test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

More proc mechanics for Manipulator, to support dedicated hold powers.

ogremindesogremindes Posts: 348 Arc User
edited February 2016 in Suggestions Box
With the recent change to Manipulator, the majority of dedicated Crowd Control powers cannot effectively maintain stacks of that form. These powers all have cooldowns, long durations (on a dedicated control build their duration can easily exceed 20 seconds on many enemies), have to contend with Resistance Stacks (after 2 shots there's immunity, stopping you from using these powers more frequently), and many also require a full charge to activate.

The upshot of this is that if Manipulator is supposed to "reward" the use of Crowd Control powers, it is failing at its purpose. To remedy this, I suggest making Manipulator proc every couple of seconds while an enemy is under the effect of your holds. This wouldn't need to extend to Stuns, as they can be spammed effectively, but to the other hold types: Paralyze, Incapacitate, Sleep, probably other long-duration control effects that I'm not thinking of.

Or, if that's too hard, tripling the duration of Manip would also work. I presume that's why it was set that way to begin with.

-Ogre
Post edited by ogremindes on

Comments

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    Please, there are so many things that could set it off.
    hold, root are both controls​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Meanwhile, they still hasn't fixed the Issue of the powers which don't Trigger Manipulator and SHOULD
    http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/246505/manipulator-the-picky-form
    http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/250260/manipulator-the-picky-form-part-ii-the-sequel

but again, it is Crowd Control and we are in Champions Online​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    avianos said:

Meanwhile, they still hasn't fixed the Issue of the powers which don't Trigger Manipulator and SHOULD

Yeah, that issue is common for powers, those seem to have their condition of activating setted up "manually". I.e. as opposed to automatic trigger of things like Locus, things like Overdrive have link to its procedure written to all maintains, but they seem to forgot add it to several powers, like Conflagration. Fiery Form adds its damage bonus to powers automatically, that's why it buffs Strafing Run, but Targeting Computer requires its condition setted up manually, and doesn't buff Strafing Run, although logically it should be opposite. To fix that it need to be tested very thoroughly and draw attention to all powers (including Bloodmoon, Legacy & other devices) to flag manually those are matching concept (e.g. Ice Grenades could take Targeting Computer bonus, since they've similar look with Frag Grenade and so on).
  • Options
    ogremindesogremindes Posts: 348 Arc User
    chaelk said:

Please, there are so many things that could set it off.

hold, root are both controls​​

Roots isn't really in the realm of what I'm concerned with here. Unless I'm mistaken roots don't cause Hold Resistance and aren't the primary effect of any dedicated control power
    avianos said:

http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/246505/manipulator-the-picky-form

http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/250260/manipulator-the-picky-form-part-ii-the-sequel

but again, it is Crowd Control and we are in Champions Online​​

True, but outside the realm of what I'm addressing: Dedicated Hold powers no longer work effectively with the crowd control form.

-Ogre
  • Options
    spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 635 Arc User
    I felt compelled to take Eldritch Blast to help build and maintain stacks of Manipulator but, with the recent nerf, it seems like a requirement now. If there was any flexibility with making a Controller build, it seems to have been reduced by this change. Maybe, someday, there will be an investment made to increase CC build flexibility and effectiveness?
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Maybe, someday, there will be an investment made to increase CC build flexibility and effectiveness?

Maybe in another game that isn't so blatantly anti-crowd control like CO.

*waits for Internal CD to be added to Manipulator and base cooldowns on CC powers to be increased*

• Options
    edited February 2016
    The intention was to continue down the well trodden road of making Crowd Control even less desirable in CO.

Why do I say this?

The only forms of crowd control which can still reliably stack Manipulator with this stupid nerf are Incapaciderps (Incapacitates), however, when you look at the mechanics behind such a class of CC, you realize that it is not suited for dealing with team content since enemies which are under your control are likely either to:

- Break out.
    - Die from caster or team mate DPS

Both conditions prematurely end the maintain which spells an end to your stacking form and a cooldown on your powers.

Of course, not forgetting the 1-2 second gap on casting where targets can run out of your control range or kill you whilst you are casting.

:neutral:
  • Options
    The Manipulator nerf is really strange. Yes, it was easy to build and maintain stacks of Manipulator before but that seemed to be the only bread crumb CO threw out to Controllers. I can't imagine what caught the Developers' eye that made them focus on Manipulator as an issue. Did a controller's flashy but ineffective incapacitate distract someone during the TGM storm? I just don't see what we were saved from?

It's a bit sad, but the fantasy generating center of my brain, for an instant, dreamed the nerf might be in preparation for upcoming CC fixes that would make sense of the Manipulator nerf.
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    Ten bucks says a GM/Dev was moonlighting in PvP and got chain-CC'd from someone with Manipulator stacks, or something similar.
  • Options
    If stun locking is the issue, they need to remove stuns from being buffed by Manipulator instead of killing Manipulator. I thought normal CC powers were nerfed to a 4 second max time in PVP so it's hard to imagine someone being chain-CC'd.
  • Options

If stun locking is the issue, they need to remove stuns from being buffed by Manipulator instead of killing Manipulator. I thought normal CC powers were nerfed to a 4 second max time in PVP so it's hard to imagine someone being chain-CC'd.

Yeah I discussed that on the Crowd Control Discussion thread in PTS thread, I recommend you check it out and my fake patch notes