test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do you like your Themed CCs?

shortbus#4297 shortbus Posts: 100 Arc User
edited April 2016 in Costumes and Concepts
Often someone hosts a costume contest (CC) and for the CC they identify a particular theme they would like to see. As costumers, we might be inspired to dress our characters to look like they fit that theme, maybe make a new character with a pun name for it, or perhaps dig out an old character that just happens to fit that theme. Fun stuff.

My poll here is about how do you like these themes presented to you and judged? I am going to use "Greco-Roman" to explain difference in how we may present and judge our themes.

Do you like them broad with lots of room for interpretation?
"For the upcoming CC the theme is 'Greco-Roman.' Bring a warrior, god, monster, or whatever you have that fits the theme of 'Greco-Roman.' 5 prizes to the best Greco-Roman costumes."

Do you want predefined niche categories within a theme?
"The theme is Greco-Roman. Categories are: best Female warrior, best Male warrior, best God, best Goddess, and best Monster. One prize for each."

A mix?
"Come to our Greco-Roman themed CC. We will have 3 prizes for best in the theme and 1 prize each for Best God and Best Monster."

In your responses, please include how you see these as a costumer, a judge, or a Super Group funding the prizes.

How do you like your Themed CCs? 10 votes

Broad theme with room for interpretation.
20% 2 votes
Theme with specific niches to be filled within a category.
20% 2 votes
A mix: prizes for the overall theme and a couple prizes for specific category. in that theme.
60% 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    I like to see an overall theme and then specific categories. I think that gives the players some fun dynamics to play with.
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    Going to CCs almost on a daily basis, I enjoy seeing the dynamics of having a theme and subcategories for. While I enjoy the casual CCs of "Best tights, tech, fantasy, overall best" kind of CCs, many who go will not fill a specific category. There could be a bunch of tech looks, but very few of the other categories. I feel the best CCs come from when it's one theme and everyone makes costumes based off that theme and the prizes are always larger than the basic CCs for the fact everyone has an equal opportunity to win. I have only judged one CC in my life, and it was fun, a new experience, and something to see within how judges work together on the inside. The time to bring out how to pick a look shows that everyone has their own tastes, but they all discuss why they enjoy it, which is why a overall theme feels the best for everyone is on equal grounds to discuss. As a costumer, I see it as a great way to look around and find people's work of art inspirations to better improve my own, or even help others out if they are seeking advice.

Overall, I find CCs to be a great way to share ideas regardless of how the CC theme is, there is always something to find around that makes you go "That is genius."

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!