test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek: Discovery Magazine, featuring STO!

2»

Comments

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    Star Trek was never a big success until Wrath of Khan, which is a great film but only loosely a Star Trek film. No examination of the human condition, no philosophy or morality, no speech at the end, and only minimal involvement by the creator. Just a revenge story with lots of ships going bew bew. Again, a great movie I love and filled with layers and themes, but not so much a "Star Treky" film, so much as a generic military space film set in the Star Trek universe.
    But it was Wrath of Khan that led to two successful sequels and helped launch The Next Generation.

You're sure you've watched Wrath of Khan in its entirety?

I remember Kirk having to cope with feeling and being old, dealing with a son he never knew for 15 years who first hated him, dealing with his best friend's death, the whole theme of new life and new beginnings, even after tragedy ("I feel... young"), the need of the many, the eulogy at the funeral, the whole "what do you do when facing a no-win scenario?", miracles requiring sacrifice, etc.

While it's not the most philosophical Star Trek medium, it still has quite deep thoughts and it does it right.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Why is it that people just jump to incorrect conclusions because they don't understand what they are seeing? People seemed to have jumped on this $39.99 price to get the codes. Wrong. All you need do to get the code is get the $12.00 DISCOVERY Companion. You don't need to subscribe to the Star Trek Magazine.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Star Trek was never a big success until Wrath of Khan, which is a great film but only loosely a Star Trek film. No examination of the human condition, no philosophy or morality, no speech at the end, and only minimal involvement by the creator. Just a revenge story with lots of ships going bew bew. Again, a great movie I love and filled with layers and themes, but not so much a "Star Treky" film, so much as a generic military space film set in the Star Trek universe.
    But it was Wrath of Khan that led to two successful sequels and helped launch The Next Generation.

I remember Kirk having to cope with feeling and being old, dealing with a son he never knew for 15 years who first hated him, dealing with his best friend's death, the whole theme of new life and new beginnings, even after tragedy ("I feel... young"), the need of the many, the eulogy at the funeral, the whole "what do you do when facing a no-win scenario?", miracles requiring sacrifice, etc.

While it's not the most philosophical Star Trek medium, it still has quite deep thoughts and it does it right.
    I think part of why people like TWoK is that it doesn't have the EMPTY moralizing and philosophy that the Motionless Picture and TNG are filled with. I mean seriously... yes it's a cool idea to ponder how to communicate with a alien intelligence. It's not really a discussion of morality though. It's just sooo… out there to be incomprehensible to people.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    ltminns wrote: »
    Why is it that people just jump to incorrect conclusions because they don't understand what they are seeing? People seemed to have jumped on this $39.99 price to get the codes. Wrong. All you need do to get the code is get the $12.00 DISCOVERY Companion. You don't need to subscribe to the Star Trek Magazine.

$12 is still $12 too much for a T1 ship & costume code that has been a giveaway before.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

I think part of why people like TWoK is that it doesn't have the EMPTY moralizing and philosophy that the Motionless Picture and TNG are filled with. I mean seriously... yes it's a cool idea to ponder how to communicate with a alien intelligence. It's not really a discussion of morality though. It's just sooo… out there to be incomprehensible to people.

I prefer the TMP/TNG stuff. TMP is my fav film. Wrath of Khan, to me, is overrated. ~puts on a hard hat~ o.o;
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    omega13#2190 omega13 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    *slowly comes to the realization that TRIBBLE means "Star Trek: Discovery" and not its more widespread usage*

*will watch Enterprise before she watches this … TRIBBLE!*
    Klingon Chef: "Today is a good day to dine!"
  • Options
    *slowly comes to the realization that TRIBBLE means "Star Trek: Discovery" and not its more widespread usage*

*will watch Enterprise before she watches this … TRIBBLE!*
    the proper abbreviation is Disco or DIS. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > dessniper wrote: »
    >
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @saurializard said:
    >
    > As for "who will win" of watchers and non-watchers, the non-watchers already lost. CBS is building a sharded universe around Discovery to keep Trek in new episodes year round, because just like with TNG, DS9, & VOY, the non-watchers are the minority, and such a small minority they fall into the margin of error.
    >
    >
    >
    > Nope. I can walk away and not worry about it any more. I win. CBS loses. Which means you lose as they will eventually learn that the insult/mocking approach doesnt work. Which means you are out of a job. Which thus makes the world a better place for all.
    >
    >
    >
    > You actually think that the majority of people share your view? See for your dire warning to matter the majority of the people who currently watch Discovery would have to suddenly change their minds about whether they like it. Clearly they don't feel insulted.

It's a interesting assertion that the majority of the STO playerbase is not only TRIBBLE fans but subscribe to the CBS paywall We'll find out how popular TRIBBLE really is when they begin retconning the story line to conform to the new canon, as articles coming out seem to hint is coming with AoD.
  • Options
    starbreeze0starbreeze0 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

Additionally I went to Barnes and Nobles and found it there for 9.99$ USD +tax
    if you have that or something like it, that is also an option.
    :)
  • Options
    We'll find out how popular TRIBBLE really is when they begin retconning the story line to conform to the new canon, as articles coming out seem to hint is coming with AoD.
    Lol! Sources please! I'm curious what you actually have here. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    dbriggs3477dbriggs3477 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Only about $10 by itself. Well worth it since I love Discovery and like the in game perks.

We never get much Trek because our own fanbase is too busy wanting every show or movie to be a copy of itself and do the same tired formula over and over.

Everything evolves. ST is no different.
  • Options
    jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > jrdobbsjr#3264 wrote: »
    >
    > We'll find out how popular TRIBBLE really is when they begin retconning the story line to conform to the new canon, as articles coming out seem to hint is coming with AoD.
    >
    >
    >
    > Lol! Sources please! I'm curious what you actually have here. :p

On my phone now....ill post the link when I get home. Admittedly the article is ambiguous, but it seems AoD is more ambitious than the blogs were saying.
  • Options
    husker1964husker1964 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Redeemed Code, missing the pheonix boxes and large xp boost. I already had the t1 connie and you gave away the discovery uniforms.