...but in higher level content...how many boss fights have you been in which has an overabundance of destructible objects?

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!