test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Caitian tails and ears for alien races.

lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
Please let us have Caitian tails and ears as options with the alien gen characters. Just make is so you have to own the Caitian race option to use the tail options. Would make Cryptic money and would please some fans like me. :)
1e3sni150tar.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    While I want this too, it has still been brought up enough to belong in the FCT.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    They had the Caitian ears and tails available at one point for alien creation but they removed them because of a tailo hack and players creating very small feline characters out of their non alien ones
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I agree, this belongs in the F.C.T.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Oh sorry, didnt look in there. Didnt know it was a FCT.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Oh yes. This subject comes up quite often.

While I wouldn't be against it, I'm not that interested in it. I simply made two Caitians and a Ferasan. Not interested in sticking a tail and ears on a human or making up another feline race. Caitian/Ferasan is fine with me.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Eh, if they did it as an unlock when you buy Caitian and Ferasan characters, I could see it, but on it's own? Nah, not seeing it making a real profit. They'd either have to charge a miniscule amount to get people to actively buy it or put it into a large tailor unlock package and sell it for more.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Eh, if they did it as an unlock when you buy Caitian and Ferasan characters, I could see it, but on it's own? Nah, not seeing it making a real profit. They'd either have to charge a miniscule amount to get people to actively buy it or put it into a large tailor unlock package and sell it for more.

Why does a change to tailor unlocks require a cost-benefit score? Semi-recently we've had off-duty pants reclassified in the tailor, mercenary options opened up to uniforms, and KDF officers gain access to TOS skirts and those certainly didn't cross a "we've got to stick to the bottom line!" threshold. C-store species customization parts also aren't sacrosanct (See. FED Klingon versus FED alien, Joined Trill versus KDF/FED alien and FED Trill).

Unlocking tails for aliens is within that same category and scale of tailor changes. It would also give certain people (ie. me) more to play with in making new alien designs (which is one of STO's strongest technical points, few games approach STO's level of customization). Having to explain it further than that is a bit arbitrary as far as tailor topics go (did we need to explain wanting a D'k tahg?) but if you want to go further we can get to the fundamentals about why expanding options leads to more iterative customization which takes time, entertains players, and generally fits the bill for a progressive improvement that incrementally increases satisfaction and, thereby, willingness to drop cash on STO.

Now, backing that up, I'm not offering a bribe (except that I will totally offer Cryptic a bribe to do this. If you're looking for principles you've come to the wrong internet,) but if players are struggling to see how any given change (that improves STO) can benefit STO, just look back to basics.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User

Why does a change to tailor unlocks require a cost-benefit score? Semi-recently we've had off-duty pants reclassified in the tailor, mercenary options opened up to uniforms, and KDF officers gain access to TOS skirts and those certainly didn't cross a "we've got to stick to the bottom line!" threshold. C-store species customization parts also aren't sacrosanct (See. FED Klingon versus FED alien, Joined Trill versus KDF/FED alien and FED Trill).

Unlocking tails for aliens is within that same category and scale of tailor changes. It would also give certain people (ie. me) more to play with in making new alien designs (which is one of STO's strongest technical points, few games approach STO's level of customization). Having to explain it further than that is a bit arbitrary as far as tailor topics go (did we need to explain wanting a D'k tahg?) but if you want to go further we can get to the fundamentals about why expanding options leads to more iterative customization which takes time, entertains players, and generally fits the bill for a progressive improvement that incrementally increases satisfaction and, thereby, willingness to drop cash on STO.

Now, backing that up, I'm not offering a bribe (except that I will totally offer Cryptic a bribe to do this. If you're looking for principles you've come to the wrong internet,) but if players are struggling to see how any given change (that improves STO) can benefit STO, just look back to basics.

Look, I agree with you on all points (especially the character customization bit), but I'm just looking at it from a business perspective. Like it or not, Cryptic, Arc, and PWE are businesses, and the goal of a business is to make money. Yes, the Mercenary outfit has been opened up to the Uniform slot, but you still have to purchase it to begin with.

In this particular scenario, the OP talked about opening it up if you have specifically purchased the Caitian/Ferasan races, but I was positing the idea of it being a separate unlock from purchasing the Caitian/Ferasans.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    atnquickatnquick Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    They had the Caitian ears and tails available at one point for alien creation but they removed them because of a tailo hack and players creating very small feline characters out of their non alien ones
    uh... what?

full_jpg.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    1. Aliens should have access to all parts from all races.
    2. Parts for unlockable race to be unlocked the same way as the race itself.
    3. Caitian ears are insufficient. While they should be available for Aliens as per 1 and 2, we also need proper cat ears, of proper size (large), placed in the proper position (top of head). Recolorable, independently of the character's skin or hair, of course.
    4. For proper cat-person, it must be possible to combine cat ears with regular ears. In other words, place cat ears in the "Head Attach Organic" dropdown, please.
    5. Separate Zen price attached to cat ears optional.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Recently in another Thread:

'That would destroy the "RP" part of "MMORPG" '

I guess it's OK to destroy some people's "RP" but not others.

Strange, very strange, indeed.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I could go for that , and honestly also getting just more parts for the alien creator system. Even if the addition of the Caitian and Ferasan parts were inside a pack that added several more parts from many different types of races.