test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bulwark - Support Tank

raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
I had this crazy concept for a support tank recently... I'm not sure yet on what her powers should be... but for now I'm interested in any input on if this type of build could even work...

I'm looking to build AoRP + IDF & Protector/Sentry... the concept is a tank who buffs allies defenses as well... any thoughts or suggestions?
^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
jniKqKJ.png

Comments

• Options
    nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 975 Arc User
    shields, heals, stuns, and moar buffs!
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    The dps will be very low w/ such a setup, so I'd prob go w/ Defensive Combo w/ CripC or a high base dps maintain w/ CripC_CS for holding threat.

Also can get some of the many -dmg debuffs: SoD, Ebon Sigils, Mini Drive, Fear/Disorient (Sleep w/ adv), etc. Redirect Force I assume is out since ya need to spend the time building threat.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I made a "tank" like that once. Are you planning to run in Hybrid or Support role? If you go for Hybrid, you could grab "Bulwark" from the protector tree for extra threat generation.

You could grab exhausting strikes and twist fate from their respective trees, and take wrist bolters with the hand-slot advantage. Then spam yer e-builder alongside toggles for a dodge bonus and damage de-buff... I mean, if yer going oddball build, might as well go whole hog XD

That might synergize well with Con PSS for deflection and Fuel My Fire. As long as you can hold aggro, you will have some extra energy coming in.... and a couple of PA toggles with CS hold aggro pretty durn well.
  • Options
    flowcyto said:

The dps will be very low w/ such a setup, so I'd prob go w/ Defensive Combo w/ CripC or a high base dps maintain w/ CripC_CS for holding threat.

Also can get some of the many -dmg debuffs: SoD, Ebon Sigils, Mini Drive, Fear/Disorient (Sleep w/ adv), etc. Redirect Force I assume is out since ya need to spend the time building threat.

dmg debuffs are a good idea...
    vonqball said:

I made a "tank" like that once. Are you planning to run in Hybrid or Support role? If you go for Hybrid, you could grab "Bulwark" from the protector tree for extra threat generation.

You could grab exhausting strikes and twist fate from their respective trees, and take wrist bolters with the hand-slot advantage. Then spam yer e-builder alongside toggles for a dodge bonus and damage de-buff... I mean, if yer going oddball build, might as well go whole hog XD

That might synergize well with Con PSS for deflection and Fuel My Fire. As long as you can hold aggro, you will have some extra energy coming in.... and a couple of PA toggles with CS hold aggro pretty durn well.

The plan was Hybrid with the Bulwark advantage, yes...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Ok, so I think I've got a prospective build... and the concept has taken an even stranger turn now... pushing the "Support Tank" aspect to an extreme and going Celestial Tank...

PowerHouse   (Link to this build)

Name: Bulwark

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1:
    Level 6: Survival Training
    Level 9: Field Ops Training
    Level 12: Command Training
    Level 15: Shrug It Off
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves
    Level 21: Prodigy

Powers:
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Rebuke (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Iniquity (Rank 2, Justice)
    Level 8: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Illumination (Rank 2, Brilliance)
    Level 14: Sigils of Ebon Weakness (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Circle of Ebon Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Reverse Polarity, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 26: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 29: Unbreakable
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Tough (3/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (2/3)
    Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
    Sentry: Persevere (2/2)
    Sentry: Reinforce (2/2)
    Mastery: Sentry Mastery (1/1)

I'll need to get an EU for the build still... currently I could benefit from Spirit Reverb... but in my experiance with SR it's return is abysmally low compared to other EUs... I could possibly work in Thermal Reverb & Pyre/Brimstone for near limitless energy... atleast until TR gets reigned in to be on par with other EUs... If I go with TR then I'll also include Absorb Heat as my self heal, otherwise Conviction...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    Spirit Reverb will only work here if ya use a Fear apply. Ego Sleep w/ adv is good for that + Disorient. Void Shift w/ adv can also work there. If using Iniquity as a tank, then I'd get Conviction as an easy way to self-heal w/o changing targets, since ur using Rebuke offensively I assume.

CoEW comes w/ a healing penalty, so I'd pass on it. If ya want a tanking circle, then CoPD is the way to go- that or CoAP if having energy issues. I'd prob also take Con or Protector Mastery over Sentry's. Illumination is also prob not really worth it w/o Conduit or Ascension, imo; the buff/debuff effects are a bit weak on their own.

The build will be good for team defenses, but I dunno if it'll hold aggro as is. Dps will def be low. Using DE w/ CripC can give ya high enough base dps and threat gen to counteract that- would also help recover from Iniquity or inc dmg easier. Could also consider just selling out to MSA and getting Int over End PSS, though TR can work if ya get at least Flashfire or Eruption w/ adv in there, or Supernatural Power if using DE.

Can also consider trying a bubble + ally res combo; a self-bubble can protect the res from any dmg interruption. Unbreakable can also do this w/ smaller ticks of dmg.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    >.< oops that was supposed to be conduit, not iniquity... my webpage refreshed on me halfway through putting the build together and I hastily put stuff back in...

I had actually forgot about the healing penalty on CoEW, it was actually meant to be my fear proc since it has a chance to fear targets near it.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I have tried a tank not too far from this. I had a very hard time maintaining aggro in teams that had high DPS toons, or toons with Crip Challenge but weren't tank role.

Give yourself a power with Challenging Strikes that you can spam or that is a maintain that will tick, tick, tick for threat, threat, threat. Energy Wave has too long a cooldown for CS in my opinion.

And totally must agree with @flowcyto about picking up a bubble--even a device one like Demonic Flesh Graft--this will let you rez others without being interrupted.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    Ok... so I went back to the drawing board after the last idea... I think this might be a little more viable... shifting her support focus away from healing and more towards Debuffs & Control... changed from Celestial to Sorcery... and I think this might work...

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Invincible
    Level 15: Diplomatic
    Level 18: Shrug It Off
    Level 21: Healthy Mind

Powers:
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Eldritch Blast (Sorcerer's Whim, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Binding of Aratron (Tenable Bonds)
    Level 11: Sigils of Ebon Weakness (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Warlock's Malice, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 23: Hex of Suffering (Rune of Lethargy)
    Level 26: Ego Sleep (Plagued by Nightmares)
    Level 29: Soul Mesmerism (Glossolalia)
    Level 32: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 35: Conviction (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Masterful Dodge

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Enlightened (2/3)
    Intelligence: Battle of Wits (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (3/3)
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Sorc's Whim on Eld Blast is best vs trash on Manip builds using stuns. The effect won't really work on bosses since the adv only kicks in when the target is actually held, and inc dmg from it and other things would break non-stuns early. The dps will still be pretty low in most cases, then.

Do you want a melee/close range tank, or a full ranged tank? For melee, I'd recommend Defense Combo as the centerpiece, for ranged I'd make it some sort of maintain ya can put CripC on. I'm not sure what else to suggest w/o knowing what attacks ya want to use.
  • Options
    Given that 5 of my 7 tanks are Melee... I'm leaning towards ranged to be honest...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    Ok... at this point I really don't know what power set I want to build her into or what direction I really want to go now... All I know for certain still is that I want her to be a Hybrid role AoRP+IDF tank with Prot/Sentry specs...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Build attempt #3... Going back to Celestial... nothing else seems to fit for her...

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Invincible
    Level 15: Shrug It Off
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves
    Level 21: Prodigy

Powers:
    Level 1: Psi Lash
    Level 1: Rebuke (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Celestial Conduit (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Pyre (Challenging Strikes)
    Level 17: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 23: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Reverse Polarity, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 26: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35:Absorb Heat (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Redemption (Salvation)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Tough (3/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (2/3)

I could trade Pre for Ego if needed... Opting for Pyre & Energy Wave for AoE since they seem to fit better thematically for her, and they provide better utility as well...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    Threat gen may still be an issue due to the low dmg, though I suppose tapping Rebuke w/ CripC for single target threat is the bets ya can do w/ it as is.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    flowcyto said:

Threat gen may still be an issue due to the low dmg, though I suppose tapping Rebuke w/ CripC for single target threat is the bets ya can do w/ it as is.

Yea... I'd prefer CripC on Conduit, but unfortunately thats not even an option...

Do you think I should stat Ego instead of Pre? Or would slotting an R7+ Ego mod and high Offense/Defense be enough?
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    Yeah, allowing Conduit to have CripC would make Celestial tanking easier in terms of aggro. I had a Celestial tank tried it as the centerpiece before, w/ Void Shift for CripC, and threat was still an issue even when using FotT as the toggle.
  • Options
    So far after leveling her a bit today, she's performing quite well... though energy is going to be a real issue until I get Pyre & TR on her... Luckily they are her next 2 powers...
    jniKqKJ.png