Historical battles

2»

Comments

• Options
    slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Yes
    Just a thought

Wolf 359, cube immunity (thanks to Lucutus knowledge of the fleet) + X Weapon damage increase every 30 sec until X minutes.

Player reward=
    damage dealt-((player deaths X player hull capacity)+player hull heals)

1st, 2nd, 3rd place rewards for highest earners.

I suppose you could max out Defense to make the Cube miss you more often. Decrease your threat. Get more chances for immunity.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    On the fence
    Whilst it would be fun to fly in Wolf 359 or the Mutara Nebula I just feel Cryptic wouldn’t know how to make it interesting without either a) spamming the mission full of ships, b) it looking like a disco, or c) the enemy just being a bloated fat HP-whale that is no fun to shoot at endlessly.

I mean look at things that are big and mean in game right now, the ISA gates or transformers; they are just boring snoozefests when it come to killing them even with their abilities and powers.
    And at the opposite end you have missions like MIA (ignore the timer for now) which is just a massive illogical zerg-rush which is utterly out of character with the Trek we see on tv.

I’d love some historical battles, I just don’t have faith in them being done well enough not to be embarrassing.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Yes
    how about more focus on st:d and less on the old stuff?

TRIBBLE..."DIVERSITY IN SPACE"...Yeah...No... (Offensive language moderated out - BMR)

JJTrek is closer to canon than that (and GOD, did that hurt to say)

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    On the fence
    I don’t think that sort of language is needed here really. People are allowed an opinion but keep it clean.

TRIBBLE is canon whether people like it or not, and it will appear in STO at some point. If that hurts you so much it’s maybe not the game for you anymore.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Keep on subject please
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      st:d and jj-trek is awesome and refreshing and the new canon. every other trek preceding it is boring and outdated. time to move forwards, and make real progress.

Keep on subject, this thread is not about discussing what is canon and what is not. This thread is about should there be historical battles in STO.
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
        No
        Give everyone a T1 ship or T1 gear and abilities and throw them into the mission, problem solved. :D
      • Options
        isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
        Yes
        Re people's comments on needing to maintain canon nature by overriding ships and weapons, it might be okay if the players are merely a minority of the number of ships present, or if we're not saying it IS the battle, and more a recreation of the battle (you know, like civil war reenactment societies). But this reason is probably why we've only seen the Battle of Procyon V (temporal battle) and Kobyashi Maru (simulation).

That issue aside, there is a lot of potential as we only see bits of battles so there are lots of possibilities regarding objectives (slow Borg advance on Earth for evacuations to begin, secure Defiant's passage through Dominion fleet...) but I think the way Cryptic likes to do them is to have it contributing to the overall storyline, and I personally have temporal fatigue.
      • Options
        thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
        Yes
        The problem with doing any historical battle is no matter what the devs decided to do, a third of the playerbase will hate it. The middle third will want any reward to be an Account unlock. The last third will come in here and explain to the rest of us how whatever we get could be better and how the devs got it all wrong.

I wouldn't personally mind being placed in a specific ship. This game mechanic is already functional ingame. Sphere of Influence was it? Where we wind up in command of that poorly laid out Dyson Science/Destroyer? I've always had a soft spot for the Akira class and any derivatives of it. That scene where an Akira stops dead in space and fires off a truckload of torpedoes at the Cube is one of my favorites.

I also would like to see just how good a ship handler I am without all the Space Majiks and Passive-Aggressive addons. Somebody posted a thread recently requesting an off switch for this stuff. Doing a historical battle would be a good place for this.
        A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
      • Options
        lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
        Yes
        Would be a great idea for solo or team play set pieces.team up for wolf 359 or go solo for the WOK nebula fight.

WOK nebula fight have no shields poor accracy and low repair abilities.
      • Options
        captpatrick01captpatrick01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
        edited November 2017
        Yes
        Yes!
        For more interesting, playable content will boost this game's lifespan. Adding a bunch of challenges with cool rewards will definitely entice people to play too. See if you could survive Wolf 359, Bring the Enterprise C back alive against the two warbirds, defeat Kahn, score a nuke kill in the Earth-Romulan War, outfight the M5 Computer, or destroy the queen's sphere before it fires on the Pheonix. And get to take home Big EC, Bigger Dilithium, and epic gear or unique admirality ships!

BTW, this will also finally give a purpose for the holodeck rooms in the academies, stations, and some ship interiors.
      • Options
        strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
        Yes
        It be great to do some via the Holodeck's during various event weekends. Not sure I'd want to see another reputation added for this - I'd rather see reputations expanded with a few new projects or items to earn previously unavailable in a REP.
        0zxlclk.png
      • Options
        tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
        Yes
        If they make these things and go with the 'pre-set ship' idea, then they really need to do something about the traits being removed by swapping to pre-set ships.
        tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif