test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Open Palm Strike feedback

sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
Dear Dev Team

The Basic Power:
I love the animation of this power, and it’s not a terrible power in a mechanical sense, but I often feel that the power is somehow unsatisfying. To me, the power seems to be in-between Burning Chi Fist and Haymaker, but inferior to both of them. Open Palm Strike lacks the sustained dps of BCF and the burst damage and overwhelming power of Haymaker.

The Advantage:
In my opinion, the focused chi blast advantage is the powers main appeal, but it doesn’t feel fair to have a power that all but requires a utility advantage to make the power practical (like orbital cannon). Even focused chi blast seems to not quite have the kind of dps of something like skewer tapping. Skewer tapping seems to have overall higher dps and also the knock on focused chi blast scatters mobs and makes sustained dps impossible while possibly disrupting my teammates.

On a more positive note, focused chi blast has nice range and the AOE component is a bonus. It's one of the more ez melee AOE powers to use and I like that. In general, I feel that there are many Melee AOE powers with respectable DPS in theory but are difficult to leverage in comparison to ranged PBAOEs like hurricane and epidemic. Melee aoe is difficult to apply and and I hope the devs get a chance to address how that affects real world dps in a chaotic team setting versus powerhouse DPS.

Conclusion:
Open Palm Strike is a cool power with a lot of potential, but needs a little love to push it over the edge to be a power that’s desirable in its own rite and not just for its cool animation. Note: that I rarely ever see anyone else with this power and when I do, it’s with the open palm strike advantage. I have never seen anyone use it at rank 3.
When you get around to looking at The Master AT, I hope that you will find time to give Open Palm Strike the same kind of attention that 2 gun mojo/darkness/heavy weapons got.

General Suggestions:
Chi manipulation is the highest form of Martial Art, but open palm strike almost feels like a might power and lacks the kung-Fu finess of a Chi Master. I suggest that OPS have some kind of mechanic that allows me to feel like my mastery of Chi gives me an advantage over my opponent.
  • maybe open palm strike should debuff the charge times of its target by a small stacking amount.
  • maybe it should apply some kind of buff to the user
  • maybe open palm strike debuffs the target in a way that can be "ruptured". The rupture can, but doesn't necessarily have to be damage.
  • maybe OPS zeroes out the targets equilibrium like the psychic tides advantage on TK wave.
  • I strongly feel that the focused chi blast should be the base power of open palm strike. IMO this is the powers saving grace/defining feature and would help it get out of the shadow of BCF and Haymaker.
  • Honestly I doubt my suggestions will make it into the game, but if the changes to darkness and Heavy Weapons are any indication, the devs will figure something out fair. Just don't nerf the DPS please! ;)
FX suggestions:
Please have a look at the FX for the Focused Chi Blast advantage. The current fx is a 2d sprite that doesn't animate :/ . This power is clearly inspired by things like Street Fighter and Dragon Ball, it needs a more flashy "hadoken" or "ka-me-ha-me-ha" visual flare. It also could benefit from some wind physics like Force Cascade and particle effects and light sourcing like Orbital Cannon.
here are some examples:

Thank you kaizerin and the rest of the Dev team for bringing Champions Online back to life and getting me interested in this game again after so many years. @ladygadfly @crypticarkayne @kaizerin @splosions​​

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.

Comments

• sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Current knockback immune damage bonuses on powers:

(This is just for player information, if you want to discuss this further please make a new thread).

Haymaker, Uppercut: 0%-60% based on charge

Annihilate, Faultline, Force Blast, Force Cascade, Force Eruption, Massacre, Upheaval: 25%

Dragon Uppercut, Open Palm Strike: 20%

Eruption, Ebon Rift w/adv: 15%

Wind Breath w/adv: 12.5%​​

Obviously Open Palm Strike could benefit from a standardization of knockback immune damage bonuses to 60%.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    The knockback on this power is just excessive IMO. It scales off strength, so it fits into a melee build. I find that, as a melee, I really don't want to toss all the enemies 100ft and scatter them around.