test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I have a question about The Infamous Qliphoth energy

ngeluzngeluz Posts: 60 Arc User
edited January 2016 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
So I had been hunting lore of CO of late and I have a few questions but I will start with this one:

The Infamous Qliphoth energy… we finally got a Super Darkness power that actually uses that TYPE of Darkness…

So that means Q-energy is now usable? Does that mean that in the future the players in CO will have access to Arcane Power Armor like Shadow Destroyer or the Lemurians?

Is it related to how Shadow Destroyer influences our current CO Timeline? And is he really gone?

If he is not gone… now that we know he is not the Real Destroyer will he appear with another name or new look?

His in-game description said that he help Luthor Black and his Demon organization, so is Shadow Destroyers Masters the "Presences Beyond" the same as the Kings of Edom or something more terrible and powerful enogh to have a mortal like Luthor play with them the way he did?

Is there anything written about this in the Pen and Paper version of the game?

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Hiya, ngeluz! Some of what you ask has PnP game lore relevant to it, so I will answer your questions on that basis. Just keep in mind that anything which hasn't yet been established or defined for either version of the game could appear in CO in whatever form the devs desire.
    ngeluz said:

So I had been hunting lore of CO of late and I have a few questions but I will start with this one:

The Infamous Qliphoth energy… we finally got a Super Darkness power that actually uses that TYPE of Darkness…

So that means Q-energy is now usable? Does that mean that in the future the players in CO will have access to Arcane Power Armor like Shadow Destroyer or the Lemurians?

What CO might ultimately decide to use the energy of the Qliphoth for is up to them; but by the lore for both games, while Qliphothic power has sometimes been usable by beings from our universe, its use has always been depicted as corruptive and destructive to such beings, physically, mentally/spiritually, or both. Practically speaking, it can't be put to a "good" purpose, and any good-intentioned user wouldn't stay that way for long.

Although the Rastrinfahr, the gods of the Lemurians, have been identified by CO as Kings of Edom, and the Bleak Minions were mutated through the touch of the Qliphoth, Lemurian magical constructs aren't powered by that energy, but by the magical fuel called ignaetium.
    ngeluz said:

Is it related to how Shadow Destroyer influences our current CO Timeline? And is he really gone?

If he is not gone… now that we know he is not the Real Destroyer will he appear with another name or new look?

The last PnP publication dealing with Shadow Destroyer came out before the Resistance adventure pack, so what happened to him there is the latest info about SD. Whether he'll appear again is up to the devs, but as this setting is based on comic books, if you haven't seen the dead body, don't bet against it. ;)
    ngeluz said:

His in-game description said that he help Luthor Black and his Demon organization, so is Shadow Destroyers Masters the "Presences Beyond" the same as the Kings of Edom or something more terrible and powerful enogh to have a mortal like Luthor play with them the way he did?

Is there anything written about this in the Pen and Paper version of the game?

The Presences Beyond are Qliphothic entities of great power, but whether or not they're related to the Kings of Edom is a matter for conjecture. These beings are so alien to us, they're difficult to define. Their power relative to each other is also unknown, although the mightiest Kings have power, or at least the potential for power, beyond human comprehension. However, what the PnP game does explicitly state is that the PB are the same entities who created Sharna-Gorak the Destroyer, the awesome monster who brought about the Cataclysm which sank Atlantis and reshaped the surface of the world, over thirty thousand years ago.

Shadow Destroyer "helped" Luther Black because he believed Black's attempt to tap the power of the freed Kings of Edom would fail, but could be turned to enhance SD's own strength and benefit the Presences Beyond. OTOH Black was unaware of SD's intervention on his behalf, but recognized that SD's presence on Champions Earth would strengthen his own spells to free the Kings. So it's a matter of each chess master considering the other a piece on his board, albeit a dangerous one to use.

• ngeluzngeluz Posts: 60 Arc User
    Wow thanks a lot for all that yummy lore! OMG its such a crime to not have all this yummy lore as an active part of the current CO!!! God I hope the online games add more and more cool lore we can interact with!!! OOOHHHH the torture of waiting is killing me!

Anyway thank you so much for the answer I’ll hit this part of the forums again ones i finish my lore hunting on the Q-energy stuff... I think after this Ill sink my teeth into getting the Dr. Destroyer lore... see what up with him... I’m am a bit annoyed that as terrible or powerful as he is describe... the online game seems to not do him justice on that... Gravitar being an example of that... she seems so powerful that makes one think she can take him or anyone on with her raw power alone... (god I hate that blond bimbo so much… it’s such a pain just seeing her and even worst how easily she one shots almost everything)

Also there is not enough of his great global organization… in the game the most you see as a powerful organization is Viper, the fact that he despises magic kind of sounds like he would have a mayor whole in his empire… this is me guessing comparing it to Lord Recluse Arachnos Empire that basically cover everything in every division from tech, mutant, alien, meta human or even magic…(R.I.P. not that it matters since if we apply the CO lore that universe, is in Qliphoth dying, decaying or just being devoured by its horrors as we speak hahaha) I guess I’ll look into him when I’m done with this Q-lore stuff in game I haven’t complete…

Thank you for the answers again!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    If you have an interest in what the PnP game lore says about any particular subject, I can direct you to the books that have the latest and/or most in-depth coverage of it.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    bulgarex said:

Whether he'll appear again is up to the devs, but as this setting is based on comic books, if you haven't seen the dead body, don't bet against it. ;)

And sometimes, even if you do see a dead body (or witness someone explode) they'll return. Just ask Teleios about what happens in the Monster Island Crisis.

Perfect clones, sentient energy beings, disembodied psychics, contingency magic, divine/demonic intervention and so on are all staples of a setting such as this.