test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Suggestion for FreeForm's Diminishing Returns

rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
edited September 2015 in Suggestions Box
Was wondering what you'd think about this, to not only help specializing for Freeforms but perhaps even encourage diversity along with any sense of Balancing in future(Or at all), what if the Super Stats worked more on a curve then being throttled at low numbers with a softcap, instead give Full benefits for all super stats up until ~150-200pts, taper off and hit a soft cap about 300-400pts instead, that way if you want to do damage with Melee, Go Strength (And Hit like an AT) Ego for Ranged (Hit like an AT) Presence for heals/CC (Like an AT?)

Cause why would you do less damage if you build a AT Theme Build compared to a AT, makes no sense, why not have the same potential?
Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
Post edited by rtma on

Comments

• Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Well, it would encourage more "Mario" builds, rather than focused ones. In other words, this suggestion would allow players with four slot gear, Vigilante gear to hit the soft cap in super stats easily, then build up points in other stats with gear/talents.

That means even more toons could accomplish the high offense, high defense, good healing combo. Not sure if that would increase build diversity.

It would make the game even easier, since, as Gradii points out, enemies are statted for pre-Alert heroes.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    If you want to make it more specialized then the curve would need to be inverted...

Lower values give less per point while higher values give more...

so like... 1-70 points would give half the current value for 1-70... 70-140 would give the current value for 1-70, and 140-210 would give 1.5x, and 210+ would give double...

So... lets say that you had 300 Str, and (for ease of math) the 1-70 value was +0.5 damage per point... at 300 you'd have 35+70+105+180=+390 damage as opposed to say +185 (70+((300-70)0.5)) with the current curve.

People who invest in a certain skill will get a high return from it, and no one can just soft-cap for the "optimal bonus"
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    There's already a diminishing return built into the superstat bonuses; just apply it to energy unlocks, forms, and passives. The historical value is 60% * stat / (stat + X), where X is 200 at level 4, and works out to 15% at 67 stat, 20% at 100 stat, 25% at 141, 30% at 200, 35% at 280, 40% at 400, 45% at 600, 50% at 1,000.
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    From a technical standpoint if this was implemented, you could take AoPM to boost your SS to about 150ish then set up your gear to boost three more stats to the 150ish mark and instead of being a mediocre mess of a build....you would actually be as effective as the speclised builds currently are but with 6 stats instead of three....while that might not sound like a bad thing on paper, it won't be too long before somebody abuses it to make a unstoppable, unforgivable monster.

well that and the fact that they would need to update the mobs if they did this so they actually posed a threat to every non-AT, non-squishy out there, inorder to accommodate for the increase in power in free-forms that this would bring about.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?