Old links not redirecting properly

frtoaster
frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
Old links are redirecting to Trendy's forum migration announcement instead of the correct thread or post.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/arc-news/detail/9222813

For example, the link in the quote below should redirect to the following URL:

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190394/errors-in-the-artwork-of-floaters-after-the-patch-on-june-11-2015
frtoaster wrote: »
I think you guys should take another look at floaters. A lot of things still don't look right. Some of the changes introduced by the patch on June 11, 2015, are clearly errors.

Holodeck ticket #3,495,206: Errors in the artwork of floaters after the patch on June 11, 2015

Instead, it redirects to Trendy's announcement.

Here is another example. The link that I provided in the quote below also redirects to Trendy's announcement. However, the automatically generated link in the quote to adjudicatorhawk's post gives a 404 Not Found.
For reference, here is the post by adjudicatorhawk:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17883491&postcount=41
My assumption for pricing is not that you will get a specific set of mods, but rather that you will get at least some number of mods that you care about. The chance of a specific combination of mods is .25*.25*.1, which is of course very very low. The chance of "usable set of mods" is much better, at something like .75*.5*.4 for a "reasonably choicey" player - they have at least one specific mod they want (e.g. Acc), one mod they will accept one of two mods on (either Acc or CritH), and the "special crafting mod slot" where they'll accept Acc, CritH, or maybe Pen or Thrust, for example.

The new crafting modifiers can only appear once per weapon, and Acc/CritH/CritD/Dmg can all also appear in the same pool of mods.

He does indeed say that the probability of getting a specific combination of three modifiers is 1/160. However, I wouldn't interpret that statement literally. Let p denote the probability of getting a purple weapon. My guess is that the actual probabilities are

Pr([CrtD]x3) = (1/160)*p
Pr([CrtD]x2 [Dmg]) = (3/160)*p
Pr([Acc] [CrtD] [Dmg]) = (6/160)*p
Pr([CrtD]x2 [Over]) = (1/160)*p
Pr([CrtD] [Dmg] [Over]) = (2/160)*p

Links to Cryptic's old STO forums (from before the 2012 forum migration) also redirect to Trendy's announcement.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=211231
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=234483

Comments

• frtoaster
    edited June 2015
    I think I've figured out what's happening with the quote to adjudicatorhawk's post. The old and new post IDs are completely different. Quotes from before the forum migration still contain the old post IDs, but Vanilla is treating them like new post IDs. This particular example gives a 404 Not Found, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are quotes with links that go to completely unrelated posts.

EDIT: Here's the correct link to adjudicatorhawk's post:

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/11948061/#Comment_11948061
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    Yeah, they warned that a lot of the links would have to be updated after the migration, simply because the systems are so different. It would have taken a lot longer for them to have set the migration process to also identify and correct any linkage issues, so it's much easier to just have the users themselves fix the problems.

It also alleviates the need to fix the links in old, dead threads...

While it's not ideal, it's the better of the two solutions.
  • frtoaster
    krittycat wrote: »
    Yeah, they warned that a lot of the links would have to be updated after the migration, simply because the systems are so different. It would have taken a lot longer for them to have set the migration process to also identify and correct any linkage issues, so it's much easier to just have the users themselves fix the problems.

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised given how the 2012 forum migration was handled. But I also think they decided to take the easy way out rather than do a proper job.
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User
    krittycat wrote: »

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised given how the 2012 forum migration was handled. But I also think they decided to take the easy way out rather than do a proper job.

Everyone complained and griped that the forums were down for 3 days... How long would they have been down if they had to force the links to work.... even if it was possible... a week, week and a half?

it's also possible that when they set up the sto-forum.blahblah sub-domain to redirect its affecting all the old links...

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    primar13 wrote: »
    [Everyone complained and griped that the forums were down for 3 days... How long would they have been down if they had to force the links to work.... even if it was possible... a week, week and a half?

it's also possible that when they set up the sto-forum.blahblah sub-domain to redirect its affecting all the old links...

That's actually exactly what happened, but not in the way you're thinking... Setting the forum to redirect didn't break the links directly, but the fact that the older forums that those links actually apply to are redirecting broke the links. It's a bit of semantics, but it's the truth.
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User
    I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future all the old game Subdomains... sto-forum... and the others just get redirected to the new forums home page.

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • frtoaster
    primar13 wrote: »
    Everyone complained and griped that the forums were down for 3 days... How long would they have been down if they had to force the links to work.... even if it was possible... a week, week and a half?

My feeling is that the problem is not how long it would take the process to complete once it started, but how much it would have cost to pay someone to write the code before the forum migration started. I suspect that the forums were outsourced to Vanilla Forums in order to reduce their IT costs in the first place. But this is really getting off-topic. If they said that they're not going to fix it, then they're not going to fix it, and nothing we say will make a difference.

Categories