test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Explaining Onslaught

crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
edited September 2015 in Champions Online Discussion
So I need full clarity on everything available.

There are two forms of tokens, two forms of Onslaught Villains, and a separate Usage token.

The Two Forms of Tokens:
Guardian Tokens are gained by fighting villains and Villain Tokens are gained by defeating players and Onslaught targets.

The Two Forms of Onslaught Villains
Subscribers and Lifetimers get a free single use Onslaught device each day. To get more uses, you must first get Guardian Tokens (10,000) to purchase the Unlock Onslaught : [Villain Name Here] or get them from the new lockbox. Then you must purchase the Onslaught Tokens themselves with 1,000 Guardian Tokens or 10,000 Questionite in order to use the villains you unlocked through the vendor.

Infographic thankfully made and provided by Stellariodragon below.

It seems that when you unlock a villain, its only for the character you unlocked it on and not account wide? Please make them unlock account wide.

So the system is farm for the tokens to farm for unlocks that require more tokens to farm (for EVERY character you have), in order to actually get the access to the thing that lets you do the real farming for actual rewards.​​
Post edited by crypticbuxom on

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

So the system is farm for the tokens to farm for unlocks that require more tokens to farm (for EVERY character you have), in order to actually get the access to the thing that lets you do the real farming for actual rewards.​​

Only if you absolutely must gain tokens faster than can be done with your daily missions.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    I'm waiting for the screams, as players who don't frequent the forums, get the secondary gear and find it has no stats except for things like defence.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    chaelk said:

I'm waiting for the screams, as players who don't frequent the forums, get the secondary gear and find it has no stats except for things like defence.​​

You can, I don't know, look at the gear in the store?
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Just over 1100 tokens earned on both sides today. 4 hours of gameplay.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User

Not too hard to gain Guardian tokens if you are a tank. Earning Villian tokens seems a bit harder often for one of four reasons.

1) No one around when you need to fight them.
    2) Accidentally walk past a turret.
    3) Get beat to crud by the UNTIL Power Armor. (Usually this only happens to Gravitar)
    4) Get ganged up on by only a bunch of tanks that you cannot kill.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I have 290 tokens to show for two days worth. I don't see how you got over 1100 unless its from multiple characters.

Edit:
    I did get more but only when I hanged around spawn and murdered lowbies the second the debuff goes away. The spawn needs to be moved to inside the police station.​​
    Post edited by crypticbuxom on
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

That seems like terrible progress, Bluhman. Three days of play dedicated to one grind, on only one toon. That means about one month, playing only this content, with the same toon every time, to get one unlock.

The tokens can't be shared, either. So folks with alts face a very tough road.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    Of course this isn't alt friendly. Everything developed now is based on the mentality that players don't have more than one character.​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

That seems like terrible progress, Bluhman. Three days of play dedicated to one grind, on only one toon. That means about one month, playing only this content, with the same toon every time, to get one unlock.

Oh no, three days of playing video games. Wait, playing video games for months? Listen mister, I didn't get interested in video games to play them daily for the last thirty years of my life, so you can take the whole thing and stuff it. *throws computer in the trash and begins a hobby whittling those over-sized wooden kitchen spoons into smaller more practically sized wooden kitchen spoons... and then throwing them in a fire* >:C
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Currently sitting on 7.1k Villain Tokens and 1k Guardian Tokens accumulated on Mentella since Onslaught went LIVE. Multiple runs as Medusa. A few hours each day.

I just wish the repel stuff was fixed before it went LIVE.

Then again, it's better it went LIVE without those MCPD Protectors...could you imagine the amount of Onslaught devices wasted because of those guys?

• pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    It seems pretty easy to accumulate Guardian tokens when you join one of the many, ongoing gang battles that show up in Westside these days. Make sure you get a little damage on each villain present and when they go down, you get G tokens. I made something like 1600 in just a couple hours doing that. That includes the 250 you get from non-Telios.

V tokens seem to be harder, but I think that is only because I have not figured out the tricks to the villains, yet. Once I get those down and can mow down players faster, it will be better.

I do wish they would do something about allowing the villains so close to respawn points. Put the guns out in front of the respawn point, rather than hiding behind it, for example. But, even with being killed three times in a row standing in the respawn circle, it is not terribly hard to rack up G tokens. Just gotta learn to stand up and move away fast.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    spinnytop said:

Oh no, three days of playing video games. Wait, playing video games for months? Listen mister, I didn't get interested in video games to play them daily for the last thirty years of my life, so you can take the whole thing and stuff it. *throws computer in the trash and begins a hobby whittling those over-sized wooden kitchen spoons into smaller more practically sized wooden kitchen spoons... and then throwing them in a fire* >:C
    Spinny stop pushing this evil, Chinese precedence that was created by suits! GOD no one would ever enjoy that and it'd never catch on in MMOs.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
    edited September 2015
    for Medusa, I find the defender dies after 3,4,1. he usually doesn't notice 3, starts running for 4 and gets killed when eh gets to me with 1.

Someone suggested putting a forcesheild over it but then players would just stand behind and snipe... except the poor melee people.

no idea what tokens I have, since I have zero interest in handing them in for anything. It doesn't matter​​

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I Barely got 1195 Villain Token so far!
    in 1-2 Month(s) with the dailies and such, I may manage to buy Lance Rain >_>
    Already lost interest
    Of course this isn't alt friendly. Everything developed now is based on the mentality that players don't have more than one character.
    \

ALL MY HATES!

That seems like terrible progress, Bluhman. Three days of play dedicated to one grind, on only one toon

That's Brou, Bluhman hasn't even posted in this thread​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    Just remember guys. Figuring out some trick where you can just stand off to the side or lay on the ground dead and still gather guardian tokens may make you feel clever and vindicated, but it's also slower than just going in there and dealing at least some damage, even if it's between repeated respawns. Good for the ego too.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Just remember guys. Figuring out some trick where you can just stand off to the side or lay on the ground dead and still gather guardian tokens may make you feel clever and vindicated, but it's also slower than just going in there and dealing at least some damage, even if it's between repeated respawns. Good for the ego too.

Actually as long as you have the tag running you just need to be in the ZONE and you get credit. Not really hard. Standing among the villains with a Ebon Void toggled on permanently works well too. I mean why bother trying to fight when you have four or five SV's all ontop of you?

Also everyone should keep in mind that whenever you unlock a SV to play as that only works for the character you unlock them on.
    edited September 2015
    spinnytop said:

We agree more often than not, Spinny. You're doing the strawman thing here. I enjoy video games, and Champs is my main game.
    Still, imagine a type of content you don't enjoy in Champs, and then imagine that it is the only way to get the new thing you do want. Then imagine that this type of play has to fill your play time for 3-4 weeks for each of three items.
    It's a drag.

If the tokens were accumulated per account, like Rampage or old-school crafting, then at least I could alt out to give myself some variety.

EDIT: Those were Guardian tokens I earned. I only earned 50 Villain tokens, and since I need 10,000 per power unlock . . . oh.

Post edited by roughbearmattach on

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

Still, imagine a type of content you don't enjoy in Champs

I just wouldn't play it.

and then imagine that it is the only way to get the new thing you do want.

I just wouldn't play it.

Video game rewards are never worth doing something that isn't fun.

As for the villain rewards, they'll come when I get there. I'm going to do the event when I feel like it, and eventually the tokens will add up....or they won't, what do I care. Sure, I really want the tank gear for my tanks, and that sniper thingy looks great for some of my builds, and I want to try out all the new powers... but I'm not going to sacrifice a good time now for a good time later.

So my suggestion is, if the Rampage isn't fun for you, skip it. You had fun playing this game before you had those new powers, you can have fun playing this game after. You can have fun playing this game while you wait to have enough tokens to get the new powers.

I know, I know... "NEW TOY! *drop old toy and forget about it forever*". I was a kid once too.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Man, I got like 0 tokens and that's like after zero time playing onslaught missions. Why can't they just give them to me for free? I do enjoy watching some of the fights though.
    guyhumual wrote: »
    Man, I got like 0 tokens and that's like after zero time playing onslaught missions. Why can't they just give them to me for free? I do enjoy watching some of the fights though.

se if they can create a special position Announcer, you acall out the battles for everyone across all the maps. That way everybody knows whats going on.

you can get paid in tokens.​​

spinnytop said:

So my suggestion is, if the Rampage isn't fun for you, skip it. You had fun playing this game before you had those new powers, you can have fun playing this game after. You can have fun playing this game while you wait to have enough tokens to get the new powers.

I know, I know... "NEW TOY! *drop old toy and forget about it forever*". I was a kid once too.

My interest in the game is waning, and things like new powers renew my interest. It's a bit of a conflict for me.
    I'm not angry or upset, just kinda bummed.

• sammiefightersammiefighter Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    As other said, yes that. or the TLDNR version "Guardian tokens are the 'fuel' for Onslaught/Villans program'

On the bind to account, yes please (mm where's the thread for that). I see they want to stretch this out but
    1) Nothing to do with out token "change"
    2) Problems getting G. Tokens with certain character types to get your turn (more leeching/trolling?)
    3) Daily wise, 2000 Villan tokens in over 5 days, so 4-5 weeks for 1 power unlock. Now compare to those "with mad skills" raking in 1-2k V. Tokens per turn tunneling through the wall with Q on a single character. The wall/differential between the two seems far too high, BTA balances this, and you'd still put in significant time doing 10 alts/day.
    4) After power unlocks there is still gearing any character to extend the system further.
    Post edited by sammiefighter on

As other said, yes that. or the TLDNR version "Guardian tokens are the 'fuel' for Onslaught/Villans program'

On the bind to account, yes please (mm where's the thread for that). I see they want to stretch this out but
    1) Nothing to do with out token "change"
    2) Problems getting Tokens with certain character types (more leeching/trolling?)
    3) Daily wise, 2000 tokens in over 5 days, so 4-5 weeks for 1 power unlock. Now compare to those "with mad skills" raking in 1-2k tokens per turn tunneling through the wall with Q on a single character. The wall/differential between the two seems far too high, BTA balances this, and you'd still put in significant time doing 10 alts/day.
    4) After power unlocks there is still gearing any character to extend the system further.

Guardian Tokens don't net you a new power. That is Villain Tokens.

• sammiefightersammiefighter Posts: 92 Arc User

Guardian Tokens don't net you a new power. That is Villain Tokens.

Edits to be more specific, must be carefull with the nesting doll token shceme!

• guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    chaelk said:

guyhumual wrote: »

se if they can create a special position Announcer, you acall out the battles for everyone across all the maps. That way everybody knows whats going on.

you can get paid in tokens.​​
    I like the way you think @chaelk

spinnytop said:

My interest in the game is waning, and things like new powers renew my interest. It's a bit of a conflict for me.
    I'm not angry or upset, just kinda bummed.
    Don't fight it. When I stop being interested in a game I just stop playing it. Why don't you do that?