test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Tholian Thread(t)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Nice little write up in the October 1st ask Cryptic. Already Fans are bringing up canon Tholian issues and the things being said looks promising.

The one thing that always interested me was the Tholian Web. The scout ships were unique and tough. Capable of being defeated, but when joined with another, they start to produce a web to encapsulate another ship until they are able to get together in force to capture or destroy the enemy ship.

A nice battle would be where your ship is disabled so the Tholians can ensnare your ship and then gather for bombardment or invasion.

Much like a spider (and with the legs) they will wrap a ship in a snare to take them out at their leisure.

Do you think Cryptic will set up a series of weekly episodes for the Tholians based on their ships and possibly an attack on your bridge as seen in the artists concept art? Or do you think it will involve beaming down to a planet to fight with them much like the Deferi episodes?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    hmmm the tholians ... wonder how their dealing with the undine threat

we'll most likely get the weeklys... then depending how they go... a bunch of UGC with them.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Science Officer:
    "Captain, the Tholians have disabled our ship's engines and they are starting to build a web.
    However while they're creating the web, their shields in the aft section are weak.
    We could beam over there and disable the Webbing System"
    Captain:
    "Okay people, suit up it's awfully hot over there so get an extra pack of cooling units for our space suits.
    We'll channel Aux Power to the transporters to punch through their shields, take out that Webcaster and
    disable their shield generators just long enough to beam us back.
    Hopefully our reinforcements arrive before the Tholians can repair their Webcaster, let's go."

Why fight the Tholians on your ship, or on some planet?
    Why not fight them on their ship?
    I'd love to take a look inside a ship that has an internal temperature of a coulpe hundred degrees
    (remember the blurry effect from "Enterprise"?) and is equipped with control panels made for Crystalline lifeforms.
    Would be some real fun.:D
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    hmmm the tholians ... wonder how their dealing with the undine threat

we'll most likely get the weeklys... then depending how they go... a bunch of UGC with them.

The UGC is so vague right now. We have no idea to what extend it will be or what it entails.

I will pretty much just guess, it will be similar to following instructions from a cookbook and taste testing every ingredient.

To sum it up, when you construct your own game, by the time you get to the end, you already know what it involves, who is involved, know the parameters of the Player and NPC, how they interact, yadayada. No surprises except for the people that did not construct it. As the cook, you are pretty much full of your dish, and really are not excited about it anymore. Not to say that your guests will not be pleased though.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I assume it will be a weekly series involving both ground and space combat. Whether a battle could be on your ship will depend on whether or not Cryptic has that function available when the Tholian episodes begin. I'm assuming we're looking several months down the road here. The only thing I would hope is that we don't get MU/TE Tholians. I enjoyed the Enterprise 2-parter but I'd rather not complicate things by throwing the MU/TE into this too.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mister_dee wrote:
    Science Officer:
    "Captain, the Tholians have disabled our ship's engines and they are starting to build a web.
    However while they're creating the web, their shields in the aft section are weak.
    Captain:
    "Okay people, suit up it's awfully hot over there so get an extra pack of cooling units for our space suits.
    We'll channel Aux Power to the transporters to punch through their shields, take out that Webcaster and
    Hopefully our reinforcements arrive before the Tholians can repair their Webcaster, let's go."

I'd love to take a look inside a ship that has an internal temperature of a coulpe hundred degrees
    (remember the blurry effect from "Enterprise"?) and is equipped with control panels made for Crystalline lifeforms.

Nice. That is a wonderful suggestion. We are about 258 years past "Enterprise". I wonder what new technologies they have since "Enterprise & TOS"?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm interested in seeing how Cryptic will handle ground combat with the Tholians, since their native living conditions would melt lead and any temperature colder than that would make their bodies shatter.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    reminds me... just watched the enterprise episode "futures tense" .. the tholians in that episode were cutting through the docking port doors... so.. either they were wearing suits... planning on flooding enterprise with hot... stuff... or forgot about the enviroment differences.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mister_dee wrote:
    Science Officer:
    Captain:

Yeah. I'm going to assume since EV suits are being worked on that we're going to be fighting the Tholians either on their ships or on their hot planet.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That must be how they annex planets. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Ensnaring Planets. Hmmm great way to capture and enslave an entire species/civilization.

Already not liking these guys.

Memory Alpha Wiki:

"The Tholians join the Typhon Pact (β), an alliance of non-Federation powers, in the novel A Singular Destiny, set in 2381. "
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tribbler wrote: »
    Ensnaring Planets. Hmmm great way to capture and enslave an entire species/civilization.

Already not liking these guys.

Memory Alpha Wiki:

"The Tholians join the Typhon Pact (β), an alliance of non-Federation powers, in the novel A Singular Destiny, set in 2381. "

meh destiny = failure
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Memory Alpha Wiki:

Of course that would be soft canon and neither Cryptic nor CBS needs to follow that.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    Of course that would be soft canon and neither Cryptic nor CBS needs to follow that.

Yes but, they have been a very bad race towards peaceful relationships with the Federation and would team up with others to provide safety to their own territory.

Sounds reasonable that they would form this treaty and that Cryptic would use it. Unless of course they side with the Federation and the entry of the Tholians is to make the Klingons more miserable than they already are. Which is music to this Tribbles ears.

"Oh the sound of Klingons wailing for their mommies at night is our top selling soundtrack, even better with surround sound". ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As I understand it the timelines of STO and the recent novels diverge before that, therefore it is not only soft-canon, it goes against STO's own storyline.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yes but, they have been a very bad race towards peaceful relationships with the Federation and would team up with others to provide safety to their own territory.
    I see them as more xenophobic: not wanting to deal with any other races at all. I don't even think they like to send out Ambassadors but they're forced to so they can keep the Federation, Klingons, and Romulan empires at bay and away from their territory.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mister_dee wrote:
    As I understand it the timelines of STO and the recent novels diverge before that, therefore it is not only soft-canon, it goes against STO's own storyline.

What storyline does the Tholians have in Cryptic thus far?

I don't know of any. But I do know they are threatened in the Alpha Quadrant as is everyone. Allthough have yet to see a Tholian Borg?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I see them as more xenophobic: not wanting to deal with any other races at all. I don't even think they like to send out Ambassadors but they're forced to so they can keep the Federation, Klingons, and Romulan empires at bay and away from their territory.

I agree, but in the wiki it does say they are territorial and in the past, they have hafd ambassadors, so as a race, this is likely correct, but as their government, I would say, they realize that unions should be formed to preserve their borders.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wrote:
    I agree, but in the wiki it does say they are territorial and in the past, they have hafd ambassadors, so as a race, this is likely correct, but as their government, I would say, they realize that unions should be formed to preserve their borders.
    Xenophobic means they don't care to ally with anyone. I see the Ambassadors as a necessary evil. They're send out Ambassadors to keep those they don't like away via talk rather then warfare. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What storyline does the Tholians have in Cryptic thus far?

I don't know of any. But I do know they are threatened in the Alpha Quadrant as is everyone. Allthough have yet to see a Tholian Borg?

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Typhon_Pact

"The Typhon Pact was an alliance of six interstellar states formed in the wake of the Borg Invasion of 2381 as an opposing force to the United Federation of Planets and its allies."

That Borg invasion did not occur in the STO timeline.
    The STO novel "The needs of the Many" clearly establishes that the timelines diverge before that.
    Hence no Typhoon pact.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mister_dee wrote:
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Typhon_Pact

"The Typhon Pact was an alliance of six interstellar states formed in the wake of the Borg Invasion of 2381 as an opposing force to the United Federation of Planets and its allies."

That Borg invasion did not occur in the STO timeline.
    The STO novel "The needs of the Many" clearly establishes that the timelines diverge before that.
    Hence no Typhoon pact.

Not to argue with your reasoning, but here is another reason you may have overlooked.

Timelines that diverge are not opposite of the original timeline. A divergence is just another road that leaves from the divergence point with suttle differences.

There can be billions of roads leaving a divergence point, each with minor differences and some are not noticeable for years past the divergence point, for instance.

Main timeline- you have a son that eventually discovers a way to stop the war with the Klingons.

Divergence point- you have a son that is killed a day before his discovery and peace is not created.

IDIC if I ever saw it. You know for a race that never believed in time travel and alternate realities, their motto sure hits the nail on the head. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The game already has too many groups of foes. We have the Klingon alliances, at least 2 Romulan factions, the True Way, and the Terran Empire. There's nothing wrong with the Tholians just wanting to be the Tholains, IMO. Heck, compared to all the groupings in the game it's even refreshing to see a species not needing to be allied with others, IMO.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The game already has too many groups of foes. We have the Klingon alliances, at least 2 Romulan factions, the True Way, and the Terran Empire. There's nothing wrong with the Tholians just wanting to be the Tholains, IMO. Heck, compared to all the groupings in the game it's even refreshing to see a species not needing to be allied with others, IMO.

heh and none of them want to work together... the spoon heads tryed to work with the terran empire... but well... the alien thing sorta prevented that from happening...

If the Tholians sided with someone.... hmmmmm... either the terran empire... so the empire and come and go between universes... or who else we got.... the Tar monster?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    heh and none of them want to work together... the spoon heads tryed to work with the terran empire... but well... the alien thing sorta prevented that from happening...

If the Tholians sided with someone.... hmmmmm... either the terran empire... so the empire and come and go between universes... or who else we got.... the Tar monster?

Breen, perhaps?
    The frosties and the molties, both xenophobic and both seem to think the galaxy belongs to them, just that nobody else noticed that seems to annoy them...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What storyline do the Tholians have in Cryptic thus far? I don't know of any.

Indeed, this has always been the great appeal of the Tholians for me. It's part of the reason that they're my all-time favorite Star Trek species. What storyline do they have in the Star Trek universe thus far?

The Tholians are strange and scary and, ultimately, downright obscure. The mystique that surrounds them is only heightened by the fact that they've had so few appearances in canon Trek. We've only seen fleeting glimpses, and what we have seen of them is wild enough to leave our imaginations reeling. Given what we know of their biology, can you imagine what the interior of a Tholian ship might look like? Can you imagine the cities on the Tholian homeworld?!

There are endless possibilities with the Tholians, possibilities to enhance the way both characters and missions are modeled in Star Trek Online. I only hope that the development team thinks well outside the box with this species and that they think big. The Tholians are exotic and extreme, in every sense. Here's hoping they'll bring a sense of that to an upcoming mission series!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dixonium wrote: »
    Indeed, this has always been the great appeal of the Tholians for me. It's part of the reason that they're my all-time favorite Star Trek species. What storyline do they have in the Star Trek universe thus far?

The Tholians are strange and scary and, ultimately, downright obscure. The mystique that surrounds them is only heightened by the fact that they've had so few appearances in canon Trek. We've only seen fleeting glimpses, and what we have seen of them is wild enough to leave our imaginations reeling. Given what we know of their biology, can you imagine what the interior of a Tholian ship might look like? Can you imagine the cities on the Tholian homeworld?!

There are endless possibilities with the Tholians, possibilities to enhance the way both characters and missions are modeled in Star Trek Online. I only hope that the development team thinks well outside the box with this species and that they think big. The Tholians are exotic and extreme, in every sense. Here's hoping they'll bring a sense of that to an upcoming mission series!

Agreed! If Cryptic thinks of something good, I hope CBS does not stand in their way.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Some interesting points in this thread. We agree with the sentiments that not much is known about the Tholians and we are very excited to expand on this awesomely mysterious specious.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    Some interesting points in this thread. We agree with the sentiments that not much is known about the Tholians and we are very excited to expand on this awesomely mysterious specious.

We are excited too! Can't wait for you guys----going to make a Tholian MMO right now!!!!!

Tribbler's The Tholian Web!

What do you think?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dstahl wrote: »

Remember to look at the information developed through the Star Trek: Vanguard series of books.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    moonseye wrote: »
    Remember to look at the information developed through the Star Trek: Vanguard series of books.

I was about to mention that. There aren't many details, but it's a great series to use to get a 'feel' for the Tholians.