test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The tutorial is trash.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I think some devs should take a log of about 4 hours of chat in several zones. Most particularly the SOL space station area. They need to look at every question asked in that zone and decide if thats somthing that should be in the game manual that don't exist as of yet that I know of and if its something that should be addressed in the tutorial.

IMO the tutorial is horribly lacking and left me very confused. Some place it should mention that if you press the M key and click on the farthest right tab it brings up a list of the places they need to go to complete most of the begginer missions. And by double clicking on them that a course will automatically be laid out and engaged. Number one question I see? "Wheres the sirius sector block?" The response I see? "Your in it newb haha".

WAR and EVE both just totally revamped their tutorials and "entry level zones". I remember reading some place that WOW just did a massive newbie makeover also or is in the process of it.

This game has the potential to bring in lots of nerdy trekkies that may have never played an MMO before as well as adults that are trekkies and feel they need to play the game to satisfy their need to own and know all things trek. Ive never really been a fan of startrek and the only series I watched was voyager and a little bit of the one with the bald captain.

I think if something isn't done to seriously ramp up the tutorial and "newbie" portions of the game then a huge player base will not re-sub after the first month. Want to see "epic fail"? Go look at aion. That games the laughing stock of the MMO's right now. Their launch was hopeless, dooming them from the start. No manual, no tutorial to speak of and nothing but grinding till you reach level 20 and are able to go get ganked in the PvP areas by horribly un-balanced play.

The most critical part of an mmo launch is the tutorial. Ensure that it addresses ALL aspects of the game that people will encounter for the first......I dont know, 10-20 hours of their game play? Sound reasonable? If they havent picked up all the little tricks in that time they should prolly go back to hello kitty.

Anyway, thats my two gold.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Skireen wrote: »
    IMO the tutorial is horribly lacking and left me very confused. Some place it should mention that if you press the M key and click on the farthest right tab it brings up a list of the places they need to go to complete most of the begginer missions. And by double clicking on them that a course will automatically be laid out and engaged. Number one question I see? "Wheres the sirius sector block?" The response I see? "Your in it newb haha".

Come on, isn't every educated human supposed to know that earth is in the Sirius sector of the Milky Way Galaxy, and is supposed to be somewhere near the Alpha-Centauri which is by the way one of the three most bright stars on the night sky next to Sirius and the Canopus?

Come on, there is also a map under the M key

I believe that the responses are on the level of the question
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://startrekonline.com/manual. There ya go :) in color, even with pictures.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    While i agree the tutorial isnt that good.. I think we sould be able to skip it totally. Once we go though it the first time and learn the controls there is no need to do it again. Please allow us to press a button and skip the tutorial.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    momurda wrote: »
    While i agree the tutorial isnt that good.. I think we sould be able to skip it totally. Once we go though it the first time and learn the controls there is no need to do it again. Please allow us to press a button and skip the tutorial.

Thats a must! I remember the early DDO days of having to work through the tutorial every time you made a new toon. =)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The Devs seem to have made the unfortunate mistake of believing the playerbase for STO would be more intelligent than the average bear.

The tutorial, if you actually read everything presented to you, gives you a basic working knowledge of the game and how to navigate. That's really all a tutorial is supposed to do. There will always be things you need to discover on your own and there should be.

I do believe, when you first enter sector space, you get an info box that tells you about pressing M for map and using the system list. In addition, zoning into the first sector space, I believe the title on the loading screen says "Sirius Sector Block" PLUS if you hit M and look at the galaxy map you can clearly see where you're located.

The vast majority of questions in chat stem from
    1. not reading something, be it a quest description or text box, or
    2. wanting an answer immediately from someone else rather than trying to find the answer themselves.

You can't solve either of those issues no matter how much information you put in a tutorial.

There is a difference in giving sufficient information to create a framework from which to learn the rest of the game, and trying to hand hold and make sure no one ever has to think for more than a half second or explore their UI to find a button.

I don't think the current tutorial is perfect, but I wouldn't say it's trash and it's not entirely insufficient for it's intended purpose.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tutorial is not gold but still problem is mostly " lack of reading skills and will".

Like 20% of questions in Sol System are worth answering to be honest. Rest is either lack of reading or just lazyness of people who can not check game manual.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i really enjoyed the tutorial got me right into the action..

I managed to find otu the map thing without asking i jsut assumed it was in the tutorial.. must be wrong oh well.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lumirel wrote: »
    Tutorial is not gold but still problem is mostly " lack of reading skills and will".

Like 20% of questions in Sol System are worth answering to be honest. Rest is either lack of reading or just lazyness of people who can not check game manual.

Where is Sulu anyone? Right behind the Admiral who tells you hes in the same office.

Where is the Admiral's Office? Right in front of you when you first beam in notice the flashing door with Admiral Written over it.

Where is that Nebula the lackys system just like the mission list tells you.

And so on as such. There are plenty of good questions for people to ask like where is the Ambassador and so on. Finding those could use some improvement yes. However most of the questions I see are the ones written above.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yeah it would be nice if the interior maps had some labels letting you know where things where.. esp in the space stations.

But i think i read in some in the where is sulu thread by the devs that this was somthing they had already done.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lumirel wrote: »

Game manual ? I tried the online one which sucks and tells me nothing. Cant use the one that comes from the box now can we... imo everything seems thrown togther and last minute
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Its the same problem as with all mmos and that is many players simply refuse to read text that is put in front of them and thereby not knowing what to do. I too notice that people on Spacedock spamming chat with completely idiotic questions that are answered perfectly well in mission text. My friend and I have had numerous navigation problems, and you know what we did? We talked about it and looked through the UI, the comms log etc and figured it out. That's part of the game. If you can't figure out simple stuff like how to find people I don't know how you intend to cope with the more complicated aspects of the game, and perhaps it isnt for you.

As a general rule of thumb, try the following before blaming the devs:

1) Re-read the mission communication by using the captains log function and going through your episode list.
    2) Check your UI thoroughly and learn what everything does. No tutorial can comprehensively teach a player how to do everything in the game. If you take the time to learn it for yourself you will remember it all the better.
    3) Check the forums to see if others are having the same issues. Maybe its a known bug that will be addressed at a later stage.
    4) READ THE TEXT IN FRONT OF YOU THE FIRST TIME. It isnt just there to add flavour, it is there to explain what you are supposed to do and where you are supposed to do it.

Finally, I highly reccommend looking at the Galaxy map ("M" key, middle top tab). If you look properly you will see that the galaxy is divided into blocks of 3 or 4 sectors. Each of these sectors contain systems. A big problem that many people seem to have is that they are confusing Sectors with Systems and Sector Blocks. Put some effort in yourself and figure things out. It will make you a far better player in the long run and I for one find the process very satisfying.