test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Walking Health

jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
edited May 2016 in Builds and Roles
Hello! I'm blac-- I mean back!

Today I come for the advice to make a (another one because I love Tanks... and Healers too!) Tank.

My objective for this: Tank with high Health/Regenerative that can take with pride every group content with final goal of being good in Cosmic or Elite Lairs (TA for example). With in mind to have a Melee Tank oriented than a Ranged one (I want to be in their face while I rip and tear them).

Maybe I'm asking too much but the joy is the journey.

This is my attempt.

NOTE: I can't decide third tree of passives and what Master One to take yet so that is in blank and open.

Thanks for your time and attention.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: WHY I CAN'T HOLD ALL THIS HEALTH?

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Behemoth
Level 6: Paramilitary Training
Level 9: Physical Conditioning
Level 12: Relentless
Level 15: Quick Recovery
Level 18: Bodybuilder
Level 21: Boundless Reserves

Powers:
Level 1: Bestial Fury (Rip and Tear)
Level 1: Regeneration
Level 6: Frenzy (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
Level 8: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Phlebotomist, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 11: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares, Crippling Challenge)
Level 14: Aspect of the Bestial (Giant Growth)
Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
Level 20: Massacre (Rank 2, Blood Mess)
Level 23: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Voracious Darkness)
Level 26: Supernatural Power
Level 29: Howl (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
Level 38: Aggressor

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics
Level 35:

Specializations:
Strength: Swole (3/3)
Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
Strength: Quick Recovery (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Upper Hand (3/3)
Warden: The Best Defense (2/3)

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    If ya want a good self-healing tank, ya can mostly just boil it down to a supernatural build w/ DE (or Thrash now) w/ CripC and a bleed. Ya can pretty much just spam it for all ur single-target needs. That could free up the build to have more (prob overkill) defensive and heal tools for other sets.

Ego Sprites w/ adv and CS could also work for a melee hero if ya want AoE threat that also heals you, now that the power is a pbAoE. Mental Leech could also do that some. Could also try to work in Sentinel Mastery (and Aura)- perhaps via Thunderclap, if ya wanna go a bit extra and add more tools in there. W/ enough heals ya can switch the toggle to Compassion if ya want even stronger heals, though at that point I'd be careful if ur threat gen is high enough. Ofc, there's also adding in self-heal like VCR, or Conviction, or BSheilding. Ur block can be Ebon Void since it heals you slightly

Lotsa options out there, and prob not enough room to fit them all into one build :p
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
    The problem with Thrash is he needs Bleeds or Deep Wounds (I have Frenzy so it's okay) but I don't know how many stacks of Bleed can get with Frenzy.

And Deep Wounds with Eviscerate is easy but they don't stack (but full charged I lose all the Bleeding Stacks)

Devour Essence > +X Health every 0.5s
    Thrash > +X Health every 0.5 for every Bleed and Deep Wound.

I never though about Ego Sprites before.

So I can change Massacre with Ego Sprites and keep good relation Regen+Aggro?

In specializations what can be with Warden? Protector or Arbiter?
    Frenzy w/ AotB will stack bleed at least once every full combo, just like Shred. The first two hits of Frenzy don't have as high of a chance as Shred, but its still good w/ AotB as the last hit will always stack bleed then.

If ya have decent reach AoE via other means, though, then ya dun necc need to take Frenzy over Shred, and can get a bit higher bleed rate if ya want.

DE or Thrash are esp good w/ threat just cause they are maintains, and w/ CripC the flat threat from CripC will proc every tick. Building up bleeds on top also adds dmg and threat while they tick. Massacre is ofc a good move on its own, but its the question of what you value more: raw dps (spamming Massacre, which Enrage would prob be a better toggle for), or more constant threat and BG healing (spamming DE or Thrash, which AotB can work for if ya have a means to bleed or poison form another attack).

If ya want more conventional tank spec choices for melee, that'd be Wardicator or Warden + Protector. Oddball healer-tank choices would incorporate Sentinel, but that's prob gonna come w/ a hit to personal defense and dps.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited May 2016
    I value more as Tank the Aggro so Thrash+Ego Sprites works better for me.

At spec Protector to use 'Debilitating Challenge' with all my CripC and get more HP and Def.

So in a resume:

- Changed Frenzy for Shred.
    - Using Thrash over DE.
    - Third spec as Protector
    - Massacre changed for Ego Sprites.

As always flowcyto I thank you for your wisdom.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Behemoth
    Level 6: Paramilitary Training
    Level 9: Physical Conditioning
    Level 12: Relentless
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Bodybuilder
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves

Powers:
    Level 1: Bestial Fury (Rip and Tear)
    Level 1: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Shred (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 8: Aspect of the Bestial (Giant Growth)
    Level 11:Thrash (Crippling Challenge)
    Level 14: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Ego Sprites (Slave Mentality, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 23: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Voracious Darkness)
    Level 26: Supernatural Power
    Level 29: Howl (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 38: Aggressor

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
    Strength: Quick Recovery (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (3/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Protector: Beacon of Hope (1/3)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (3/3)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

edited May 2016
    Ya dun really need to rank the end builder, so that saves ya 2 adv points- of which ya can get Thrash (or DE, w/e one ya pick) to rank 2. Can also get Sprites to R2 if ya get more free points.

Ya don't necc need CripC on all the other attacks either, as long as ur mainstay is Thrash. I would prob get the special adv on Shred regradless, as you'll want Shredded if using Thrash.

Howl is also not that great overall. I guess ur using Howl for Giant Growth when not in-combat, though, so I guess that's fair, but its more for theme than practicality then.

Warden Mastery is good, but it means ya have to keep using Shred. I guess ya plan on alternating between it and Thrash channels? That can work, though ya won't be using Thrash as heavily then.

I'd also get Brutality in Str PSS over Quick Recovery. QR's healing is too weak, imo, to be worthwhile generally.
    edited May 2016
    - Howl is to get/refresh Enrage Stacks while out of combat to not lose the 8-stack or even Enrage to get always the double chance of Bleeding using Shred.

- The adv of Sherd looks good and works good with Thrash upping my dps and doing more aggro because the Bleed dots, the self healing and the up damaged from Penetrating Strikes+Thrash, so its a win for my.

- I switch Trash over Sherd only to refresh the Bleed stacks and don't let them decay.

- Brutaility give me Critical Severity. But I don't even have Crit or use DEX to get crit.

- Maybe Quick Recover is weak, but is another 'Heal' added to the aggro or I'm wrong?

- I don't feel the difference of Warden Mastery (9% Res Dmg at max stacks) using Regen R3 so maybe going to change for Protector to refresh my AD if somenthing go too bad (Healer dies or some attack wrecks me).
    Post edited by jojenmaihem on
    Protector vs. Warden Mastery is up to you. They both can be good, but for diff things (constant mitigation and a dmg boost to combos vs. more burst mitigation by having ADs avail when you need them more). All in how ya play it out.

Ya can still get respectable crit% via gearing crit rating on offensive slots- due to offense's diminished returns, its typically better dps to gear for crit and/or severity over more offense on gear if ur already using The Best Defense.
    edited May 2016
    Oh my... what happened to beign a tank in this game?

I can't even keep up the threat even Trash /w CripC and Ego Sprites /w CS, even using Bleeding I can't keep the Threat only a few seconds until the DPS banish my threat.
    What is ur current gear like atm? It should be pretty tough to beat Thrash w/ Shredded and CripC + bleeds on top.

But yeah, dps has outpaced threat gen in scaling overall in CO for a long time now. You could also be losing threat to uber-geared tanks, though, but that's a bit more understandable.
    Primary are drops with mostly STR/CON/REC (Trying to farm the Heroic from UNTIL) and secondary Armadillo.

Maybe can try to get some Primaries with % to Critical to add with the severity.

When you see a DPS character tanking better than you, stealing aggro and don't even getting hit (because Dodge I think) you ask yourself "Wtf I am doing with a Tank?"

Other thing I can think is the Bestial powers don't work good in Tank role where others powers can work very well (LArc, Brimstone, Submachine Gun.... etc)

I will still trying to make this get work for the moment.
    edited May 2016
    //Double post for free//
    Part of it could be gear-related then. Maintains w/ CripC tend to be the strongest for threat gen, as they apply CripC's flat threat every tick, so Thrash should fit the bill there. What are you trying to tank? If its the Cosmics in open events, then ur prob losing threat to decked players w/ optimized builds, and to a degree there's not much ya can do about that.

But yeah, upping ur crit should help a bit w/ dps.
    I test in Alerts because that... in open Cosmics with my gear they chew me out.
    flowcyto said:

w/ optimized builds

I'm not optimized then :p