test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Buff Suggestion for Active Offenses

rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
edited February 2016 in Suggestions Box
Quite simply why people choose Ego Surge + Adv is the Crit + Crit Severity damage buff that comes with it, so why not for other reasons Like diminishing returns, make the damage bonuses on other Active Offenses be Multiplicative then Additive, cause right now their isn't much going for them outside of certain, short lived bonuses and to help break free of holds.
Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."

Comments

• Options
    So no-one else agree's that other AO's should be brought up to similar usefulness to Ego Surge +ADV?
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    gradii said:

Because apparently a few seconds of moderately higher damage every minute is unacceptably overpowered.

I know right? making it so it does as intended is so far-fetched...

• Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    rtma said:

gradii said:

Because apparently a few seconds of moderately higher damage every minute is unacceptably overpowered.

I know right? making it so it does as intended is so far-fetched...

But..that makes sense and that's why it mustn't happen: Build diversity! :)
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options

Is this Sarcasm? cause leaving one AO outperforming the others which draws people to take it out of efficiency/popularity then variety isn't Diverse but Stagnant and Monotonous, If the Damage % bonus from other AO's was multiplicative it can give similar usefulness then just relying on Ego Surge + ADV with CON(Short Term, as intended), Aggressor for example for Str Builds/Enrage, Intensity for Dex Builds, LnL for Munitions builds etc would encourage Diverse & give Thematic builds a chance then conforming to Ego Surge.

• Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    Perhaps AOs should be returned to only affecting set appropriate damage types... that would certainly bring Ego Surge back in line... :p

In all seriousness... ES:NM needs to be nerfed heavily while all other AOs get a major buff... the fact of the matter is that all other AOs are woefully underpowered and ES:NM is vastly overperforming... they all need to be brought in line and meet somewhere in the middle... Honestly a lot of the balance problems with CO would be far better off if Cryptic were to approach them by both nerfing overperformers and buffing underperformers rather than simply doing one or the other...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    AOs have two problems: most of them don't do much (+42-60% damage isn't all that relevant when damage bonuses are routinely +200%), and they're actually all really boring (a vanilla damage bonus with varying gfx). It might be interesting to add a proc effect to all the energy forms (not sure what to do with the non energy forms, the idea doesn't work as well), such as:
    • Electric Sheath: bonus electrical damage, chance to apply negative ions. Bonus damage will spark if target affected by negative ions. As a side change, increase the maximum absorption of Matter-Energy Union by a lot.
    • Immolation: bonus fire damage, chance to apply clinging flames. Blazing Body: can apply clinging flames.
    • Ice Sheath: bonus cold damage, chance to chill target. Supercooled: increases chill chance on both nearby foes and attack target.
    • Ego Surge: bonus ego damage, chance to disorient. Nimble Mind: grants Ego Leech over time (replaces existing function).
    • Ascension: allies near your target (if attacking) are healed. Enemies near your target (if healing) are damaged.
    • Shadow Shroud: bonus dimensional damage, chance to apply fear. Terrifying Visage: Psychotic break can also occur if attacking a feared enemy.
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    rtma said:

Is this Sarcasm? cause leaving one AO outperforming the others which draws people to take it out of efficiency/popularity then variety isn't Diverse but Stagnant and Monotonous, If the Damage % bonus from other AO's was multiplicative it can give similar usefulness then just relying on Ego Surge + ADV with CON(Short Term, as intended), Aggressor for example for Str Builds/Enrage, Intensity for Dex Builds, LnL for Munitions builds etc would encourage Diverse & give Thematic builds a chance then conforming to Ego Surge.

Yep..not the greatest use of sarcasm but yep! :)
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    AOs have two problems: most of them don't do much (+42-60% damage isn't all that relevant when damage bonuses are routinely +200%), and they're actually all really boring (a vanilla damage bonus with varying gfx). It might be interesting to add a proc effect to all the energy forms (not sure what to do with the non energy forms, the idea doesn't work as well), such as:

Electric Sheath: bonus electrical damage, chance to apply negative ions. Bonus damage will spark if target affected by negative ions. As a side change, increase the maximum absorption of Matter-Energy Union by a lot.
    Immolation: bonus fire damage, chance to apply clinging flames. Blazing Body: can apply clinging flames.
    Ice Sheath: bonus cold damage, chance to chill target. Supercooled: increases chill chance on both nearby foes and attack target.
    Ego Surge: bonus ego damage, chance to disorient. Nimble Mind: grants Ego Leech over time (replaces existing function).
    Ascension: allies near your target (if attacking) are healed. Enemies near your target (if healing) are damaged.
    Shadow Shroud: bonus dimensional damage, chance to apply fear.

Pretty much since damage is increase to base, not multiplicative, say you got a 50% boost but already have 200% damage increase. Sounds incredible, of course but you are realistically only looking at a 16.7% increase in damage since the increase is against base damage. And the more bonus damage you already have the less impressive an AO boost becomes. For instance if your damage bonus was up around 300% then that 50% boost only because a 12.5% increase.

Now, Ego Surge definitely needs a swing of the nerf bat, no questions there. Of course the question is how would you possibly rebalance these so they are useful across the spectrum. Ego Surge is definitely OP and needs to be fixed. It's boost should not be so game changing.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!