Install Arc
Options

Lets Talk About the Level to 30 Item

13»

Comments

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Positive
    Actually, it's all of the above! They're redoing the tutorial from the ground up, and at the end you get a brand new Russian Nesting Doll lockbox, which you need five keys to open, and inside is the promise of a new costume set, but all anyone ever gets out of it is a new Booster Box which only drops an MCPD Recognition booster, and then it shoves you into a ten minute alert where you don't fight anything, but instead you sit around and talk about how nothing new will ever come out and if it does, you know it sucks before you even know what it is!

So fun!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    This doesn't make sense, because...
    I am just puzzled at the choice of level 30.

I would have gone with 15 at a very low price (to avoid West Side) or level 35, to open up Rampages and the second travel power.

Level 30 is just the wrong level, price aside.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    as a repeat offender on the alt-aholics list. two accounts.
    I'm not getting it.
    I can get nemesis gear ingame easily. I have 3 characters, that every so often, I do their nemesis missions and get more gear.
    I have over 5 sets of Nemesis gear now. I have a horrible feeling its a lot more but that would involve logging in to all my current in transit characters to check.
    For new people, who have just finished leveling one character and want to try something else,without having to go through missions or alert spamming, it will probably be of interest.

Limited time
    1. impulse buyers.
    2. traders getting a store in to sell when it's not available
    3. checking how well it sells before deciding when and how long the next limited time will be for it. eg. just before or during a dbl xp event.
    4. so people will use it and some will like it and say how great it is. Then when they have the next limited time, others who will have heard them will buy it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Posts: 182 Cryptic Developer
    The inclusion of Heirloom gear was mainly so player who didn't have Heirloom gear already would be able to put on level equivalent gear right away until they could replace it later with better gear.

Like I said, we're testing it out. Depending how it goes we may bring it back at a later time with some tweaks based on feedback.
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    At this point in time, even if I had the impulse to buy it, I wouldn't, because of the price.
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    The inclusion of Heirloom gear was mainly so player who didn't have Heirloom gear already would be able to put on level equivalent gear right away until they could replace it later with better gear.

Like I said, we're testing it out. Depending how it goes we may bring it back at a later time with some tweaks based on feedback.

level appropriate gear gets done at 40 because most of the mission rewards are odd combinations of stats or just plain rubbish.You also tend to out level it fast.
    otherwise it's use the 11k Questionite levelling gear, which coems with bonuses to defence or damage.
    also at 30 there's usually a fair collection of stuff in the AH.

How about making the mercenary gear in the Q store scale to level, change the name and sell that with the other levelling gear because quite frankly , its the worst level 40 gear and you can get it as leftovers from lockboxes. So why fork out a large amount of Q for it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    Lvl 30 gear is a dime a dozen due to it being the ONLY gear dropped from alerts... Many people have a full set of Lvl 30 gear by the time they hit Lvl 20 by running XP alerts (granted it's usually for the wrong stats...)
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    Positive
    For me it's the convenience of not even having to look at gear while leveling up when wearing Heirloom Gear because it'll scale to your level. I'd rather have Heirlooms at 30 than buy or upgrade to new gear for ten levels.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Hey folks,

This is just another thing we're trying to see if there's interest from the players. It's really intended for players with alts that want to bypass lower-level content to get to higher-level content they don't see as often. Simple as that.

Thanks for your feedback!

Get your results, then sell it at 500 Zen and see how many purchases are made then. You'll quickly find out that you'll make more money overall by setting it at a price where people will want to buy into it multiple times. Basically 100 people buying at $20 is $2000 income versus 1000 people buying at $5 is $5000. Maybe more than one purchase since they see its relatively cheap and is about the price of a character slot at a discount.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    In my opinion $10/1000 would be a reasonable price and be about right for what players are getting for their money.
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Positive
    The 2000z is based on other items in the game.
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Positive
    If an 8 pack of 20% XP boosts is 975z, then how much could an "instant to 30" pack be without killing the sales of the existing item? The answer is probably 2000z....
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    MrDestructoid.pngFazizzle
    And why anyone bother to spend 975Zen for XP boost Pack, when you get dozens of those for few Globals.
    normal-28.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Well 90% of store prices are stupid. The percent was less years ago but they keep adding new things with crazy prices based on other items.
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    If an 8 pack of 20% XP boosts is 975z, then how much could an "instant to 30" pack be without killing the sales of the existing item? The answer is probably 2000z....

Yeah, I don't buy those, either.
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I don't see why CO's focus isn't on the customization. No one wants to be Defender when they could be Batman. The comic book aspect isn't a selling point with CO because the heroes are a bunch of nobodies.

Look awesome. Have awesome powers. Make your own nemesis. Trying to make money is nice and all, but more people actually playing the game means more people spending money. And how about having some focus for the game? Seems like a lot of shooting in the dark, trying random stuff. Don't we have enough half-finished stuff in the game?
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Positive
    sterga wrote: »
    I don't see why CO's focus isn't on the customization. No one wants to be Defender when they could be Batman. The comic book aspect isn't a selling point with CO because the heroes are a bunch of nobodies.

A lot of people who have been playing the PnP game since the 1980s might disagree with that statement.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    nepht wrote: »
    A lot of people who have been playing the PnP game since the 1980s might disagree with that statement.

I bet you were all to eager to penetrate skulls when you heard about the Champs MMO. That doesn't mean the Champions are well known by most people.
  • Options
    Positive
    I know I'd never heard of it before this game, and I've played my fair share of nerd games at the same times that I was reading superhero comics.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Positive
    Compared to the "unlock completed <insert campaign here>" items in NW which are 5000 Zen each, 2000 Zen is probably close to what I expected for the instant level 30 item here.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2015
    PnP games are niche per definition.

Hero System is not the most popular mechanics ever.

In terms of popularity it will fall behind d20, White Wolf games, or even GURPS.

I'm sure it beats a lot of even more niche PnP games, and it may be even "a lot of" when compared to them, but it's a fringe factor in terms of marketing a video game.

I know I've learned about GURPS and Chaosium Basic long time ago (and none of these two is as popular as is DnD, neither is a new system) but I never heard about Hero before trying CO. I knew about Silver Age Sentinels when it was still published, but Hero System? Nope.​​
  • Options
    Positive
    In terms of popularity it will fall behind d20, White Wolf games, or even GURPS.​

Yeah, I'd heard of these when I was into RPGs. To me back then D&D was king and wouldn't even try most games, though I did play White Wolf games and saw plenty of other RPGs at the stores I'd visit. I don't ever recall seeing Champions or Hero Games
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    Well, for what it's worth I played in my first Champions P&P tabletop game in like 1983, and I'm down in Texas. It was a bit of a rinky-dink little all paperback product then, but then again, so was pretty much every other RPG on the miniscule RPG market back then that wasn't AD&D.

When the Big Blue Book came out [Champions 4th ed.] in 1989, I was all in whole hog, it became my game system of choice for pretty much everything but fantasy. For that I had Earth*Dawn. I continued to run most all my Super hero and modern games using Champions and the Hero System for over a decade afterward.

I can still imagine and rattle off various powers and attributes in Hero System terms.

As an example, sometimes I take Stun damage equal to my constitution just from reading this forum. It must have been 'No Normal Defense' damage.

And yes, there have been versions of Defender [the aforementioned 4th edition version in fact] that I'd rather RP as if necessary than Batman.
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    I loved the Silver Age Sentinels RPG so much, I named my Guild / Super group after it, and patterned our RP themes from it's forward.
  • Options
    Positive
    I bet you were all to eager to penetrate skulls when you heard about the Champs MMO. That doesn't mean the Champions are well known by most people.

But its known by the people its aimed at. People that played the PnP. And most CoH players knew Champions PnP inspired Crypyic to make CoH.

But then Cryptic gone and went and made a Dungeons and Dragons game....I am disappoint -_-
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    But its known by the people its aimed at. People that played the PnP. And most CoH players knew Champions PnP inspired Crypyic to make CoH.

That's nice and all, but f2p mmos actually need players to pay the bills. Changing the focus to customization doesn't mean removing the Champs aspect, it just means improving those parts of the game first for the people who love going wild with their characters. I'm not a comic book person, but here I am. That paper doll maker is pretty nice. So is being able to make a toon with all sorts of crazy powers. People sick of fantasy trinity games would probably like what CO has.
  • Options
    Positive

That's nice and all, but f2p mmos actually need players to pay the bills. Changing the focus to customization doesn't mean removing the Champs aspect, it just means improving those parts of the game first for the people who love going wild with their characters. I'm not a comic book person, but here I am. That paper doll maker is pretty nice. So is being able to make a toon with all sorts of crazy powers. People sick of fantasy trinity games would probably like what CO has.

Oh I didnt disagree with 90% of your thinking, just the bit that was frowney face at the PnP game ^.^

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Positive
    For what it is worth, I'll say my lil bit here (can't remember if I commented here or not before)...

I bought the device just to see what happens on a new character, whether it glitches etc and whilst it is quite nice it could do with a few changes:

- The game needs to register your new level a lot quicker, currently it doesn't register that you are level 30 until you change instances or hop into an alert.
    - Nemesis email needs to happen a lot sooner too
    - Also the gear isn't that good compared to Nemesis Heirloom Gear but I guess that's a benefit of actually playing the game and making a nemesis.

Basically, I think it's a nice addition but from another point of view I see the "This doesn't make sense because..." argument, because there hasn't been any additions to CO yet, however I think we may see some, which might make that item of levelling to 30 much more interesting and used.

Who knows?
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    Negative
    Too much, and not in the right direction.

There is nothing in this game worth $20. Not with how many powers are broken, and how many power sets we're not getting. I don't want to come off as a broken record, but this game is getting passed around between Cryptic teams, and there really isn't a whole lot going on that couldn't be surpassed with a foundry system. I don't want to diminish what has been done, but again, we're not getting the things that a super hero game needs to thrive. Making an item that instantly levels you seems like a last ditch effort at attention rather than making headway or building to something new.

Vehicles are a joke, much like their pricing
    too many things are broken
    too many things are boxlocked
    nothing is being done to enhance or improve what we do have:
    A) Nemesis system
    B) Vehicles
    C) Hide outs
    D) Zones (Lemuria and the Desert get no love)

Why sell an item to speed people to endgame, when there really is no endgame?

I have the stippend to buy this, and I still won't buy it. Even "free", the $20 is just way too high a price for anything in this game, considering how little is being put towards this game.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    Positive
    It's not solely about rushing to endgame. It's also a paid-for option for an alter wanting to get a new toon up to 30 and enjoy wider build possibilities quicker without having to slog through repeated early to mid content. I can see it being more relevant to someone caring about that aspect of it as opposed to a lack of endgame content.

• Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    Negative
    jennymachx wrote: »
    It's not solely about rushing to endgame. It's also a paid-for option for an alter wanting to get a new toon up to 30 and enjoy wider build possibilities quicker without having to slog through repeated early to mid content. I can see it being more relevant to someone caring about that aspect of it as opposed to a lack of endgame content.

but how many alt makers out there are going to be dropping $20 each time? Or God forbid they don't like the character after all, then it's $20 down the drain, or even more money to rework other aspects, like names, builds, or AT's if they're free to pay.

They would sell a lot more of these if they were $5 each. Well more than enough to justify the price drop.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2015
    I doubt if too many alt makers will be rushing to this item anyway.

Anyone with a stable of alts has leveling them already figured out. Time to 30 will be no time at all, at least not a chore enough to rush it by paying a $20.

And usually leveling is a good test bed to adjust some things and get used to powers you weren't using that often.

Anyone with alts has also enough Nemesis gear to fit more than one toon.​​
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Positive
    but how many alt makers out there are going to be dropping $20 each time? Or God forbid they don't like the character after all, then it's $20 down the drain, or even more money to rework other aspects, like names, builds, or AT's if they're free to pay.

They would sell a lot more of these if they were $5 each. Well more than enough to justify the price drop.

Um, no. If the player one day decides that they don't like the character, the options to retcon and rename are still available. It isn't $20 down the drain since the player still has benefitted from the instant 30 and it isn't mandatory to delete the character because of the preference change. They still get to keep that level 30 or higher toon.
    I doubt if too many alt makers will be rushing to this item anyway.

Anyone with a stable of alts has leveling them already figured out. Time to 30 will be no time at all, at least not a chore enough to rush it by paying a $20.

And usually leveling is a good test bed to adjust some things and get used to powers you weren't using that often.

Anyone with alts has also enough Nemesis gear to fit more than one toon.​​

YMMV.

Getting to level 30 from 6 still takes significant time and grinding even with vanguard heirloom gear and XP boosts, even more so with people who don't get to spend every day just playing the game.
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    Um, no. If the player one day decides that they don't like the character, the options to retcon and rename are still available. It isn't $20 down the drain since the player still has benefitted from the instant 30 and it isn't mandatory to delete the character because of the preference change. They still get to keep that level 30 or higher toon.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't see a problem with the $20 price tag... sure I'd prefer cheaper but $20 isn't entirely unreasonable.
    YMMV.

Getting to level 30 from 6 still takes significant time and grinding even with vanguard heirloom gear and XP boosts, even more so with people who don't get to spend every day just playing the game.
    Indeed... I've got like 42 characters now, 30 of which range from levels 20-28, the rest are level 40... I usually don't get more than 3 levels a day on a single character between levels 12~20, from 20~26 that drops down to 1 or 2 levels per day... and then from 28+ I rarely get a level per day unless it's a double XP weekend or i'm loaded up on XP boosts.

Depite how many characters I have, I only have 1 piece of Nem gear, and don't have enough Q to outfit everyone with Q-store leveling gear... If instant level 30s are added to the C-store as a permanent item then I can assure you I'd likely buy one every so often to skip ahead on some more challanging builds.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    Positive

But then Cryptic gone and went and made a Dungeons and Dragons game....I am disappoint -_-

I'm not. It's quite the feather in their cap that they're the ones that the DnD people came to. Star Trek as well.