test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make dodge tanks able to function in latest content (TA / Cosmics)

morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
For reference, the build I'm using can be found here. Short summary: I'm using Lightning Reflexes, Thundering Kicks, and The Elusive Monk advantage on Parry to achieve 100% dodge chance. In most content, this works pretty well. Against recent content, however, it works not at all - the damage is high enough that a single un-dodged hit will kill you, even through block. Which means you have to maintain 100% dodge chance, 100% of the time, or you die. Which you can't do, because The Elusive Monk only lasts three seconds after making a melee attack. Here's a run-down:

TA Mindslayer: Required blocking followed by required movement; this takes more than three seconds, so The Elusive Monk buff falls off and then you die. Should be doable if you have a really good team and can afford to mostly ignore picking up orbs, however.
TA Gravitar: Spams knocks; at some point in the fight you'll get knocked about for more than three seconds at a time and then you die.
TA Grond: Only has the one knock attack and you can block that then resume attacking. A bit risky, but doable.
TA Teliosaurus: You have to block her hold... I don't actually remember if this is a normal hold (in which case this fight should be fine for a dodge tank) or if she still has the special hold that the Cosmic version does that requires you to maintain the block until a debuff falls off (in which case you've been blocking longer than three seconds and die).
TA Telios: Has some knocks; I wouldn't want to take a dodge tank in here but it shouldn't be as bad as Gravitar.
Cosmic Kigatilik: No problems here.
Cosmic Qwjibo: Fire patches deal a strong dot that can be blocked, but can't be dodged and ignores the dot resistance granted by Lightning Reflexes. If you block to deal with that, then The Elusive Monk falls off and you die. If you don't block, then the fire patches kill you instead. This fight could also be fixed by changing the fire patches so they only damage people that are actually standing in them.
Cosmic Teliosaurus: Requires blocking to deal with both green bubbles and her hold; in the latter case, you have to maintain the block until the debuff falls off, which is - you guessed it - longer than three seconds which means you die.

My suggestion for how to deal with this: Change The Elusive Monk buff so that it's granted by blocking and by being knocked, in addition to being granted on making a melee attack. You'd still have some problems with Cosmic Teliosaurus, trying to find enough time where you're not blocking to get in full combos of Thundering Kicks, but I feel that's probably doable.

If anyone else has any ideas for how to make dodge tanks viable in these encounters, I'd love to hear them.

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The solution is changing how LR works so it's not this binary "either you get annihilated or you take nothing"; reduce the avoidance by a lot and add some mitigation on a failed dodge.
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    That'd be an excellent solution! Yes! We should completely re-do how dodge powers and gear works again!

...Or, with a bit less sarcasm: it'd be nice if dodge tanking wasn't a binary thing, but I don't really expect the devs to put in the time to make well-balanced drastic changes. Thus my suggestion: I think that's the smallest change that would achieve the desired result.

Though it being binary isn't actually a problem on its own; the problem comes in when dodge is binary and you don't have enough hit points to let things average out. Someone with, say, 80% dodge chance and 75% avoidance, facing a series of 20 hits that do 2000 damage each (so 40,000 incoming damage), can expect to take around 16,000 damage; with other defenses online and a decent healer, that's reasonably survivable. The same tank facing a single 40,000 damage hit - not an uncommon number to see in recent content - is looking at taking either 10,000 damage in a survivable lump-sum... or, one time in five, 40,000 damage and they go splat.

Unfortunately, letting that sort of thing average out would require over a hundred thousand hit points, which is entirely unreasonable and would be utterly broken for reasons completely unrelated to dodge mechanics.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    The chief complaint about LR has always been "dodge or die", so Panta is right, the power would need to be changed to smooth that out. I'm not sure what you're going on about with "completely re-do dodge powers and gear again" morigosa, because Panta never said any of that. Your sarcasm is compromising your reading ability I think.
    edited May 2016
    morigosa said:

That'd be an excellent solution! Yes! We should completely re-do how dodge powers and gear works again!

Don't have to change anything but LR, dodge or die is fine for anything else that gets dodge. Just give LR less base avoidance and add some basic damage resistance.

Or you can just rebuild your character. A Str/Con Wardicator with 15k hp, using Laser Knight instead of Elusive Monk, can soak a 40k hit without dying, or a 60k hit with an AoRP support.

Don't have to change anything but LR, dodge or die is fine for anything else that gets dodge. Just give LR less base avoidance and add some basic damage resistance.

Okay, I guess technically if you turned LR into just a pile of damage resistance, that would "work" for some definition of "work". But if you pile on enough resistance that not-dodging is an acceptable result, you don't have a dodge tank anymore, you just have a tank - and you lose all the synergy with other powers that grant dodge / avoidance buffs.

Or you can just rebuild your character. A Str/Con Wardicator with 15k hp, using Laser Knight instead of Elusive Monk, can soak a 40k hit without dying, or a 60k hit with an AoRP support.

This sort of comment doesn't belong in this thread.
    morigosa said:

Okay, I guess technically if you turned LR into just a pile of damage resistance, that would "work" for some definition of "work". But if you pile on enough resistance that not-dodging is an acceptable result, you don't have a dodge tank anymore, you just have a tank - and you lose all the synergy with other powers that grant dodge / avoidance buffs.

Okay, a Regeneration tank has +30% damage resistance. Give the same bonus to LR and you match the spike resistance of a regen tank -- which is known to work. To compensate, reduce avoidance from +450% (81.8% on character sheet) to +225% (69.3% on character sheet). If you have +70% base damage resistance, the old build takes 58.8% on a missed dodge, 10.7% on a successful dodge, the new build takes 50% (-8.8%) on a missed dodge, 15.4% (++4.7%) on a successful dodge.
    morigosa said:

This sort of comment doesn't belong in this thread.
    You want a dodge tank that can survive 40k hits. That's a dodge tank that can survive 40k hits.

You want a dodge tank that can survive 40k hits. That's a dodge tank that can survive 40k hits.

Err, it reads as "You want a dodge tank? Then the correct answer is to totally ignore anything dodge-related and build yourself as if you had no passive at all; once you can tank with no passive, then you can tank with LR. Or Personal Force Field. Or you could even take something actually useful like Defiance or Invulnerability."

If that's not how you intended it... then how did you intend it?
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Yeah, who said a dodge tank has to use Parry w/Elusive Monk?
    It's not the only build out there. Heck, a pure dodge build would use Fluidity, right? And that buff lasts for ten seconds after blocking for three.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    morigosa said:

Err, it reads as "You want a dodge tank? Then the correct answer is to totally ignore anything dodge-related and build yourself as if you had no passive at all; once you can tank with no passive, then you can tank with LR.

No, the correct answer is "build so you can survive a single failed dodge". The dodging is still useful -- it's much better to need to heal 3k damage than to need to heal 15k damage.
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Tone it down Morigosa, you're going overboard with your comments.
  • maatmonsmaatmons Posts: 346 Arc User1
    What if you add an advantage to Lightning Reflexes that lets you apply part of your Avoidance when you come close to successfully dodging?

So, you take the difference between the random number you got and the minimum random number you needed for a successful dodge, multiply by something, and subtract that from your Avoidance. (To a minimum of zero Avoidance, naturally.)
    edited May 2016
    morigosa said:

Okay, I guess technically if you turned LR into just a pile of damage resistance, that would "work" for some definition of "work". But if you pile on enough resistance that not-dodging is an acceptable result, you don't have a dodge tank anymore, you just have a tank

Reality check. A dodge tank, is not a dodge tank.

A dodge tank is a "randomly higher mitigation" tank. LR has never made your character dodge anything - it has made your character randomly take less damage while standing in place not dodging at all. If we renamed Dodge to "Extra defense chance" and Avoidance to "Extra defense amount", and then dropped a new player in front of the screen they would never know that what they were looking at was at one point a "dodge tank".

Your LR tank is just a tank with slightly different mitigation mechanics from the tank next to them. LR has potentially the most fake theme out of any power in the game, because at no point does it enforce that theme on your character in any way other than making the word "dodge" appear above your head if you have damage numbers on, especially now that you no longer even do a block animation when you dodge - at the very least that made it look like you were parrying attacks, but now you don't even do that much.

Don't bemoan the loss of your "dodge tank" theme, it never existed to begin with.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    For dodge tanks to work the way people want, then dodge tanking itself would have to lose the benefit of defense layering as well, since defense and dodge layer with one another. Otherwise, dodge tanking will be the most powerful thing in game and pretty much be unstoppable as a tank, bringing more defense to the table than any other defensive could muster. So in the end, it would boil down you either dodge or you are defensive. Solve that dilemma and you might make a case for dodge.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

For dodge tanks to work the way people want, then dodge tanking itself would have to lose the benefit of defense layering as well, since defense and dodge layer with one another. Otherwise, dodge tanking will be the most powerful thing in game and pretty much be unstoppable as a tank, bringing more defense to the table than any other defensive could muster. So in the end, it would boil down you either dodge or you are defensive. Solve that dilemma and you might make a case for dodge.​​

Having dodge mitigation additive with defense rather than multiplicative would be a decent start. No idea how difficult that is to implement, though.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Personally, dodge tanking should not have been a thing to begin with. Dodge itself should not have been such a powerful passive but something that is used in conjunction with defense, not an either/or situation. 50/90 means 45% damage reduction average, and that's ignoring the defense. Yea people will argue that you don't get 100% of the defense all the time, but this is averaging and averaging is that one out of every two hits at 50% dodge means you get 90% of the damage reduced. And the bad part of this design philosophy, the one that LR tanks ignore, is that LR is one of the most powerful defensives now, because a LR tank can stack defense, can push their base resistance up to the 80% to 100% range easily and still maintain a high dodge chance and avoidance.

So let's be conservative and call it 80% for a dodge tank and ignoring they might get an AoRP there (150% min let's call it) and have a dodge chance of say 65% with oh 80% avoidance. Let's say they do the smart thing and just block when they need to block alphas and keep saying burning chi up. Let's say the attack is 10,000 points.

Without AoRP that dodge tank that doesn't dodge and isn't blocking will take 5263 damage and 2924 damage when dodged and saying they have a rank 2 block of 300% that becomes 1316 or 731. The average comes out to around 3374 not blocked and 843 blocked.

Compare that to say a regeneration tank, which is a reactive defense instead of a proactive one. I will be fair and use my stats and say the resistance is 109%. Damage I take unblocked is from the same the same attack does 4566 and if I happen to dodge (remember base of 10%/20%) 3805 and a blocked value of 1142 and 951. And my average comes out to 4477 and 1119.

And if we throw in AoRP of the 150% I prescribe above, unblocked dodge tank gets 2857, dodged 1587, and average of 1880 with blocked being 714, dodged 397 and average of 470. For the regeneration tank unblocked 2710, dodged of 2258 and average of 2657 with the blocked value of 678, dodged 565 and average of 664.

Each defensive has its strengths and weaknesses. I think the big problem here is that people are forgetting that block is an important part of their defense, and also forget that defense is suppose to be wagered into this, not just simply dodge. You get over 300% resistance to dot damage as well with LR, and all regeneration has is its reactive healing, the 30% resistance doesn't even apply since it disappears the minute the tank takes any damage and requires the tank to almost always be topped off.

To be blunt, I don't see dodge being so handicapped to not be comparable to other tanks. The complaint of what about big hits that you don't dodge is fairly moot when you see an alpha as a tank you should be blocking to begin with. The fact that one of Dodge's advantages is that it can flat out ignore this basic function of the game in a lot of content lately is a major issue. No I do not feel dodge is handicapped and no I don't feel dodge tanks have it worse than say a regeneration tank and definitely not even in a dire straight as much as say PFF.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Really, if it weren't for the risk of being oneshotted LR would be significantly overpowered; even with no investment in other powers to boost your dodge chance it will routinely get better average mitigation than Defiance. As such, anything that boosts your ability to avoid being oneshotted should be paired with nerfs elsewhere, most likely reducing avoidance. Or possibly putting general diminishing returns on dodge chance, say 100% dodge chance is dodge half the time ;)
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    Making a build that can keep up 100% dodge chance already comes with strong disadvantages. And the debuffs and forced blocking added to recent fights make such dodge builds among the most difficult to play and most likely to die.
    aiqa said:

Making a build that can keep up 100% dodge chance already comes with strong disadvantages.

I wasn't talking about 100% dodge builds. An LR build has higher average mitigation than a Defiance build just standing there doing nothing.

aiqa said:

Making a build that can keep up 100% dodge chance already comes with strong disadvantages.

I wasn't talking about 100% dodge builds. An LR build has higher average mitigation than a Defiance build just standing there doing nothing.
    Higher average mitigation is a meaningless statistic when you are still more likely to die with LR.
    aiqa said:

Higher average mitigation is a meaningless statistic when you are still more likely to die with LR.

Urrr... I did in fact mention that issue:

Really, if it weren't for the risk of being oneshotted LR would be significantly overpowered

aiqa said:

Urrr... I did in fact mention that issue:

Really, if it weren't for the risk of being oneshotted LR would be significantly overpowered

I know. I was wondering why you were now bringing it up, since we already agree it's a meaningless statistic.
    aiqa said:

I know. I was wondering why you were now bringing it up, since we already agree it's a meaningless statistic.

Because the OP was asking for a way to remove the weakness of dodge tanks.

aiqa said:

Because the OP was asking for a way to remove the weakness of dodge tanks.
    Why is a meaningless statistic relevant to that question?
    aiqa said:

It's only meaningless because of the weakness of dodge tanks.
    edited May 2016

aiqa said:

It's only meaningless because of the weakness of dodge tanks.
    The OP is questioning why that weakness has intentionally been increased so much, to the point of LR builds only working if you go the STR/CON route and just tack on LR on a build that would be quite tanky even without a passive. And they are even missing a few things. Builds that depend more on dodging to survive just do not work nicely now, it's now a "when" in stead of a "if" you'll be killed in one hit at some point.
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    The lack of innate resistance on dodge-tanks can be resolved... at the cost of reducing it's avoidance bonus...

I've been working on testing all the passive forms of defense in the game lately and my first round of tests without using any stats or specs shows LR with a base equivilant of 172.4% resistance on a successful dodge... just for comparison Invulnerable has a base of 40% resistance & Defiance has a base of 10.5%/stack. When you take into account that you've got a base Dodge chance of 40% with LR that gives you an average equivilant of 69% resistance right out of the gate. Thats a pretty significant bonus already... So if you want to shore up the weakness then the passive will have to sacrifice some of it's strengeth to bring it in line with other passives.

In my testing I was sitting at 20% resistance from gear that with the tank role bonus became 34.9% effective, and a 55% dodge chance. The result was 207.3% effective resistance with LR for an average of 114% resistance. 6 stack Defiance only reached 97.9% with the same setup. Again this is without super stats for base value... if you add in stats to that you're looking at a much MUCH bigger bonus... plus for every 1% you add to your dodge chance the higher your average resistance grows and the closer to that enormous effecitve resistance value you get.

Now, with the current options it is actually entirely possible to make a dodge tank that is practically unkillable even in Giant Monster fights... LR + EV:VD + IDF + TBD/AS + Juggernaut with as much dodge and defense as possible from gear could easily have an average resistance of around 600%, even more if you throw in CoPD and have an ally with AoRP and another with AoPM... Sure you won't be 100% dodge but you'll be easily around 70% dodge (Which at base LR avoidance is 120% average resistance).

It's worth noting that even with Defiance or Invulnerability you can't match the potential that LR has. Using an identical setup but changing only the passive will yield a significantly lower average resistance. Sure you're constant resistance will go up but even with a failed dodge on the above setup you'll survive pretty much everything that gets thrown at you... And due to EV:VD blocking goes from a "i'm making myself weaker" to a "I'm making myself stronger" situation.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    aiqa said:

The OP is questioning why that weakness has intentionally been increased so much, to the point of LR builds only working if you go the STR/CON route and just tack on LR on a build that would be quite tanky even without a passive. And they are even missing a few things. Builds that depend more on dodging to survive just do not work nicely now, it's now a "when" in stead of a "if" you'll be killed in one hit at some point.

Is there something you're disagreeing with? LR, as is, gets you to diminishing returns on further dodging very quickly and adding more of the dodging type defense on top of that understandably does not work. So the suggestion is to add in other types of defense - either by changing how LR works or by changing how your build works. I suppose the other option is to change how dodge works....is that what you're suggesting?
    edited May 2016
    aiqa said:

Which is why LR should be adjusted to be less about waiting for RNG to bring that "when" about, and become more reliable by minimizing the random aspects of it and giving it some more reliable form of mitigation. We lose nothing by doing this either - randomly dying is not fun, not interesting, and not engaging skill-based gameplay.
    edited May 2016
    kamokami said:

aiqa said:

Is there something you're disagreeing with? LR, as is, gets you to diminishing returns on further dodging very quickly and adding more of the dodging type defense on top of that understandably does not work. So the suggestion is to add in other types of defense - either by changing how LR works or by changing how your build works. I suppose the other option is to change how dodge works....is that what you're suggesting?
    LR already worked, and it always had it's own weaknesses even on builds that could in theory get their dodge to 100%. Now with the new content there here been some additions to intentionally make LR builds weaker to the point of a certain subset of them not being very viable as a tank. This is a problem that has been intentionally added to CO, not something that just exists because the passive is like it is. I find it a bit odd to then try invent stuff to try work around that.
    Post edited by aiqa on
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I have a suggestion that would fix all the issues with dodge... it's honestly a giant nerf roled in with a giant buff...

Dodge Chance capped at 60% - this cap can only be exceeded by Masterful Dodge and Lightning Reflexe's stacking Dodge buff
    Powers that grant Dodge Buffs now grant Avoidance buffs instead
    Lightning Reflexes grants +40% Dodge Chance
    NW, WotW, & Quarry now grant +23% Dodge Chance (NW & WotW grant +23% lump sum, Quarry grants +8% base +5%/stack Audacity)
    LR now grants 20% Resistance
    WotW now grants 10% Resistance
    NW now grants 8% Resistance
    Quarry now Grants 5% Resistance
    Avoidance now uses Cryptic Math
    Avoidance with LR is now 75%/97.5%/120% base (43%/49%/55% mitigation)
    Avoidance from LR scales with superstats, Dodge Chance & resistance does not.
    Base avoidance is now 50% (33% mitigation)

Result: consistant 100% dodge is impossible, but LR tanks now won't die from a failed dodge. Non-LR Dodge builds are more survivable. Dodge on non-dodge builds is now just a chance for extra mitigation. 100% dodge is only achiveable while using MD or from the stacking buff from LR. Statistically an LR tank should dodge between 1/2 and 3/5 of attacks, and resist 20% (+other resistances) of the rest. This is an average resistance of 45% Base which puts it solidly between Invuln and Defiance at base. Which is a good place for it to be.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    aiqa said:

Thank you for actually understanding the problem. I'm not claiming that dodge tanks shouldn't be toned down. I am claiming that breaking them entirely isn't the right way to do it.

Yeah, who said a dodge tank has to use Parry w/Elusive Monk?
    It's not the only build out there. Heck, a pure dodge build would use Fluidity, right? And that buff lasts for ten seconds after blocking for three.

And thank you for providing an actual useful piece of advice that's not "make yet another cookie cutter resistance tank and slap LR on it" - I'd forgotten Fluidity exists because it's such a totally worthless power in anything resembling normal content. Taking both Fluidity and Parry - while a kindof ridiculous power tax on top of everything else you need to make a dodge tank work - should actually let a dodge tank function in most of recent content. (And yes, you need both, because Fluidity is still a totally worthless power in basically all of the rest of the game.)

That won't fix issues with Qwjibo's fire patches, since their damage is only reduced by resistance on the block layer (and Fluidity removes all of that)... but the PTR notes said something about adjusting their areas, so hopefully it will soon be possible to mitigate them by, y'know, just not standing in them.
  • crappynamerulescrappynamerules Posts: 81 Arc User
    Has anyone tried fluidity against the cosmics? I am curious if it counts as a "block" for stuff like the dinosaur spike detonation DoT. I know building with it instead of elusive monk makes it harder to get that spiffy super dodge chance when fighting, but it DOES let you get 100%+ chance while blocking, which is nice. It will probably give you more mitigation that way than an actual block.

Ironically, STR primary with ward/guard-icator and lots of con makes for the best dodge tank though, which I think is a big issue. Folks making dodge tank types probably wanna roll with a dex primary, but dex does not give you options for in built defense like STR does. And you NEED defense optimized for a dodger. You should have at least 100% or so resist for the instances where you don't dodge, as well as very high hp. Dex primary will not give you that, and its enhancements to dodge are fairly pitiful, aside from the little shot to avoidance you can get from mastery.
    Did a bunch of testing this weekend. Results:

If you're willing to spend the power slots and advantage points to take both Fluidity (r2 and Flowing Like The River) and Parry (The Elusive Monk), things are slightly better; Cosmic Teleiosaurus is reasonably tankable with Fluidity. (And yes, Fluidity does count as a block for things like the dino's spike detonation.) There are still some problems, though.

Knock-spam will still kill you unless you're really super-paranoid about blocking all the time; Fluidity's buff technically lasts 10 seconds - but the amount of dodge it grants decays over time, and in practical terms you really get only maybe six seconds (assuming you're also keeping the buff from Thundering Kicks active - without that, Fluidity's decay mechanics allow you a grand total of one second in which to attack) before you need to block for another two-and-a-half.

You still can't tank Qwyjibo. In fact, if you're using fluidity instead of parry, you have no protection at all from the fire patches. The only "good" news here is that Qwyjibo doesn't require as many tanks as the other cosmics, so not being able to tank usually isn't a big deal. Annoying, yes, but... I can live with it.

And I discovered something I'd missed before: Kigatilik has an aura that reduces dodge chance by about 2.3%. Which is obnoxious - if you're normally just at 100% dodge, that renders you completely incapable of tanking. If you're overgeared enough (or just have enough people around with AoPM) to have 102.3% dodge or higher, on the other hand, that -2.3% penalty is completely ignorable. The upshot of this is that my dodge tank works fine at tanking Kigatilik (since there's almost always someone around with AoPM), but isn't usable for tanking dogs.

Suggestion: Change Kigatilik's aura to debuff avoidance instead of dodge chance; -2.3% avoidance would be around a 15-20% increase in damage taken for a dodge tank. This would make it a meaningful penalty for everyone, rather than a penalty that's ignorable for some characters but renders others completely unable to fulfill their primary role.
    edited May 2016
    aiqa said:

LR already worked, and it always had it's own weaknesses even on builds that could in theory get their dodge to 100%. Now with the new content there here been some additions to intentionally make LR builds weaker to the point of a certain subset of them not being very viable as a tank.

The point of the new things seems to be "require tanks to actually use skill". It's really aimed at the Defiance tanks that never block, and LR got caught in the crossfire. However, LR has always been a problem passive, it just differs in the details of how.

I would probably alter things as follows:
    • Adjust most of the major dodge-stacking powers (excluding passives and possibly MD) to grant rating points. That puts them on diminishing returns and makes 100% dodge probably not happen.
    • Adjust most of the avoidance-stacking powers to grant rating points.
    • Place diminishing returns on rating points of avoidance (currently they provide a flat avoidance percentage per rating point, which is obscured by the way the character sheet displays avoidance -- if you have 50% avoidance on your character sheet you actually have +100% avoidance, if you have 80% you actually have +400%).
    • Lightning Reflexes automatically succeeds against attacks above a certain magnitude (say, base damage exceeds 100% of HP); this effect has an internal cooldown.

Lightning Reflexes automatically succeeds against attacks above a certain magnitude (say, base damage exceeds 100% of HP); this effect has an internal cooldown.

That's a very interesting idea; it seems to harken back a bit to the original dodge mechanics from when the game launched, where dodge chances scaled with the charge time of the attack - so you reliably dodged big hits, but could get chewed to pieces by a sequence of small, quick hits.

I don't think it's actually a good idea, though. Either the cooldown is short enough that it functions as guaranteed dodge vs things like Teleiosaurus' bite - at which point LR becomes the defensive power of choice for anything tough - or the cooldown is long enough that it is, in practical terms, not reliable and you might as well just roll the dice the first time.

If I were going to suggest rebuilding dodge mechanics entirely (which I was trying not to do with this thread, but we're there already so whatever), I'd start my considerations with something like this:

LR avoidance scaling changed to be based more on rank of power than on super stats. (Try putting LR on a low level character sometime; the results are... sad.) I'm not going to try to pull numbers out of a hat, but this should be set so that the average damage reduction from LR is comparable to other defensive passives.

LR damage-over-time resistance fixed so that it doesn't apply to dot effects that can also be dodged. (This may entail just removing it outright, as the only dot effects I know of that can't be dodged are ones that ignore LR's dot resistance anyway.)

LR reduces damage on all hits that could have been dodged but weren't as if they had been dodged - and then applies the difference as a non-resistable (and non-dodgeable) damage-over-time effect that spreads the damage out over the next ten seconds.

This would remove the "Oops, you failed to dodge, you're dead now" mechanic of current dodge tanking, while preserving the value of both dodge chance and avoidance; maintaining 100% dodge chance would make for an interesting goal, but would no longer be strictly required for survival - and in some cases you might actually choose to (gasp!) gear for avoidance instead of dodge chance.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    morigosa said:

Suggestion: Change Kigatilik's aura to debuff avoidance instead of dodge chance; -2.3% avoidance would be around a 15-20% increase in damage taken for a dodge tank. This would make it a meaningful penalty for everyone, rather than a penalty that's ignorable for some characters but renders others completely unable to fulfill their primary role.

This is a good idea
  • crappynamerulescrappynamerules Posts: 81 Arc User
    Honestly, I liked the old dodge mechanic like that. It gave dodge its specific niche in defense. Defiance was sorta the "good against all comers" one, invuln was and still does make you extremely resistant to attrition, and LR was great for making sure the big stuff didn't vaporize you, but was actually almost doomed to fail against a lot of smaller attacks that are delivered quickly. Regen and PFF were of course, the crappy ones. Regen has since become more of "the weird one" in that it works but doesn't quite fall into that dynamic and brings its own strengths instead. PFF still gets to be the crappy one, poor PFF.