test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO has 1 million+ accounts acording to mmorpg.com

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Got a email from mmorpg.com (a huge web site that lists all MMORPG's out whats in beta ect.) anyways they sent me a email saying that STO has over 1mil+ subs now... So cryptic. you really need to get on it and add some end game content asap.

Im not the kind of person that races to max level (currently at commander 2 and been here since early release.) Im taking it slow in hopes that once I hit rear admiral im not going to be sitting around twiddling my thumbs because there is nothing to do. (and have little to no interest in pvp so thats not a option since klingons are pretty much pure pvp)

Also on alot of missions it says go to a system and dont tell you what sector its in.. I wouldn't complain if the collectors edition I bought had a map in it that told me where these places were. but nope i got a metal badge that no doubt was made in china and a bunch of art work in the little book well the book idea was nice but there was no maps included. So will ye fix the mission details and add what sector the missions are in? oh and get rid of the skill caps.. no reason for em since you cant fly 3 ships at once and use every weapon in the game at the same time.

Anyways thought id let the players know that STO has reached a million subs and give a little feedback get to work cryptic you could be the MMO that actually dents that other games population.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    1 Million plus subscribers??? I don't see it.... and why would MMORPG.com just up and email you that info???

I would have to see it to believe it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Im on there mailing list. get tons of emails from them. pretty much just info about well MMO's
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I read that site off and on. It's "one million registered accounts". This is marketing fluff. Just because you have accounts does not mean they are all paying accounts. For example, I have an account for AION but I don't subscribe.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    700k of those are chinese farmers spamming scan area to not be disconnected.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Then WHY IN GODS NAME can I NEVER find a team??? :confused: lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    seawulf wrote: »
    Then WHY IN GODS NAME can I NEVER find a team??? :confused: lol

Try a new perfume?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hivewasp wrote: »
    Try a new perfume?

Haha! Good stuff. Either way. I am sure that it will go up just wondering what will keep people here past admiral.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    naynayz wrote: »
    Haha! Good stuff. Either way. I am sure that it will go up just wondering what will keep people here past admiral.

At the moment, helping newbies has kept me entertained at Admiral level... so many questions, so little time. ;p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    1 Million plus subscribers??? I don't see it.... and why would MMORPG.com just up and email you that info???

http://www.massively.com/2010/02/07/star-trek-online-reaches-one-million-accounts/
    here u go
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hahaha...

THe 1 million accounts arent actual ingame retail subscriptions but forum subscriptions which include closed and open beta accounts which costs nothing and arent active post launch.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Suron wrote:
    hahaha...

THe 1 million accounts arent actual ingame retail subscriptions but forum subscriptions which include closed and open beta accounts which costs nothing and arent active post launch.

Does it even matter? People will take references from websites left and right just to prove a point... it's been done to say the game sucks; it's been done to say the game rocks... this constant fight between fans and haters is getting tiring. Why can't people just play the game if they like it; until they stop liking it. Or not play it and move onto something else if they dont like the game.

It's just ridiculous to try to win an argument over the internet about a game. There are more important things in the world that would need as much energy and passion...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Suron wrote:
    hahaha...

Where did you get that? I dont see it either in the article or the article that links to it.

IF true you do realize how sad this is right?
    This truely means that it no longer matters what state your game is in when it is released. You could release the most buggy unfinished POS game ever (battlecruiser millenium - generally this game is accepted to have this title) and still hit a million accounts as long as you have a strong IP to back you up
    This ISNT a good thing for the gaming industry as a whole imo
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    buddah7118 wrote:
    still hit a million accounts as long as you have a strong IP to back you up

Sometimes it's not the IP that will bring millions... just the company name. Blizzard has blind followers all over the world.

What's bad for the gaming industry... is that most people are too dumb or lazy to actually work through a steep learning curve; and want to have everything given to them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Guess what.

I even have an account with Black Prophecy, although the game hasn't beetn released yet.

So nobody knows, how many of the "1 million accounts" are actually playing.

And even there I guess there will be a sharp decline, because of the "quality" of this game, quickly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Suron wrote:
    hahaha...

you mean like the 15 billion accounts wow claims to have ?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The fact that there are server queues in the thousands proves that this game is more popular than cryptic expected. Maybe, just maybe, they'll release some quality end game content.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

They are counting every single sale of a game copy as a sub, even thought the first month is free with the game and doesnt really count. WE shall see what the churn rate is in a month. Three months for most accurate figures I reckon
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The fact that there are server queues in the thousands proves that this game is more popular than cryptic expected. Maybe, just maybe, they'll release some quality end game content.

so you're saying that the servers are built for around 998,000 players and its just the last 2000 that get queued? 2000 players is chicken scratch a mmo, if they cant build a game to support an extra 2k players then we're all in trouble. but anyway, i seriously doubt that they will even improve the capacity.. why you ask? there will be no queue in 3 weeks
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so you're saying that the servers are built for around 998,000 players and its just the last 2000 that get queued? 2000 players is chicken scratch a mmo, if they cant build a game to support an extra 2k players then we're all in trouble. but anyway, i seriously doubt that they will even improve the capacity.. why you ask? there will be no queue in 3 weeks

Mmmh you're aware that 1) humans sleep sometime; 2) when one side of the planet is playing; the other is probably asleep. 3) not all those account will even try to connect simultaneously

So even if there's one million accounts; ... only about half that amount would be playing. As for 2000 players being chicken scratch for a mmo; it's true if you consider a multi server environment. But here we have a single server environment; with apparently only one login server... so even if there are only 20 people in the game; you might still be blocked at the login queue because too many people are hammering it simultaneously.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If I estimate properly if there are 1 million subscribers who bought the game for about 50$ that would mean they made 50,000,000$ already, I guess they are done, they made there money. No need to fuel that hard earned money into a dying game at this point, imho. They can take there earnings and walk away happy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    1 million subscribers who bought the game for about 50$ that would mean they made 50,000,000$ already, I

Minus development costs; server infrastructure; CD printing; distribution; marketting; legal services; etc... they're nowhere near 50 millions.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hivewasp wrote: »
    Minus development costs; server infrastructure; CD printing; distribution; marketting; legal services; etc... they're nowhere near 50 millions.

I also didn't include lifetime subs, collector editions, deluxe editions, and there is no way this games development cost are anywhere near 10 million.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I also didn't include lifetime subs, collector editions, deluxe editions, and there is no way this games development cost are anywhere near 10 million.

Technically; why even make an MMO then? You can make a single player game; and don't have to worry about maintaining a server cluster; deal with angry customers; pay for bandwidth etc...

MMO's don't really make their benefit margin from the sales; but from the game's upkeep over time. There are a few exceptions though, Guildwars, and free mmo's.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Actually, it's 15 million before marketing and they've been buying TV spots on Sci-Fi.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also, retailers get a huge chunk of box sales as I understand it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The whole release screams Tabula Rasa.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sal-p wrote:
    The whole release screams Tabula Rasa.

Err ... no. Tabula Rasa was a scam from NC Soft vs Garriot ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That figure is incorrect. Many people are cancelling their games and handing them back, like myself so the number is far less. Also since there is no death penalty in a month that number will have died down to a fraction.

All the people who spoke up against death penalties without a proper reason, which would encompass all of you, remember this one month from now when your game is dead. Have fun!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's one million forum subscribers. Not game subscribers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    buddah7118 wrote:
    Where did you get that? I dont see it either in the article or the article that links to it.

IF true you do realize how sad this is right?
    This truely means that it no longer matters what state your game is in when it is released. You could release the most buggy unfinished POS game ever (battlecruiser millenium - generally this game is accepted to have this title) and still hit a million accounts as long as you have a strong IP to back you up

Del-Taco cups count as subscriptions. It's right on your account page. This is all just marketing spin.
This discussion has been closed.