test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why are lootboxes still dropping?

zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
Now that we can aquire a probably unlimited amount of the current lockboxes, why are they still dropping (and cluttering our inventory) ? It doesnt really give me a motivation to open them. It rather makes me dislike the lootbox system.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Probably just to advertize their existence.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Because it gets people to open them
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    We could always acquire an unlimited number of Lockboxes. It's just that now, we can do it all for free.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    We could always acquire an unlimited number of Lockboxes. It's just that now, we can do it all for free.

Now that we can get them for free, without needing to wait on them from enemy loot drops, it is pointless for them to be loot drops in my opinion. I would rather have something I can actually use, sale, or scrap. I don't like tribbles either. But at least with them, I can feed them to a cannibal tribble. That has some value.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    They don't feature in the normal loot drop rolls, so you'd just not get a lockbox, but won't get anything more.

Pending that they do stop dropping and being in the Z-Store once the next full lockbox drops, they'll have a tiny amount of value to players that didn't stock up on enough of them prior to the next box but still want to open them if you hold onto them. Not a large amount, mind you, but some value.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Yeah, they're additional drops, you're not losing anything when you see one.

(and 'shoved away on a store window' is useful for people who want to open bulk boxes. The ones that drop are a reminder that they exist, for all the people who don't.)
  • Options
    zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    To make you ask questions.

But if they DO fix loot drops, I would think a bigger needed fix would be dropping gear at higher than Mk XII which has been old for years now. I'm fine leaving the the cap at VR, but at LEAST bump the drop the Mk XIV? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to get anything above Mk XII (with the exception of a FEW mission rewards, or doing specialty reputation gear) is to upgrade? I'm fine with forcing upgrade to get Mk XV UR or Epic, but up until the level increase, you could ACTUALLY play end game with loot gear, bc you could replay a mission X times and get a whole set of max level Rare or VR weapons, or replay a mission to get Mk XII VR consoles. That's my bigger loot issue.
  • Options
    binar0nebinar0ne Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    What annoys me most about lockbox drops is when they drop in the same space as other drops and there's no way to select items other than the lockbox, you can't tell which option is the box. Would be nice if they added an icon for lockboxes or remove them from dropping all together since you can now get stacks of them for free.
    Post edited by binar0ne on
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I'm on console and perhaps not keeping up with all changes being implemented, but are they eliminating lock boxes or making them free? Other than mission drops, you could use a small amount of dilithium to purchase twenty current boxes. What is being changed about that?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I'm on console and perhaps not keeping up with all changes being implemented, but are they eliminating lock boxes or making them free? Other than mission drops, you could use a small amount of dilithium to purchase twenty current boxes. What is being changed about that?

Currently (on PC), the boxes you can purchase, you can purchase for free, no Dilithium needed at all.
    Not really sure what the point is. The major cost have always been the Master Keys.
    I not sure if they are going to change that back some day.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Boxes used to cost EC, EC is a finite resource, therefore the amount of boxes anyone could have bought was finite. So, no, we could not acquire an unlimited amount of boxes until recently.

1. It is not true that EC is a finite resource. You can always make more EC. So given infinite time, you could afford infinite boxes.
    2. Boxes however cost inventory space, and so even with infinite time, you can never store an infinite amount of boxes. You would need to destroy the boxes to clean up your inventory.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Regardless, you can also get them from the C-Store or Dilitium Store for zero cost. The main point being made is now that they are freely availible from two 'vendor' sources, why even drop them as loot.

The answer is either they did not take the time to update the loot critter tables or, perhaps more likely, purchasing them is a voluntary act. Where you might not do that and be exposed to them; to 'whet your appetite', dropping them puts them in your face.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    It's exactly as ltminns says. Buying them is a voluntary action. A player could never visit either store and not ever be exposed to them. Having them drop as loot, exposes the player to them. It's marketing. And it's not likely to change.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    They're easier to ignore if they never drop and if people don't buy keys then cryptic would have to rely solely on ships for income.

Ships are slowly stagnating and the change to gambleboxes to make them free might hint at a similar thing happening with that revenue stream.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    binar0ne wrote: »
    What annoys me most about lockbox drops is when they drop in the same space as other drops and there's no way to select items other than the lockbox, you can't tell which option is the box. Would be nice if they added an icon for lockboxes or remove them from dropping all together since you can now get stacks of them for free.

Generally, on this, I've found that if loot and a lockbox drop in the same spot, then the first loot selection is always the loot. The lockbox being the lowest selection.

As far as collecting them. On this, sure I have a few I've picked up recently. But, for the one I want to save, I put them in my account bank, and then pick them up on my low level storage alts. This way, I know I have them,and any that I pick up just becomes trash I can do away with.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Couldn't they instead advertise lockboxes on the news page?
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    They could but that won't stop them dropping.

The in your face nature of so many lootboxes dropping is what lures the weaker willed folk into gambling on them.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    It would be nice if they dropped a bit less often though. Sometimes they just drop right and left while I'm playing.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
This discussion has been closed.