test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a planned MASSIVE Picard series related update on the way?

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
I know that there are no real details about the series yet (I'm dying to know what the ship will be like and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that loads of effort will be put into it) but will it also mean we get a Picard Series expansion? I can't possibly imagine anything with Paddy in it being bad, even if it's going to go way off original Trek, because I mean...it's Jean-Luc Picard, but would he actually voice in STO? He did in Star Trek Elite Force II and maybe he would, but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's closer to TNG that the JJ-Verse or Discovery.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I think it is a safe bet we get Picard related stuff going forward. The way however how cryptic tries to bring in current things fresh from the shows into the game however does not seem to allow a singular “massive” update but rather small and constant iterations as we have seen with the cool implementation of everything Discovery related.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Since no one here is Clairvoyant, no one can answer your question.

Pete is right though, a 'massive update' is highly unlikely given recent trends.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    kayajay wrote: »
    I know that there are no real details about the series yet (I'm dying to know what the ship will be like and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that loads of effort will be put into it) but will it also mean we get a Picard Series expansion? I can't possibly imagine anything with Paddy in it being bad, even if it's going to go way off original Trek, because I mean...it's Jean-Luc Picard, but would he actually voice in STO? He did in Star Trek Elite Force II and maybe he would, but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's closer to TNG that the JJ-Verse or Discovery.

Kelvin timeline films. They're not named after the director of two of them.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Kelvin was an STO invention, but JJ-Verse is everything that sprang from his reboot film. It's all the JJ-Verse...unfortunately.
  • Options

Kelvin was an STO invention, but JJ-Verse is everything that sprang from his reboot film. It's all the JJ-Verse...unfortunately.

No. The official name is the Kelvin Tineline. STO was the first outlet to use the name. It never came up with it.
    The film is also not a reboot, it's still in the same canon as the rest. No other part of the franchise is named after the producers or directors and the KT is no different.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    No, Kelvin Timeline was an invention of the IP holder to give it an official name.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    In fact, the IP holder gave it that name precisely because the point of diversion was that in that timeline, rather than USS Kelvin going back to Earth as previously planned so that the Kirks could have their son James in their old hometown of Riverside, Iowa, it was instead diverted to investigate the odd stellar phenomenon that turned out to be the Narada coming through.

STO certainly didn't invent the name; had they, I suspect they would have called it something more like "the Narada timeline", as they would have seen that as the more important link.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    To answer the OP, though: is there a Picard related update planned? You can almost guarantee it since STO tries to include most Trek. Will it be MASSIVE (since you emphasized that)? Not likely.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Indeed "Kelvin timeline" was needed to tell it and prime apart in official material, remember that "kelvin timeline" does exist in prime as an alternative timeline and calling it "JJ-verse" in universe would make less sense (or at least would need an in universe explanation as to why it's called that).

Also calling it JJ-verse seems to have same implications of "not being real Star Trek" that referring Star Trek:Discovery as a veneral disease has. It's not like we call TOS, TAS or pre-season 3 TNG Rodenberry-verse or Season 3 TNG to ENT B&B-verse.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    New ground terrain will be introduced - Chateaux, and Vineyards. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    Vineyard Fleet Holdings or GTFO
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    schloopdoo wrote: »
    Vineyard Fleet Holdings or GTFO

I would actually love that. xD
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    Two episodes and a bit of time travel...
  • Options
    @baddmoonrizin can this be a FCT?
    Yes OP, when the show debuts and the are given the go ahead from CBS and know what does what, we will see ST:P stuff in game, obviously
    As they have stated many times

Whatever the abbreviation for Picard will be, it will not be ST:P.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    @baddmoonrizin can this be a FCT?
    Yes OP, when the show debuts and the are given the go ahead from CBS and know what does what, we will see ST:P stuff in game, obviously
    As they have stated many times

Whatever the abbreviation for Picard will be, it will not be ST:P.​​
    based on previous series PIC or PCD would be the most likely I think.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    > kellmg96#5851 wrote: »
    >
    > @baddmoonrizin can this be a FCT?
    > Yes OP, when the show debuts and the are given the go ahead from CBS and know what does what, we will see ST:P stuff in game, obviously
    > As they have stated many times
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Whatever the abbreviation for Picard will be, it will not be ST:P.​​

Besides, STP is Stone Temple Pilots.
    there's also a brand of motor vehicle lubricant named that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    After retiring from Starfleet and spending a few years relaxing on his vinyard, eating and drinking way more than needed... Jean Luc put on about 300kg, and now is a Massive Update!

In more realistic wondering... will we see an odyssey prototype, I wonder... or a Captain (or even Commander) Shon of the USS Belfast?
  • Options
    siotaylor wrote: »
    After retiring from Starfleet and spending a few years relaxing on his vinyard, eating and drinking way more than needed... Jean Luc put on about 300kg, and now is a Massive Update!

In more realistic wondering... will we see an odyssey prototype, I wonder... or a Captain (or even Commander) Shon of the USS Belfast?

IIRC the Odyssey was launched in 2409 and at latest this series is set in 2402 so I suspect seeing it is unlikely (not impossible mind you just unlikely) as for Shon again not impossible but not very likely.
  • Options
    aboundedorc0#8479 aboundedorc0 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    "Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto .... Let's call the whole thing off?"
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

IIRC the Odyssey was launched in 2409 and at latest this series is set in 2402 so I suspect seeing it is unlikely (not impossible mind you just unlikely) as for Shon again not impossible but not very likely.

No, the Enterprise 1701-F Odyssey Class ship was launched in 2409. We have no real idea about how long the design was in development, or if there were any intermediate attempts at a similar design over the years ;)

(In the end, STO is a best either not canon or soft canon. I think it would be interesting to see an Odyssey class in some form on the HDTV screen if the Producers are so inclined.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options

No, the Enterprise 1701-F Odyssey Class ship was launched in 2409. We have no real idea about how long the design was in development, or if there were any intermediate attempts at a similar design over the years ;)

(In the end, STO is a best either not canon or soft canon. I think it would be interesting to see an Odyssey class in some form on the HDTV screen if the Producers are so inclined.)

Yeah, seeing an oddy, even in development, would bring it nicely into canon. On the other hand, if the 1701-F launches as an entirely different ship, then what?
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

Yeah, seeing an oddy, even in development, would bring it nicely into canon. On the other hand, if the 1701-F launches as an entirely different ship, then what?

cryptic releases an "alternate timeline federation flagship." or retcons the Enterprise f into the Enterprise g.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    > @siotaylor said:
    > crypticarmsman wrote: »
    >
    > spiritborn wrote: »
    >
    > siotaylor wrote: »
    >
    > After retiring from Starfleet and spending a few years relaxing on his vinyard, eating and drinking way more than needed... Jean Luc put on about 300kg, and now is a Massive Update!
    >
    > In more realistic wondering... will we see an odyssey prototype, I wonder... or a Captain (or even Commander) Shon of the USS Belfast?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > IIRC the Odyssey was launched in 2409 and at latest this series is set in 2402 so I suspect seeing it is unlikely (not impossible mind you just unlikely) as for Shon again not impossible but not very likely.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No, the Enterprise 1701-F Odyssey Class ship was launched in 2409. We have no real idea about how long the design was in development, or if there were any intermediate attempts at a similar design over the years ;)
    >
    > (In the end, STO is a best either not canon or soft canon. I think it would be interesting to see an Odyssey class in some form on the HDTV screen if the Producers are so inclined.)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, seeing an oddy, even in development, would bring it nicely into canon. On the other hand, if the 1701-F launches as an entirely different ship, then what?

No Oddy will be seen. It was a shitshow just getting it into STO, it was fan created, and CBS sure isn't going to be buggering around with that mess. If the Enterprise J shows up it will be an original CBS design and shortly thereafter STO's Ent J will be retconned.

Enterprise-J? the Universe was always a CBS design even if we only saw in a screen (and the interior), I'm assuming you mean the F and haven't they already used the Odessey design in non-STO content essentially saying "this is the official Enterprise-F".
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    > @siotaylor said:
    > crypticarmsman wrote: »
    >
    > spiritborn wrote: »
    >
    > siotaylor wrote: »
    >
    > After retiring from Starfleet and spending a few years relaxing on his vinyard, eating and drinking way more than needed... Jean Luc put on about 300kg, and now is a Massive Update!
    >
    > In more realistic wondering... will we see an odyssey prototype, I wonder... or a Captain (or even Commander) Shon of the USS Belfast?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > IIRC the Odyssey was launched in 2409 and at latest this series is set in 2402 so I suspect seeing it is unlikely (not impossible mind you just unlikely) as for Shon again not impossible but not very likely.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No, the Enterprise 1701-F Odyssey Class ship was launched in 2409. We have no real idea about how long the design was in development, or if there were any intermediate attempts at a similar design over the years ;)
    >
    > (In the end, STO is a best either not canon or soft canon. I think it would be interesting to see an Odyssey class in some form on the HDTV screen if the Producers are so inclined.)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, seeing an oddy, even in development, would bring it nicely into canon. On the other hand, if the 1701-F launches as an entirely different ship, then what?

No Oddy will be seen. It was a shitshow just getting it into STO, it was fan created, and CBS sure isn't going to be buggering around with that mess. If the Enterprise J shows up it will be an original CBS design and shortly thereafter STO's Ent J will be retconned.

Enterprise-J? the Universe was always a CBS design even if we only saw in a screen (and the interior), I'm assuming you mean the F and haven't they already used the Odessey design in non-STO content essentially saying "this is the official Enterprise-F".

Only in the official CBS Star Trek magazine (for a time they had a number of STO fiction stories printed). But again, it's all non-canon to soft canon at best.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
This discussion has been closed.