What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unexpected Downtime (January 23, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Things were simpler with UO...we had no frame of reference on downtimes. We just thought the gods had gotten angry or somesuch...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PGrimm wrote: »
    well least this topic slowed down some in the last few minutes maybe servers are up?

Sorry... nope.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to enjoy the launch for however long it's up and running and plan to maintain that positive attitude throughout the month that came with the boxed version... hopefully by the time that is done and my year sub starts being used up it will be smoother but I'm going to contentedly allow the growing pains of a new MMO because when I do play I am having a ball.

im feeeling another champions online launch coming on.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Insidias wrote: »
    I one good thing about the down times is has giving me the time to watch the Star Trek movies again. So far I've watched:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

And currently watching:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

:p:p:p:p

OMG!!! Tell me you didn't really watch ST V! And you survived the experience?? Nah, you must be lying. Noone comes out of that without being........changed. Only thing worse than that was to have watched Voyager, or that complete pile of steaming TRIBBLE, Enterprise. TRUE trek fans would never have sunken so low to have watched either of those for longer than it took to realize they were utter garbage.

Rick Berman = greatest plauge to befall the legend of Trekdom.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    esarphie wrote: »
    Please, don't bring up Serenity... you'll make us all melancholy and stuff. Firefly made me wish I were 7 different Nielson families so I could skew the ratings...

Oh so true.... I really miss that series.. saw the movie and it only made me sad, because I knew there would be no more...

Was watching a TV ad for some cellphone and saw a Serenity crew member as a bit actor... bummer :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to enjoy the launch for however long it's up and running and plan to maintain that positive attitude throughout the month that came with the boxed version... hopefully by the time that is done and my year sub starts being used up it will be smoother but I'm going to contentedly allow the growing pains of a new MMO because when I do play I am having a ball.

Agreed. Got a lifetime subscription.

As rough as it is right now, they seem to be focused on making it right. If we give them support, they'll keep improving.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PGrimm wrote: »
    well least this topic slowed down some in the last few minutes maybe servers are up?

Nope, still down.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh wow man....ur blowing my mind dude...

i try..........
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    miahmite wrote: »
    WTF man, STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER. LIVE A LITTLE. What do you set a timer for naps exactly as long as the down time, then wake up and continue playing? Jeez....

No kidding, and I thought I spent a lot of time in game... Scary... An episode of South Park comes to mind... Mom! I have to go to the baaaaaathroom!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    For all you people ragin' and complainin' take a look at this scene from Star Trek II, should lighten up the mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xtY_k86FBU&feature=related

...and for some more good times, here's a little take from IT Crowd which was referenced by someone earlier, that it seems many didn't understand :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt9j80Jkc_A

Hope you're working hard Cryptic :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I loved Firefly and have watched Serenity 24 times, loved Farscape and Andromeda have all of these in my collection including Space 1999.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    which timezone are the STO servers in? Whois says NY so it's 10:43 EST right now. As far as I can tell, they went down about 1 hour 20 minutes ago.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I liked all the Star Trek Movie's even Generations <Waits to be stoned>, Also liked Star Wars 1 because it had Liam Neeson in it the other 2 I went to see in the Theaters and fell asleep watching, the 3rd one was horrible script writing.

I saw Star Wars Phantom Menace in the theaters and wrote a review for it for the online magazine I was working for at the time. I stated that George Lucas should have hired Carrie Fisher as a script doctor (something she actually does), and maybe, just maybe, those three movies would have been better.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think they should change the name to Star Trek OFFLINE

well...at least for today :D

Fun game, but we all know theres still lots of testing to be done :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just keep wishing that Maul and Jar Jar would meet so that Maul could use his lightsaber on Jar Jar...

Dude!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Gi02Aj_18
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Peridot wrote: »
    OMG!!! Tell me you didn't really watch ST V! And you survived the experience?? Nah, you must be lying. Noone comes out of that without being........changed. Only thing worse than that was to have watched Voyager, or that complete pile of steaming TRIBBLE, Enterprise. TRUE trek fans would never have sunken so low to have watched either of those for longer than it took to realize they were utter garbage.

Heeeyy!!!...I like him on ESPN...BOOM!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I liked Farscape...no one cares, but I'm bored

I admit it, I loved Babylon 5... but that was still no Firefly
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    serth wrote: »
    What kind of sh!tshank do you think I AM???:cool:

If you think any of those regions dont produce quality wine then I am sure the box from the wine you are drinking is almosty empty! :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LOL...gotta love it when you have 3 crashes in 1 day , 5 days before head start. Those crying BETA, please remember, open beta is as much an advertising tool as it is a server test. Cryptic is playing to the lowest denominator and expecting folks to just go "Oh Well". This game brings nothing new as far as technology or game play.

Expect more folks, you are the ones financing this game as of 1 week ago if you did digital or subscribed to the lifetime/1year membership.

We are not in the infancy of MMO games.

Cryptic/Atari- This is a short sighted way of making money. Do you really think in this day and age of information dissemination that folks will ever buy a game with your name on it again??

Folks, please, expect more for your dollar/pound/deutchmark/EU Cred/ then what they are feeding us at this moment.

I wish this game to succeed, but at this time I feel we are being ripped off!:mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is this where I post the pics of my autographed scripts for "All Good Things..." and "Generations"? :}
    Signed by Braga and Moore

hehehehehe
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Things were simpler with UO...we had no frame of reference on downtimes. We just thought the gods had gotten angry or somesuch...

lmfao this post killed me was worth reading the rest of them :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    All cats love me... your car might not be the only thing missing, but I promise the beer will be cold and the sammich yummy.

beer is for women and old fat men, ill take my rum cold and my jack on ice thank you, can i say chop chop? or snap my fingers ... i know its kinda rude but always wanted to be able to do that .... and you can borrow the caddy anytime you like, i would prefere if it came back everytime, its in great shape but its not worth much i dont think, but i love that car.. ill buy something else for you to steal ok?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jesus Christ, it took me nearly 30-45 mins to go through all 23 pages >_>

Here is my take on it:

1. Cyptic is taking portions of the server clusters at a time and loading them all up until the crash. Not exactly my form of stress testing, but at least you know that everyone is of >_>

2. Half the people complaining are people who play every beta they can find because they don't want to pay for the game itself, and they stop playing as soon as the beta is over. Of course if they lose their "free" gametime, they go ballistic.

3.. The stress testing to me seems to be around 10+ servers every single time. The problems is I've noticed when i look them up (only been playing for all of 2 days) cluster 13 is nearly always there, but the others seem to change. Now since I work in the TV industry (mostly a helper.. climb towers etc), the servers we use there are on racks, and 10-20 clusters sounds about right for a row of racks. Then again we are using a raid 3 or 4 config (could be 5) since losing family guy episodes makes people very angry.

I know I'd like "better" discription of what the problem is but I can't rag on cryptic for not telling us. Fixing computer crashes is a pain the TRIBBLE and usually makes me scare the **** out of the first outsider who comes within my hearing or site range because I tend to explode when I work on computers. Certainly my language swaps to Washington State frontier cursing. Which reminds me... someone probably ought to record me next time - I have come up with some damned good punch lines >_>

4. I feel your pain cryptic, I really do - Trying to go to school for ME and EE is bad enough without the ritual transmitter crash at 2 AM due to a power bump, which means I get to go through and reprogram a few boxes here and there (A pain)

5. As to the frequency of the crashes, remember this is being done on Cryptic's coin not us. "You get what you pay for." My 50 bucks is mostly covering development costs. I'm just glad that someone went the whole way to make the game. Between pvp actions and player-submitted ship models I'm going to have fun - already have a lineup for poor cryptic.

6. Also keep in mind that whatever your previous "experience", it doesn't mean much with reguard to the issues STO is dealing with. The only way you would have a real idea is if you worked for CCP or whoever makes the other space mmo's. TBH even though I've played eve off n on since '06, I never got the feeling the game ever left the beta. This one is very playable already and so far I haven't lost 30 hammerhead II's and 40 Orge II's in the first week of an expainsion or release.

7. Which brings me to my 3rd point >_> Cryptic: Please make this game as hellish as possible for the EU players. Have every crash during their time. If CCP only gives EU players any support (Most of the GM's for CCP aren't even on during the US/TZ), then I want the best possible for us US/TZ and pure TRIBBLE for the EU/TZ. It's about time we got back at those (Deleted due to offensive content) that (Deleted due to offensive content) for CCP and make the game a bunch of (Deleted due to offensive content) for us in the New World.

8. As you can see I have something stuck up my (Deleted due to offensive content) about CCP and how much money I wasted on them cause I was a (Deleted due to offensive content) TRIBBLE who couldn't (Deleted due to offensive content) wise up for several years.

Anyways cryptic keep it up! I've got an all nighter so i might just log onto dev chat for a bit >.> This game is AWSOME!! (Deleted due to excessive use of the "!" symbol. We think it's great that you are excited but 2 pages of "!" is a bit excessive >.>

- Imaginary mod
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SodaPop76 wrote:
    to l ate .. loved that show thanks for bringing up all the bad memories of my loss :(

oh stop, don't be sad, you don't cry when you think back on your first wink-wink-nudge-nudge-say-no-more, do you? Remember it fondly :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Janko wrote:
    For all you people ragin' and complainin' take a look at this scene from Star Trek II, should lighten up the mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xtY_k86FBU&feature=related

...and for some more good times, here's a little take from IT Crowd which was referenced by someone earlier, that it seems many didn't understand :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt9j80Jkc_A

Hope you're working hard Cryptic :p

OMFG Janko...YOU SUCK!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Peridot wrote: »

Dude, that was kinda offensive. I really liked Voyager. Enterprise was good in it's fourth season (with the exception of the series finale). That doesn't make me any less of a Trek fan than anyone else, much less you.

btw, totally agree with you on the Berman bit, but you forgot someone Bragga. Biggest douche to touch Trek.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No kidding, and I thought I spent a lot of time in game... Scary... An episode of South Park comes to mind... Mom! I have to go to the baaaaaathroom!

LMAO :D How do you kill one that has no life? :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    well the account server is up but the login server is still down
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kutter01 wrote: »
    LOL...gotta love it when you have 3 crashes in 1 day , 5 days before head start. Those crying BETA, please remember, open beta is as much an advertising tool as it is a server test. Cryptic is playing to the lowest denominator and expecting folks to just go "Oh Well". This game brings nothing new as far as technology or game play.

Expect more folks, you are the ones financing this game as of 1 week ago if you did digital or subscribed to the lifetime/1year membership.

We are not in the infancy of MMO games.

Cryptic/Atari- This is a short sighted way of making money. Do you really think in this day and age of information dissemination that folks will ever buy a game with your name on it again??

Folks, please, expect more for your dollar/pound/deutchmark/EU Cred/ then what they are feeding us at this moment.

I wish this game to succeed, but at this time I feel we are being ripped off!:mad:

Oh please. Get over yourself. Feel ripped off if this is happened a week or two after Feb 2nd
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    esarphie wrote: »
    Farscape... the serious version of Muppets in Space!

PIGS......IN........SPAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCccccceeeeeee