test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What if Captain America hit you with his shield?

championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
I always love V-Sauce stuff, and of course found this interesting;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGBID5G2RB0​​
Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
Silverspar on PRIMUS
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Ive been hit wit a smart car. Pretty sure I can tank a cosplayer's shield.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    nepht wrote: »
    Ive been hit wit a smart car. Pretty sure I can tank a cosplayer's shield.

I think you mean you got ran over by a beer can :p​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    hmm... depends on the strength of the person wielding it .
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    One thing that doesn't make sense to me...

So if Thor hits the shield with his hammer and Capt doesn't budge at all it seems that the shield itself has some physical property that absorbs a huge portion of that attack's kinetic energy, since without that property all it means is that the shield is really tough and Cap himself is strong enough to withstand that force without buckling or getting shoved into the ground and last I hear Cap isn't actually that strong. If Cap were, for example, just holding out his hand without the shield, would he be able to catch the hammer in mid-air? Unlikely. So this means that this property would also be at work when he smacks you with his shield - basically he would bonk you in the head with it, and the material would absorb most of the kinetic energy leaving you feeling as if someone had just bopped you with a child's toy plastic bat, cause of that whole equal opposite reaction thing.

So because of the shield's kinetic energy absorbing properties, it is actually one of the least lethal blunt weapons ever. Dets jus a theery do im nad a saiyentist.
    edited May 2016
    Vibranium is suppose to be able to absorb kinetic energy by the lore.

And as fr as Thor's hammer goes, well this is why I laugh when people say they are using neutronium of any kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbdH28prqac​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS

Vibranium is suppose to be able to absorb kinetic energy by the lore.

So yeah... then if he hit you with it it wouldn't even hurt u3u

In fact... wouldn't that sort of physical property make the shield difficult to move at all? I mean, when you hit it with Thor's hammer it absorbs enough kinetic energy that the shield doesn't move... so wouldn't the same happen when Cap tries to push it around with his arm? The shield would absorb the kinetic energy of Cap's arm pushing on it and just refuse to move, unless Cap's arm is putting out significantly more force than Thor's hammer.
    I think you are putting way more thought into this than necessary. It's an obvious plot hole in the whole lore to try and explain one thing but completely shirks off everything else. Basically just call it magic metal, just like Thor's hammer.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Comic book science is like magic without the elves and robes. Except when elves and robes are involved.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    I suppose my first response to Captain America hitting me with his shield would be, "ouch."

A close second reaction might be, "holy crap, Captain America is real!"

Thanks for the linked videos. Very cool stuff.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Black Panther's suit is supposed to be made entirely of Vibranium, so I guess he could just stand there and take a full-blown hit from Mjolnir without even flinching?

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    He took rounds from a 50. cal without even raising a brow.....

But the again, why bother bringing real world physics into a movie stuff about a superheroes from superhero comicbooks?
    Your arguments and facts of physics allways turn into a chimichangas.

I used same program he used to calculate times Deadpool made a crotchshot in his movie about Deadpool. I got 42.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

In fact... wouldn't that sort of physical property make the shield difficult to move at all?

Depends what "absorbs kinetic energy" means to you. It might just absorb enough kinetic energy to result in an inelastic collision that doesn't produce vibrations (compare hitting a chunk of wood to hitting a bell).
  • or it could be that vibranium can only absorb kinetic energy past a certain level of force, which would explain how it can both stop bullets, giant neutronium hammers and other forceful things but not an impact from the shield itself which, even with cap's serum-enhanced strength, would be far less forceful​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    I used to bully Thor at god school.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..

or it could be that vibranium can only absorb kinetic energy past a certain level of force, which would explain how it can both stop bullets, giant neutronium hammers and other forceful things but not an impact from the shield itself which, even with cap's serum-enhanced strength, would be far less forceful​​

So the secret is to hit his shield with just enough force to slap it out of the way, leaving Cap completely open to be hit with your Mjolnir-shooting Gattling Gun.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    If Cap wants his shield to absorb an impact, hit hard like a blunt bludgeon, or slice like Wolverine's claws, then it will. Because he's Just That Good. B)

Any time it doesn't? It's because the writers didn't want it to. :p
    edited May 2016
    bulgarex said:

If Cap wants his shield to absorb an impact, hit hard like a blunt bludgeon, or slice like Wolverine's claws, then it will. Because he's Just That Good. B)

Any time it doesn't? It's because the writers didn't want it to. :p

Foxi/Spinytop wields the god like power of The red bull up arse cat. She could so take Cap' in a fight.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    bulgarex said:

Any time it doesn't? It's because Cap didn't want it to. :p

Fixed that for ya.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Did the Thor movie say anything about dying stars? Because the Thor of both Asatru theology and comic books had his hammer forged by dwarfs, who also enchanted it so that only someone worthy of the power could lift it. (And remember, the judgement is whether you're worthy to wield the power of a Norse war god - in the second JLA/Avengers crossover, Superman was able to lift it only because he'd just seen all his friends killed, and for the first time in his life he was ready to go all Norse-war-god on someone. Later, when he calmed down, he couldn't pick it up.)​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • according to marvel wikia, it did
    Mjölnir is said by the Asgardian king Odin to have been forged in the heart of a dying star and having "no equal as a weapon to destroy or as a tool to build".

and the script for the movie backs it up

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Thor.html
    ODIN (CONT'D)
    So long entrusted with this mighty
    hammer, Mjolnir. Forged in the
    heart of a dying star, from the
    sacred metal of Uru. Only one may
    lift it. Only one is worthy. Who
    wields this hammer commands the
    lightning and the storm. Its power
    has no equal -- as a weapon, to
    destroy, or as a tool, to build.
    It is a fit companion for a King.
    ​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    "WHAT IF CAPTAIN AMERICA HIT YOU WITH HIS SHIELD?"

Depends greatly on who was writing that issue.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited June 2016
    To be honest if Cap hit the average American with his shield they would shoot him in the face. Several times. Then shoot him some more. Then shoot him again just to make sure.