edited December 2009
    This is where you did your mistake sir.

Make sure you quote the obvious!

Lol. :D

you don't think I know I made a mistake? :eek:
  • Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Yesterday MMORPG posted an interview about STO beta (http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/feature/3870/page/1). In it they talk as if CO lifetime/6 mo. subscribers are already in the game. Here's the exsert for those who don't want to use the link:

MMORPG.com: Who is currently in the STO closed beta and how have you decided thus far who to include?
    Daniel Stahl: Employees, our friends and family, Champions Online lifetime and 6 month subscribers, press members, contest winners, publishing partners, and web applicants are all in Closed Beta at this time.

I'm a lifetime subscriber (granted I didn't buy it just for the STO stuff), but I havn't gotten in yet, or been invited, or notified I'd be invited. I can live with the fact I'm not in yet, but they are telling everyone that the subscribers are. Either I'm just a clerical error that will be corrected, or there are still a lot of people still out there waiting. Let me know if your one of them!

Pheonix Tigerborn
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm a Champions Online lifetime subscriber and wanted to play Star Trek Online too, was one of the perks that made me subscribe for a lifetime on champions and that I like the game.

I got an email invite to the close beta with the following instructions -

Visit the official Star Trek Online Website.
    On the right-hand side of the page, click the image that reads "Closed Beta ACCEPTED."
    Note: You can also visit http://www.startrekonline.com/preview_application directly, which will advance you to the next step of the process.
    Accept the Non-Disclosure Agreement and Terms of Service.
    Say Hello on the Beta Forums: http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

hope that helps Pheonix Tigerborn.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm still trying to figure this out ... is there going to be a lifetime membership for Star Trek Online? I haven't seen this addressed in this forum and if so I might need to be guided to it ... thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the help, but I had submitted an application, and I double checked that it still just said "applied". Guess I keep waiting, it just sucks I had to find out from a third party interview that I need to contact customer service, they should have announced on the main page, or sent out an email blast to let everyone know that this group should be in and if not contact us.

thanks again.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I agree with the lifetime membership thing. I'd snap on up if they did that. As for paying the montly sub thing I might wait until a free trial comes out (no, beta is not a trial to me. It's bug smashing time).
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Let me know if your one of them!

Currently I am a 6 month subscriber and have not been invited in. I am in the process of canceling my account with CO and have sent a request for a refund. I doubt that I will get it as every online game posts a no refund policy however in this instance I purchased and subscribed because of the ad that was posted at STO. Even if I were to be let in at this point it is pointless as the pre-orders should be shipping in a week or two. I too can live without being in the closed beta. I am just upset with myself for wasting money.

It was really stupid on my part. I just need to learn to have patience.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No, I have not yet recieved my invite to STO Closed Beta yet either.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If you purchased the pre-release CO lifetime or 6-month deal and you still haven't been accepted, be sure to contact stobeta@crypticstudios.com per this post:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1132346&postcount=5680
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kolikos wrote:
    If you purchased the pre-release CO lifetime or 6-month deal and you still haven't been accepted, be sure to contact stobeta@crypticstudios.com

Unfortunately they're not the snappiest at responding...I sent my e-mail on Monday and nothing yet. I imagine that I'm going to fall into the wasted money category as I stopped playing Champions within 60 days of launch, but it'd be nice to know for sure. The only thing that was keeping me from ranting about the wasted cash was the thought that I'd get into the closed beta. While I'm still excited about STO, my enthusiasm with Cryptic is a bit on the low side.

Krob
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Donno about rest of players but i wait for beta invitation until yesterday. Now i see MMORPG have STO beta givaway event and Cryptic even not bader to give me invite even if i bought 6month CO subs. So basicly 2009 has end and i start new year with waseting my money on this studio
    Thx
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I actually got a very quick response and a thank you for you critasizum from cryptic once I had the right email address.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I didn't get an invite and I paid for 6 month subscription to Champions Online. :(

I also prepaid a copy at target for perk and no key. :(

I hope i get a refund from Cryptic with a few free months of game play of STO. It would be a good business decision. I know Blizzard would do it, as they have with with there problems. That's why they are doing so well and video game player continue to purchase there games because they treat there customers well.

Cryptic might have made a good chunk of change $$$ from there "Guaranteed Closed Beta Access". But this promise will also hurt them in the long run.

We, the people will not trust Cryptic if they don't do something to please us, there customers. We will remember this when Cryptic launchs new games in the future. I will and I have with other companies. That's why I drive a Toyota.:)

Cryptic could make Blizzard type money if they help us out. If not, I'll go back to World of Warcraft and wait for there two new game to come out. It should be good. Of course it will, it's being developed by Blizzard.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kolikos wrote:
    If you purchased the pre-release CO lifetime or 6-month deal and you still haven't been accepted, be sure to contact stobeta@crypticstudios.com per this post:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1132346&postcount=5680

I did purchase the pre-release CO lifetime and I did e-mail Cryptic. So far they have not responded. I want to give them every benifit of the doubt, but I am quickly losing faith in Cryptic.:mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Daeke wrote:

Six Month Discounted Subscription ($59.99 USD | $65.99 CAN | £35.99 GBP | €44.99 EUR)

* Saves $29.95 USD (33% off!) over regular monthly subscription!
    * Retro Future costume set
    * Access to the Star Trek Online Closed Beta, beginning later this year!

Link to the news article.

Only reason I subscribed to Champions. No closed beta invite. Bogus. Open Beta begins next week. Quite disgruntled. Cancelled that subscription, stuck with it until April now though.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Champions Online Special Offer
    For a limited time only six-month and lifetime subscribers to Cryptic Studios' other MMO, Champions Online, will receive, among other exciting perks, guaranteed access to the Star Trek Online beta test!

"Beyond the deep discount on the subscription rates, we wanted to come up with added incentives and exclusives that, as gamers, we could get excited about," said Jack Emmert, Cryptic Studios' Chief Operating Officer. "With an early commitment to Champions Online, granting guaranteed early access to our next big game, Star Trek Online, seemed like a great way to engage Cryptic’s biggest fans in other projects at the studio.”

Lifetime subscribers will also receive an exclusive Mirror Universe costume set for Star Trek Online.

Here are the great features our loyal customers will receive.

Lifetime Subscription ($199.99 USD | $219.99 CAN | £119.99 GBP | €147.99 EUR)

* Guaranteed Star Trek Online Closed Beta Access
    * Exclusive Art Deco costume set, available only to lifetime subscribers.
    * Retro Future costume set.
    * Unique Mirror Universe outfit for Star Trek Online, available at the game’s release
    * Exclusive in-game Foxbat action figure, available only to lifetime subscribers
    * Eight additional character slots!

Six Month Discounted Subscription ($59.99 USD | $65.99 CAN | £35.99 GBP | €44.99 EUR)

* Saves $29.95 USD (33% off!) over regular monthly subscription!
    * Retro Future costume set
    * Access to the Star Trek Online Closed Beta, beginning later this year!

Don’t miss out on these great deals! You can purchase your subscriptions now!
    Champions Online special offer LINK

This "Champions Online special offer" that I read doesn't come with a expiration date. ;)

Jack Emmert's quote does not say anything about a pre-release commitment, just an early commitment to Champions Online. How early is too late? :confused:

Those who deserved to be playing on the beta and didn't get on deserve better than this.

Lesson Learned!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ran into the same thing here (paid for six months of CO post-launch after reading that same ad). Just got an email response saying no dice. It's a relatively small thing. I've got a six-month sub to a game that I'm already getting tired of, but that's not a new thing. The annoying thing is that the ad is in no way clear and wasn't taken down. This *is* early.

Then again I'm not filled with confidence that the beta will be all that worthwhile, as the app process is about the thinnest I've ever seen. Granted, most people seem to lie about past beta experience on other apps, but it's a little scary when they don't even ask.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe, just maybe your Email provider blocks the Cryptic Emails, ever checked that point?
    It happened to me a few times, so make sure to check the Spam Folders in your Email provider.

Maybe the Cryptic Emails are there.

Otherwise contact Cryptic again, and ever thought of that, that the Employees of Cryptic took a Holiday around Christmas?

But the Fact that so many people are complaining i have to wonder if that is all legal.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You would have done better paying $10 to fileplanet.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Torr wrote:
    Maybe, just maybe your Email provider blocks the Cryptic Emails, ever checked that point?
    It happened to me a few times, so make sure to check the Spam Folders in your Email provider.

not blocked
    Torr wrote:
    Otherwise contact Cryptic again, and ever thought of that, that the Employees of Cryptic took a Holiday around Christmas?

contacted 3 members on forum waiting on response. probably too busy beta testing.
    Torr wrote:
    But the Fact that so many people are complaining i have to wonder if that is all legal.

probably is! But it puts a sour taste in my mouth to see a company try to get money for beta testing.

Most countries are deal with a tough economic crisis. Cryptic reminds me of some of the politicians in my country. Once in office, they only care what fills there pockets. Then leave town on vacation. :p

Buyer Beware!

lesson learned
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This doesn't make me think very well of Cryptic. It makes me wonder how well the community is/would be treated by this company. Anyone know when their license for Star Trek expires?

And I do believe it is illegal. If nothing else, false advertising. They promised something with the purchase of something and then failed to deliver.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nastastu wrote: »
    This doesn't make me think very well of Cryptic. It makes me wonder how well the community is/would be treated by this company. Anyone know when their license for Star Trek expires?

And I do believe it is illegal. If nothing else, false advertising. They promised something with the purchase of something and then failed to deliver.

I don't know if it crossed that legal line, and it wouldn't matter to me, really, but ethically, yeah, I think it did. That bit matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oleum wrote: »
    You would have done better paying $10 to fileplanet.

two years ago I probably would've. Been too busy until the end of last semesterwith work and school to keep on top of all the usual Geek Beta Hunting Grounds. Also, they've double-billed me in the past and weren't that awesome aout correcting the problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kanous wrote:

contacted 3 members on forum waiting on response. probably too busy beta testing.

But did you contact customer service? If you have and they not yet responded to that then I would either call t hem OR send another email escalating your issue. I wouldn't depend on the mod community keeping up to date on their email for something that was important to me. They are just too busy and tend to get slammed with all kinds of communication.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was just considering doing this, I know, even at this late date.

But from what I read it would be a mistake.

I say if you purchased something based on an ad that said you would get x, y and z and you only got x and y, I'd try a chargeback with my credit card company to get the money back (provided you don't actually want the CO subscription). You didn't get what you paid for, thats what chargebacks are for. It should be an open and shut case, especially since cryptic can revoke the CO membership to make sure you are not getting something you didn't pay for (after the chargeback).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I would like to apologize for my rant. Cryptic solved my problem and I am pleased.

If you have a problem, give them a call 1-408-399-1969. They will help.:):)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Taco_Chuck wrote:
    I was just considering doing this, I know, even at this late date.

But from what I read it would be a mistake.

I say if you purchased something based on an ad that said you would get x, y and z and you only got x and y, I'd try a chargeback with my credit card company to get the money back (provided you don't actually want the CO subscription). You didn't get what you paid for, thats what chargebacks are for. It should be an open and shut case, especially since cryptic can revoke the CO membership to make sure you are not getting something you didn't pay for (after the chargeback).

Yes, do not get the CO subscription just to get into the closed beta for STO. You will not get in that way, regardless of what the ad appears to say. I received an email that stated such in no uncertain terms. I replied by linking the ad and pointing out that it is not at all clear on that point, but haven't heard back.

As for the chargeback, I actually used a giftcard I received for Christmas, so I'm not sure that I could do it. Had I put it on one of my credit cards, you're right, and it would've been done by now.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, do not get the CO subscription just to get into the closed beta for STO. You will not get in that way, regardless of what the ad appears to say. I received an email that stated such in no uncertain terms. I replied by linking the ad and pointing out that it is not at all clear on that point, but haven't heard back.

As for the chargeback, I actually used a giftcard I received for Christmas, so I'm not sure that I could do it. Had I put it on one of my credit cards, you're right, and it would've been done by now.

Giftcards are legally prepaid credit cards they are backed by a bank and a major creditor visa/mc/etc.... You can with all legal right return the item. You need to have the card and call the toll free number on the back or go to the store where it was purchased and they can give you the info you need. Most often depending on where the card came from you can A: get the money back on the original card or B: The company will return/give you a new card with the previously stated amount.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have been looking forward to this game for awhile but cryptic doing this......
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Anybody happen to notice how old that post is?
This discussion has been closed.