test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Theres a proper DC version of Scooby Doo now.

nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

And oddly I don't hate this. Haha they even updated his stupid faces with a holographic emoji projector and why the hell does Shaggy suddenly look British? :D
nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!

Comments

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Shaggy looks like UFC fighter ConorMcGregor
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they ruined it.
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Like wow, man

So they used to be a dog, a hippie, a yuppie, the popular girl, and the nerd.

Now it's just a dog and a bunch of hipsters I guess.

Not that I really care, I was never a fan anyway...and this does at least look mildly interesting.

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Huh. Shaggy as played by the Green Arrow. That is quite stupid.

Emoticon projector for Scoob. That's stupid. Kinda lifted from Pizza Dog.

And are they ghost busters or crime fighters now? What's with those weird weapons? Completely changes the whole premise of what Scooby Doo used to be, I think. (I'm just going off of this picture though.)

Ugh, that Shaggy is REALLY stupid.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    tehpawstehpaws Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    nepht said:

So, Fred went from ascot jock to tribal tats bro, Shaggy went from a hippie to a hipster, Velma has a drone because...drones, I guess, Daphne went from token damsel in distress to...well I'm not actually sure what she is, but she has on purple "camo" pants and I can't take that seriously. And Scooby had actual emoting replaced with emoji bubbles, because I guess an expressive dog is unrealistic?

On top of that, going by their gear, they've apparently ditched the "guy in a costume" mysteries for straight up monster hunting again. What is even any of this?

EDIT: As a brief note simply on cover arrangement, while I suppose the myriad of emotes bubbling off of Scooby's gear is supposed to just set a visual example for the viewer, to me it just looks like the thing is either on the fritz or poor Scoob is having an emotional breakdown. And based on the character positioning, Velma appears to be maybe four feet tall.
  • Options
    artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    tehpaws said:

nepht said:

So, Fred went from ascot jock to tribal tats bro, Shaggy went from a hippie to a hipster, Velma has a drone because...drones, I guess, Daphne went from token damsel in distress to...well I'm not actually sure what she is, but she has on purple "camo" pants and I can't take that seriously. And Scooby had actual emoting replaced with emoji bubbles, because I guess an expressive dog is unrealistic?

On top of that, going by their gear, they've apparently ditched the "guy in a costume" mysteries for straight up monster hunting again. What is even any of this?

EDIT: As a brief note simply on cover arrangement, while I suppose the myriad of emotes bubbling off of Scooby's gear is supposed to just set a visual example for the viewer, to me it just looks like the thing is either on the fritz or poor Scoob is having an emotional breakdown. And based on the character positioning, Velma appears to be maybe four feet tall.
    I'm reminded of Edna Mode.
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Jim Lee never impressed me with his character design skill, anyway. This is about what I'd expect from him.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I was a bit annoyed when I first seen it but then I read some more about it . This isnt a reboot of the cartoon versions they are still a thing and un-messed with. This is the DCU version so I'm like ok that makes more sense I no longer hate this. But what baffles me why Scooby Doo? Why not a DC version of Bug Bunny or Taz?

You know what bothers me even more...why hasn't Disney done Marvel version of The Incredibles?
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    I liked it when Mystery Incorporated introduced a darker and slightly more serious tone with some drama between the characters. That felt like a nice revamp of the show.

This though? Looks stupid.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Wish they would do more Mystery Incorporated, that was a return to form for Scooby Doo. Hell I would take the Ghoul School ore Reluctant Werewolf over this one. At least it was meant to be fun and not uber serious dreck.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    Scooby Doo's original message was "There are no monsters, only men", regardless of how stupid the original show was, that was a message I could get behind. These days it's a complete reversal, Scooby and Shaggy were cowards and fools for being afraid of the unknown, now there are very real things that go bump in the night. I don't see this as a general improvement on the original formula, rather it's more like a different spin on the rebooted cartoon.
  • Options
    guyhumual wrote: »
    Scooby Doo's original message was "There are no monsters, only men", regardless of how stupid the original show was, that was a message I could get behind. These days it's a complete reversal, Scooby and Shaggy were cowards and fools for being afraid of the unknown, now there are very real things that go bump in the night. I don't see this as a general improvement on the original formula, rather it's more like a different spin on the rebooted cartoon.

I dun think Scooby Doo had an original message other than teenagers solving mysteries. It was either William Hanna or Joseph Barbera themselves that said in an interview once (I can't remember which it was but I know one of them publicly said it) that they never understood how Scooby Doo was so popular since all it was was a story about kids solving mysteries on a very limited budget.

But what attracted people to the show was because it did make the kids feel like something attainable, even if it was silly and a bit fantastical, was something they could do. Something that was plausible, though the idea of a person in a cheap rubber suit at the end looking real becomes less plausible the more you think about it. The whole kids are special movement that ballooned out wasn't going on at the time and for a kid to think they could do something important and special was a nice thing. If it was a message it was unintentional, but now a days it's being distorted and the understanding behind it is lost.

The closest the series has gotten back to those roots, IMO, was Mysteries Incorporated that aired a while ago. It mixed in enough supernatural elements to be just a bit more but didn't deviate far from the roots of Scooby Doo. Only thing I wish is they would stop making Shaggy a vegan just because of Kasey Kassem. Boy would eat anything, and that's canon. Making him a vegan these days is ridiculous.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    The main reason I remember Scooby Doo fondly was because despite all the ridiculous things that happened, in the end there were no monsters, and there was a logical explanation. I don't see how a rubber mask was more implausible to there actually being monsters.

As to the theory that what the mystery crew were doing was attainable, well maybe, it certainly wasn't something that resonated with me, driving around in a van solving mysteries seemed as attainable as joining GI Joe and fighting Cobra. I didn't see Scooby Doo as a teen. It's entirely possible for that to be one of the reasons for the show's success, although it wasn't the only cartoon about teens so I'm not sure why Scooby would resonate more then the other cartoons about teens, but at the age I was watching it everything seemed possible.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    FWIW, this new design apparently features the Scooby Gang in a post-apocalyptic future - hence the greater emphasis on weaponry and sci-fi gear. No idea about Shaggy, though.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    That doesn't make it any less stupid, in my opinion.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

That doesn't make it any less stupid, in my opinion.

I would argue that makes it more stupid.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

guyhumual wrote: »

I dun think Scooby Doo had an original message other than teenagers solving mysteries. It was either William Hanna or Joseph Barbera themselves that said in an interview once (I can't remember which it was but I know one of them publicly said it) that they never understood how Scooby Doo was so popular since all it was was a story about kids solving mysteries on a very limited budget.

But what attracted people to the show was because it did make the kids feel like something attainable, even if it was silly and a bit fantastical, was something they could do. Something that was plausible, though the idea of a person in a cheap rubber suit at the end looking real becomes less plausible the more you think about it. The whole kids are special movement that ballooned out wasn't going on at the time and for a kid to think they could do something important and special was a nice thing. If it was a message it was unintentional, but now a days it's being distorted and the understanding behind it is lost.

The closest the series has gotten back to those roots, IMO, was Mysteries Incorporated that aired a while ago. It mixed in enough supernatural elements to be just a bit more but didn't deviate far from the roots of Scooby Doo. Only thing I wish is they would stop making Shaggy a vegan just because of Kasey Kassem. Boy would eat anything, and that's canon. Making him a vegan these days is ridiculous.​​Yeah really.... when I heard he was supposedly vegan it made no sense at all.

anyways, the premise here is that the gang gets formed to fix things when someone creates a plague with nanotech that makes people crazy.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    I long for the days when comics writers just made stuff up. Plague? Okay. Nanotech? Barf.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    Well, the nanotech bit is part of the explanation for how the gang is able to fix people.

And realistically there's little difference between an artificially engineered virus with miracle cure, and nanomachines. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 975 Arc User
    O my God
    what the actual F.
    ok wasnt enough with Scooby doo drama thing that warner put out?
    yes im talking about you ¬.¬

Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • Options
    Mysteries Inc was AWESOME! It had some really fun villains. :) It was just corny enough to be fun, just serious enough to be exciting. :)
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    they turned a kids show to some teenage drama thingie >:c
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

• Options
    Umm... "kids"? how young do you think the original target audience was? I'm going with... older than 12.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    That looks better then the current Scooby doo cartoon.

Mystery Inc was great, Be cool Scooby Doo looks terrible. It's on par though with the rest of the stuff on CN now.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    naciiito wrote: »
    they turned a kids show to some teenage drama thingie >:c

Out. Considering ALL the main characters are old enough to drive in Scooby Doo, and in high school level (in the original Scooby Doo series), I hardly doubt this is something you call aimed at kids. It was dumbed down to kids stuff in later iterations until Mysteries Inc., which got back to the roots. The original Scooby Doo had a lot of adult themes in it as well, and for the time, could be legitimately scary with things. I know the Spooky Space Kook scared the bejeebus out of me when I was growing up.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    It would have been alright if Velma didn't look like a midget and Scooby Doo looking like an anime dog.

Haven't watched the new show, but I saw those Brickleberry-like character designs before. Not sure if kids will like that.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    hmmm, maybe I can give that show another try....
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

• Options
    So, I read this today. It's ****.

It's your typical reboot. Everything's completely different except you already "know the characters" from something else. Unfortunately, the characters are so different that it's basically only Scooby Doo in name. It's painfully lame.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    So it's like every other reboot of Scooby Doo? :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    I haven't seen any of the other reboots, but it's the typical reboot that just wants the brand name power but wants to change everything else about it. I'm honestly surprised they didn't take this chance to make them all non-white and non-straight versions of them so they could get rave reviews from themarysue.com
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    This may shock you, but I don't think the writers made them different just because they can. :p Try watching the Zombie island movie. :) It's about as different as you can get without scrapping the original premise. 1: there are real zombies, 2: the characters have actual jobs(and are written as early 20s)... 3: they all look different. They ACT the same though.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

I haven't seen any of the other reboots, but it's the typical reboot that just wants the brand name power but wants to change everything else about it. I'm honestly surprised they didn't take this chance to make them all non-white and non-straight versions of them so they could get rave reviews from themarysue.com

Legendary.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Wasn't Scooby Doo always ****?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    Yeah but now it's just a different flavor.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    I'm glad that's all cleared up now.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options

Wasn't Scooby Doo always ****?

Zenith has just nailed this thread. Move along peoples.