test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Any Marvel fans out there?

Hello people of Champions Online! I am looking to start a Marvel themed super group. I am fairly new to this amazing game(about a week) but consider myself to be a hardcore player. I have lots of free time & most of it is spent in-game leveling up. I have heard that there are Marvel themed leagues but as much as i have been playing i have yet to come across any. In fact iv only come across two other similarly themed characters in total since I began. So I would like to create one with those looking to have fun/epic times. Requirements: Any level is welcome, whether new or experienced. Active players like myself are preferred but casual players are 100% welcome. I am only looking for one of each character for the league,no multiples. In other words if you decided to be Iron man then YOU are the only Iron man in league. Role playing is great & if that's what you are into then feel free. The name has not been decided yet so suggestions & ideas are welcome. Other than that folks I look forward to seeing you all in-game & hope that you have a wonderful day :) .

Comments

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    You might want to reconsider this.

Making a clone of a Marvel character is against ToS. Your character can be reported which might erase your costume, bio and/or name. I would suggest a homage but most people don't know how to do that without making a clone.

The Marvel/DC SG are bad. People in CO do not like them because of the persistent rule breaking. Ye be warned.
  • Options
    Well there goes that...thanks for heads up.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    There is one group I saw that was called amalgam or something similar. And I was disappointed in the missed opportunity to merge marvel and dc looks, as the ones I saw were just clones.

But you could aways do something like that. It's very possible to make homage based SG but being Tony Stark/ Iron Man is bad. You could make someone called Tony Kent and make a guy in tights with armor pieces.

I don't want to discourage you in making a SG but I want you to be aware of the potential rule violation.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Crossovers can be fun! (See: Spider-Bat, Superbat) So can homages (see: Captain Americlown, Supermanx). Straight-up cloning of trademarked characters, though? Cryptic can't have that - especially now that Marvel gets to use Disney's legal department. Can't risk getting the game shut down because somebody wants to translate an existing character straight into CO. So they have to clamp down on that whenever they see it. (Some clones manage to slide under the radar for a while, but they all get caught eventually.)

I suppose you could do a supergroup of homage characters - Steel Man, Superbguy, the Arachnid, and like that - so long as you make sure the costumes aren't exact copies and you don't steal the bio. (I actually already have a character called the Arachnid, a wannabe ninja who got himself injected with an experimental spider-serum so he could achieve his dream, but it's no spandex off my mask if someone else wants to use the name too.)

(Edit: It occurs to me that I should clear one thing up. There are clones who try to get around forbidden names by putting X at the beginning and/or end; that was what inspired Supermanx. He has the name, though, because he's a genetic chimera composed of DNA from a superhuman and a Manx cat.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guy's I appreciate it. Now I have a better understanding of the situation & ways I can manage :) . I'm not discouraged from making a league but the theme will definitely change.I'm an all or nothing guy when it comes to creating so I know that a homage would always sting me inside. I'm really digging this game so im okay with not having my way haha. I can be just as creative as the rest of them. Thanks again yallz!
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    jonsills said:

(Edit: It occurs to me that I should clear one thing up. There are clones who try to get around forbidden names by putting X at the beginning and/or end; that was what inspired Supermanx. He has the name, though, because he's a genetic chimera composed of DNA from a superhuman and a Manx cat.)

Once again you make me smile, Jon. :)