ARC Defender problem?

Every time I sign in to the forums I'm asked to provide a PIN that is emailed to me from ARC. Doesn't matter if I was here a few hours ago or yesterday, it still asks me for that PIN. It's starting to get REAL annoying. Anyone know if this is a bug or just the ARC website being screwy? I'm the only person with access to this account and I've checked my computer for malicious software and I use the same browser to access the internet (Firefox).

Comments

• tfcz
    tfcz Posts: 20
    Yeah, I've been getting an unusually high amount of Arc Defender popups too.
    This is a new account I had to create, because the old one does not work with the new forums. :/
  • josan369
    josan369 Posts: 114 Arc User
    I didn't have this issue on the old STO Forums, so I'm wondering if it has to do with the Migration to Vanilla and it's horrible layout.
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Do you have cookies disabled? From what I can determine, Arc Defender uses a cookie to store an authentication token. I've also found that it uses the same cookie for different accounts, so every time you log in to a different account on the same browser, it will ask you to enter a new PIN that it sends you via email. You can avoid this by using different browsers (e.g., Firefox and IE) for different accounts. Using different user profiles on the same browser may also work, but I haven't tested that.
  • tfcz
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I've also found that it uses the same cookie for different accounts, so every time you log in to a different account on the same browser, it will ask you to enter a new PIN that it sends you via email.
    That might actually explain it. I've been doing a lot of account-switching lately to check, if my main account is working again.
    This is a new account I had to create, because the old one does not work with the new forums. :/
  • I think the explanation for the change is obvious. The previous forum required payment, Vanilla is free.
  • tfcz
    I think the explanation for the change is obvious. The previous forum required payment, Vanilla is free.
    I am pretty sure PWE has to pay for the hosting of the new forums as well.
  • tfcz wrote: »
    I think the explanation for the change is obvious. The previous forum required payment, Vanilla is free.
    I am pretty sure PWE has to pay for the hosting of the new forums as well.

Understandable, but the old forum software had a licensing fee, Not talking about the hosting.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    Vanilla is not free.

In fact, odds are they're paying more for it than they did with vB... which is likely going to be part of why it's here to stay as they have to justify their investment.
    (Insert fancy image here)

Categories