test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - non-spoiler reviews

tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
edited December 2015 in Off Topic
Summary - IMHO, it's good, it delivers exactly what fans loved about the original trilogy, but then that's all it delivers.

My favourite Star Wars films are The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope from the original trilogy. As a film, I consider The Force Awakens to be right behind those two, and way, way better than Episodes I to III. It is probably the 1st Star Wars film I actually enjoyed in the theatre.

The new characters are well-acted and actually have good dialogue to work with. The major things fans speculated about, like the new Darth Vader wannabe with his helmet, are revealed in a satisfactory way without over-exposition (i.e. no midichlorians speech).

You may have seen the trailers and it features one of the original trilogy's protagonists "coming home". I was worried this character would only get a cameo, like transporting the new heroes to their next plot point, but in fact has a huge, huge story arc alongside them.

The Force Awakens has all the things I loved from Star Wars, yet none of the things I hate, like Jar Jar Binks. So what's the problem?

The problem is that it is so much of a re-tread of what we've already seen. I kept flashing back to the original trilogy. I think this was a calculated move where, after Episodes I to III, the team of the Force Awakens didn't want to take any risks, just play it safe.

As said, I rate it behind Empire and A New Hope, but The Force Awakens isn't innovation...it's renovation, updating things from the original trilogy and fixing the major problems from the prequels. It's still good, but maybe not as good as what it could have been.
Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com