test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deathwish: Regen Tanking, feedback appreciated :)

So, Deathwish here is my main. I've had him pretty much since launch, and his build has stayed fairly consistent through all the changes Champions has gone through. He's a solid, though not exceptional tank, capable of dealing with most lair or alert battles. That being said, we're now in the age of Teleios builds, and I've been forced to admit that he's no longer effective enough at the things I want to do with him. I'd appreciate some constructive feedback on how I can take his build, and make it viable for higher echelon raids. Thanks in advance.

Some notes: Deathy has a full set of heroic primaries, statted for his stats, with a bit set aside for STR and Ego to drive his attacks. Making a hybrid attack toon has cost me a bit in DPS, but I'm hopeful I can get some feedback on how to better address it. I'm working on getting him Onslaught gear for his secondary equipment. I've gotten gloves of the Defender so far. Not bad.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Soldier
Level 6: Ascetic
Level 9: Daredevil
Level 12: Professional Athlete
Level 15: Shooter
Level 18: Showmanship
Level 21: Wordly

Powers:
Level 1: Rain of Steel
Level 1: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Form of the Tempest
Level 8: Thunderbolt Lunge (Crippling Challenge, Nailed to the Ground)
Level 11: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond the Veil)
Level 14: Lock N Load (Rank 2)
Level 17: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2, Tiger's Courage)
Level 20: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Resurgence
Level 26: Overdrive
Level 29: Unbreakable (Rank 2)
Level 32: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2)
Level 35: Parry (Rank 2, The Elusive Monk)
Level 38: Lead Tempest (Rank 2, Challenging Strikes)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
Constitution: Unyielding (1/2)
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (1/3)
Constitution: Tough (2/3)
Constitution: Resilient (1/2)
Constitution: Deflection (3/3)
Constitution: Quick Healing (2/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (1/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Protector: Fortified Gear (2/3)
Protector: Beacon of Hope (1/3)
Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
Protector: Defensive Expertise (1/3)
Protector: Resolute (2/3)
Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Well, if ur going heavy into dodge then ya could consider LR as the passive; then I'd prob use BCR/RR and maybe stick Thundering Kicks in there for the dodge buff. Otherwise, Regen can work okay, though I may get a shorter cd heal to help it out w/ (like Conviction or Bionic Shielding; maybe avoid BCR then gives ya a 10% final dmg penalty and you wouldn't be high-dodge%).

Some other options.. all are give-and-take, so it'll depend on what things ya want to shore up:
    - Using the Tank role can net you higher threat gen than the Hybrid role (even w/ Bulwark), while also giving higher maxHP and dmgRes- though at the cost of dps and some bonus heal.
    - You'd also have higher threat gen by putting CripC on TGM than on a low dps lunge (assuming its ur main attack); again, the price is base dps, but you'll gain much more threat that way (and gain a small bit of dps back from not having to lunge to refresh CripC).
    - Can also consider Laser Knight on Energy Shield as an alternative to Parry's EM, though keep in mind that both avds only work if using melee attacks- they won't have good uptime if ur main attack is TGM, and prob won't be that worthwhile then. Ebon Void w/ the VD av is a good one to consider if ur blocking often, though.
    - Taking Wardicator or Guardicator as the specs would also boost ur dps over using Protector as a spec. You'll lose some maxHP_threat gen (depending on the role) and have longer AD timers, but gain more Offense, Defense, and crit-based dps.

Misc stuff:
    - Ranking MD is a waste, since rank1 puts you well past 100% dodge while its up. Could move that rank over to Unbreakable or Resurgence or w/e.
    - Ego Surge w/ NM adv is better as an Active Offense than LnL if ur stacking Con as a stat.
    - Tiger's Courage isn't actually a dps increase over rank3 in most cases, since its dmg bonus isn't a final dmg bonus (like a normal rank is).
    - Tough in Con PSS is bugged to only give about half the returns than it prob should, so I'd prob put points in Armored over it (or Fuel My Fire, if having energy issues).
    - Quick Healing also scales poorly; I'd also skip that if ur not using Compassion as the toggle.

If ya want higher dps specs that also give high Defense and some knock resist, ya could also try Str PSS in a STR/Con/Dex setup w/ Juggernaut, Swole, and Brutality. Ya lose Deflection, Adren Rush, End SS, and some MaxHP, though.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Mind if I ask specifically what problem you're having? It seems like a somewhat unfocused build, but you could probably run TA in it.
  • thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    I find that I'm being consistently one-shotted during the fight against Medusa. I know its designed to be a higher tier fight, but I feel like my character can't effectively tank against her, as her damage output is too high. I'm trying to figure out if there's a tweak I can do with my build to make that less of an issue, or I just need to rethink it as a whole.

I've also had issues in the past with maintaining agro on some bosses. Higher DPS allies can sometimes pull the boss off of me. That's mostly a complaint from PUGs, but its still a bit annoying to me.

It seems to me like there is a lot of good synergy with dual blades and dual pistols, but that I'm not doing a good job of utilizing it. For instance, as a tank I need to apply Challenging Strikes and Crippling Challenge. From what Flow said, I should be using TGM for the latter, but I haven't found a good attack which works with the build for the former. The result is that Deathwish is saddled with two sepperate AoEs, when he should only need one. Similarly, I don't know if having three ADs is overkill, or appropriate given my desire to make him highly effective at tanking.

Regeneration also creates its own set of problems, as while I love it for soloing, I know its not optimal for tanking. Its further exacerbated by the fact that I've sort of split the fence on DR vs Dodge chance, as I'm not sure which works better for what I need.
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    Probably something around this :
    PowerHouse   (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Master
    Level 6: Acrobat
    Level 9: Physical Conditioning
    Level 12: Covert Ops Training
    Level 15: Healthy Mind
    Level 18: Body and Mind
    Level 21: Coordinated

Powers:
    Level 1: Rain of Steel
    Level 1: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Form of the Tempest
    Level 8: Thunderbolt Lunge (Crippling Challenge, Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 11: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Masterful Dodge
    Level 17: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2, Tiger's Courage)
    Level 20: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Overdrive
    Level 29: Unbreakable (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Ebon Void (Voracious Darkness)
    Level 38: Lead Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
    Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (1/3)
    Constitution: Tough (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Locus (2/2)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)
    ------------------------------------
    With CON PSS, you shouldn't need Protector. And Overdrive means you're going to use your AoE maintains to proc it, so Guardian will synergy better.
    EotS is a fast pbAoE, hiting 3 ennemies in a full maintain (5.5 sec) and you'll already proc Locus Eruption (I do that with my LR tank). TBD will send the defense bonus from Locus Eruption back as another +offense.
    I would totally forget about Parry w/ Elusive Monk and Deflection if you're not planning to do a LR tank. Ebon Void w/adv will help you better in damage mitigation. This is freeing adv points that you can transfer wherever you want. Here I'm suggesting Resurgence R3 and Lead Tempest R3.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

I find that I'm being consistently one-shotted during the fight against Medusa.

You're not running into defense problems, she doesn't do that much damage if you do it right. You're running into either fail on bombs or her timing bugs. See the TA guide in my sig.