test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

XP gains after Lvl 40 / XP Bonus Pool

magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
edited May 2016 in Suggestions Box
One of the things in-game which I find annoying is Missions and Alerts which give XP rewards to level 40 characters (who clearly have no need for them). I appreciate that this is a hangover from the days where there was still the possibility of a level cap raise - but I think we all know that's not happening anytime soon.

Another game I play has a system in-place for dealing with this which I think could work in CO. It's a MMO game based on Naval Battles. Instead of continually improving each of your ships up through the game levels (1-10) you can improve it within each level only - when you've got enough XP banked against that ship you use the points to buy another one of the level above. However you don't have to get rid of your ranked up ships if you don't want to - they get tagged as Elite, you can carry on playing them, and - this is the important bit - a proportion of the XP they generate during play (but can't use themselves) gets added to an account-wide bonus XP bank. The points from this bank can then be released - on payment of their equivalent of Zen - and used to improve any existing ship or buy new ones.

In CO a Bonus Pool, constructed using Lvl40 unused rewards would allow people to carry on playing their main characters that they've invested a great deal of time in (and current dev direction wants them to do more with) whilst accumulating benefits for alts, experimental builds, etc. I'm sure we've all had moments where we just don't have time for an archetype (that Robot one...!), bored of a character, can't face going through Westside again - and if that's the case then you could just buy some Zen, use the stored XP bank points, and level them up a bit.

I know we already have the 1-up and 30-up level boosts in the Zen store but I've never thought about using them (and probably never will) - one off purchases like that feel a bit cheaty, pay-to-win. The Bonus XP pool, though, works differently - it's a resource that gets built only through playing and enjoying the game with favourite characters, but still gives a financial benefit to the game as it needs Zen for activation.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not always sure what I'm talking about - but XP gifting sounds like a concept in other games which I'm not familiar with.

All I am saying is that once your character is level 40, the XP mission rewards get diverted into a pot which you can use (on payment of Zen) to level up other characters on your account. Simple as.
  • Options
    or barring any kind of XP overflow system like cryptic's other games have, at least have grabs offer something different for level 40 characters so you don't get jack **** for a reward​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    They should offer bonus resources post 40. Most games do something like that.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    illumisar#7446 illumisar Posts: 18 Arc User
    XP accrued post-40 should be account-banked as the wise Magpie suggests, but should provide a currency allowing lower tier Reputations to be converted to higher tiers, perhaps at a 5:1 per increase rate like mod fusion.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I think post level 40, XP should be converted into resources. A 1-for-1 scaling would be too much, and we wouldn't want Grab Alerts yielding more resources than Smash ones. Something like 1 L per 2.5 XP would be enough. A level 40 Grab would earn around 1 G at that rate.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 975 Arc User

I think post level 40, XP should be converted into resources. A 1-for-1 scaling would be too much, and we wouldn't want Grab Alerts yielding more resources than Smash ones. Something like 1 L per 2.5 XP would be enough. A level 40 Grab would earn around 1 G at that rate.

with that in mind ant taking in consideration that you get 1-2 G just by killing mobs and boss, that will be a total of ~3G for a Grab alert if im not wrong, still not more than smash alerts tho
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Pretty sure XP still counts in refreshing lost Stars, Even at 40.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    Completing missions restores Stars, not XP gains.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    naciiito said:

with that in mind ant taking in consideration that you get 1-2 G just by killing mobs and boss, that will be a total of ~3G for a Grab alert if im not wrong, still not more than smash alerts tho

If that's true, you also get a chunk of resources for defeating mobs and boss in Smash, as well. I daresay that the resource gains for mobs/bosses in Grabs is less than 1 G per Alert.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Completing missions restores Stars, not XP gains.

Incorrect. I've actually watched my stars from running GRAB alerts, and they do edge up (not that it's worth the trouble to do this, mind you).
  • Options
    therealbahamuttherealbahamut Posts: 21 Arc User
    Ahhh, the inherent, fundamental problems and limitations of experience points and level caps...
  • Options
    fenrir4lifefenrir4life Posts: 32 Arc User
    Borrow one of the better pages from Neverwinter? Overflow levels for questionite, recognition, mods, whatever. I'd love to see Advantage Points on the list, too, but that would probably drive the PvP crowd into fits(and, to be fair, it would have more of an impact on PvP balance than the bonus power points did in NW, since you always have access to your entire build).