test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free-to-Play Features Matrix - Updates Needed

ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
This is a copy-paste of a post I made and posted to the Champions Online Discussion board, that I was advised to post here.

While this isn't exactly a pressing issue, the Free-To-Play chart Here has a few discrepancies that could be ironed out. It'd probably help newer players understand what they'll be getting by playing for free, and the bonuses for subscribing.

Firsties~ You could tell that the chart was copy/pasted here, because it still says that Adventure Packs must be purchased by Silver players before they can be played. This was, originally, the case, but was changed quite some time ago. Now, ALL GAME CONTENT IS FREE (hooray!)! It'd be nice if you clarified this in the chart.

Second~ The first subject on the list is 'Custom Archetypes'. One can only infer that it refers to Freeform characters, as "Premium Archetypes" is also listed. First of all, I'd change it to say 'Freeform' since that's what everyone else would know it as. Also, it says that they're 'Unavailable' to Silver players. Now, while this was initially the case, the introduction of the Freeform Slot purchase has changed that fact. I'd suggest changing the Free-to-Play factoid from 'Unavailable' to 'Purchasable'.

Tertiary~ The chart doesn't seem to mention that Gold Players unlock a new character slot for having a character reach level 40. This was a fairly large incentive for which I, personally, subscribed, and might be a good thing to point out in the chart.

Fourth~ The chart says that Chat is 'Limited' to Silver Players. From my understanding, Silver players only have a 'probation period' in which they can't use Zone Chat, and afterwards they have complete chat capabilities. I suggest clarifying this, as I've played games where F2P players are permanently restricted from chat, and the idea of being unable to talk in a Zone/Global Chat would turn me off of a game.

FIF- Similarly with the second point, some features that were originally unavailable to Silver players have been added as "premium" content, like purchasing the Resource Limit upgrade. Additionally, there are some features that have since been made "free" to Gold players, like the "Free" hideout you get when going Gold. It'd also be worth mentioning the upsides of purchasing a LTS that ISN'T included in a normal Gold subscription, like retroactive Veteran Rewards and being able to collect past Monthly Rewards.

Finally...~ ALL OF THESE COULD BE REDUNDANT! I don't know, because the little '[?]' icons aren't working! They don't do anything when you click them, hover over them, or what have you. Normally, hovering over these little icons would give you detailed information of the feature, but I get nada! Zip! Zilch! Nothin'! Squat! ...you get the idea!

The fact is, the Features Matrix chart, itself, is a singular, static image. The little [?] tooltips don't work because they're not even real links, the entire image is one solid picture. If you don't want to click the link above, here's that image.

So, some of these issues COULD have been addressed in the list already, but the information tooltips aren't functioning!

Also, as you can see from the chart, there are some game aspects that did not exist when the Features Matrix was made that now impact Silver/Gold players, like Questionite Refine limits, Vehicles, Supervillain Onslaught availability, etc. As this new content is released, the Features Matrix should show new players how these updates would affect them as Silver players.

Sooo... this would probably help players coming in to Champions Online understand the game, and what they are and aren't getting as Free-to-Play members, more efficiently. Understanding what you're getting into, and what to expect, is key to getting someone to play an MMO; with no information on what the game will entail, a person probably won't even give it a shot!
It makes sense, if you don't think about it.