test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic Devs - Please remove Tac Captain's abilities to buff non-weapon damage

I like all the nerfs - Fire at will and removing a buff from having more than 100 in weapon's power, but you still have not addressed the issue of Tac captain powers - buffing non-weapon damage? is it very hard to change the system so that Tac captain powers no longer buff say exotic attacks that are supposed to be more science?

Still what has been presented so far is a good first step - continue with the balance plans!!

Comments

• Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    So you want to nerf a class that was trained in combat of all types then? Wow seriously that would be like making Mike Tyson fight with 50 lb lead boots with one hand tied behind his back wearing a blindfold and his free hand limited in reach by a one foot long leash and wraped in a foot of bubble wrap.
  • Options
    newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    So you want to nerf a class that was trained in combat of all types then? Wow seriously that would be like making Mike Tyson fight with 50 lb lead boots with one hand tied behind his back wearing a blindfold and his free hand limited in reach by a one foot long leash and wraped in a foot of bubble wrap.

Given the games current meta of DPS rules - giving one class a super stacking ability to all types of attacks makes the other classes way less effective. Tac should not be the go-to class for the game in my opinion. Tac catain powers buffing only weapons will still leave tac captains the top dps, it will just close the gap more between the classes.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Actually, that would be preventing Mike Tyson's fist from generating a blackhole. I am fairly certain that we all agree that is something that he cannot do. If Mike Tyson wanted to do that, then he should have specialized in exotic damage like Chuck Norris.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    What's next, restricting classes to their ship types? The day that happens STO would lose a lot of players.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
      jslyn wrote: »

Actually, that would be preventing Mike Tyson's fist from generating a blackhole. I am fairly certain that we all agree that is something that he cannot do. If Mike Tyson wanted to that, then he should have specialized in exotic damage like Chuck Norris.

LMAO good one!
    • Options
      What's next, restricting classes to their ship types? The day that happens STO would lose a lot of players.

Not so. But when you take a Tac captain and it can do best at all the games content - in ALL 3 ship classes - that is a BIG problem!
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User

Not so. But when you take a Tac captain and it can do best at all the games content - in ALL 3 ship classes - that is a BIG problem!

Having all 3 ship classes open to all classes is much more beneficial for everyone, just re adjust a few things where needed.
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
        edited March 2017

As you may or may not remember, back in the day you were restricted to a specific ship, not even a ship type. That, thankfully, went away with an early Skill Tree Change.

LMAO good one!

(^_^) b
      • Options
        edited March 2017
        What' next, restricting classes to their ship types? The day that happens STO would lose a lot of players.

Having all 3 ship classes open to all classes is much more beneficial for everyone, just re adjust a few things where needed.

Your right there - a few things that still need to be adjusted:

1. Plasmonic leech
        2. Buffing of all power levels via doffs and emergency power abilities

those would be a start. Used to be power management was a real thing - now it's plain stupid to have all 4 power systems at 100!!

oh I could go on with things that need to be "adjusted"
      • Options
        ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
        Could have predicted every word stated.
        'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
        Judge Dan Haywood
        'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
        l don't know.
        l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
        That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
        Lt. Philip J. Minns
      • Options
        curmecurme Member Posts: 51 Arc User

I actually like that idea! Might be a way to nullify the power creep and dps chase.
      • Options
        equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
        I think one step at a time. The newest updates have not even gone live yet.
      • Options
        alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
        ruinthefun wrote: »
        Removing the ability of Tac captains do Science damage would make Science Ships basically useless to Tacs, as Science Ships do damage by science. This, in turn, makes those ships unsaleable to Tac captains, which, as they constitute the majority of the playerbase, makes those ships unsaleable, PERIOD.

It seems like, instead, Science Captains will get their own APA-for-Science.

So much falsehood here.
        ALL ships use weapons, even science ships which would still benefit from tactical captain abilities buffing only weapons.
        Tac captain powers buffing "every single source of damage" makes the career extremely overpowered.
        "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
      • Options
        nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
        If Attack Pattern Alpha gets off with ONLY losing the +exotic damage component, that'll still be gentler than it probably deserves. If you know how to read the blog it was pretty clear that's coming.

Does not buff exotic AND at least 5% reduction on magnitude seems pretty likely to me.
      • Options
        mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
        Removing the ability of Tac captains do Science damage would make Science Ships basically useless to Tacs, as Science Ships do damage by science. This, in turn, makes those ships unsaleable to Tac captains, which, as they constitute the majority of the playerbase, makes those ships unsaleable, PERIOD.

So much falsehood here.
        ALL ships use weapons, even science ships which would still benefit from tactical captain abilities buffing only weapons.
        Tac captain powers buffing "every single source of damage" makes the career extremely overpowered.
        Science Vessels however get a higher percentage of their damage done with exotic damage, so a buff only affecting the weapon part will be less powerful then the same buff on a ship that mostly uses weapons for damage.

I think it's okay that Attack Pattern Alpha buffs exotic damage. But it might no be okay that the damage buff is the same in both cases, because the relative resulting buff is not neccessarily the same.

If you add +50 % Cat 1 buff to a weapon that already has a +150 Cat 1 buff, you don't deal 50 % more damage then before, you deal only 20 % more damage.
        But if you add 50 % Cat 1 buff to an exotic attack that has only a +50 Cat 1 Buff, you get to deal 33 % more damage than before.

We'll see what they do.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
      • Options
        d0nomegad0nomega Member Posts: 202 Arc User
        So you want to nerf a class that was trained in combat of all types then?

It's an MMO player mentality;
        If I do more damage then you then you are a noob! If you do more damage then I do...nerf your class.

• Options
        Because no one ever looks at the metrics and see that across all skill levels a class is doing FAR more damage without a corresponding deficiency in survivability, sustain, or utility.

You can pretend the disparity is a myth... but I don't think you're gonna convince the Devs of that.
      • Options
        alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User

So much falsehood here.

The major source of damage on a science ship is exotic, which assuming APA gets the exotic nerf means science ships on a Tac lose, while on a Sci they suddenly get buffed at least as much as APA did plus the healing, control, drain that Tacs already have zero source to benefit from in terms of career powers. Science career also benefits from Conservation of Energy as a career trait which now will stack somehow with Deflector Overcharge.

"Player investment retains value" becomes false for all existing players who have ever purchased a science ship and all the goodies to make one or more tactical captains (mains across all 3 factions) to pilot these suddenly realize their previous choice is suddenly and completely unexpectedly after years now sub-par ("Choices should be meaningful") to what it should have been on the fact that APA was well-known to boost exotic damage.

The premise of "Player investment retains value" is again nullified when dealing with lockbox/lobi/promo ships that are bound to character, and that's without mention of the endless other items that are also character bound and specifically designed to benefit science ships exclusively.

Having more than one main is already extremely costly as it is essentially paying and playing double or triple if only to have access to the 'other factions' that are already at a huge premium because fewer players know to open boxes on them or have an established history of T5 goods to draw from as much as Feds for do.

I've made my choice to have Tactical captains as 'mains' for Romulan and KDF faction because Tac Captain skills allows boosting of exotic damage and I wanted some variety from a Fed Sci main. I still have Science captains for Rom and KDF (and now 2 new Rom Engineers) because Cryptic finally gave us T6 Science ships for the other factions and so I put significant resources into them as well for the fun ("players should not be made to feel that their fun is “wrong."") of having Sci captains in proper T6 Sci ships especially for the existing benefits before the changes go live.

Engineers have benefited from the extra tankiness that helps Science ships keep up their shield tanking and make up for their moderately frail hulls, and the healing boosts. Now, they'll be able to boost sub-system max power on aux despite the earlier reduction on Aux-benefits over 125 that now applies to Weapon subsystem power, helping exotic damage on ships with or without intel seating. Their choice to main Engineers and fly Science ships isn't wrong as it's always been this way, and now actually receives minor boosts.

tl:dr No to APA nerf on exotic damage because our Tac captains would suddenly lose a benefit to exotic that made Sci ships on them still viable despite not having any career means to boost healing/control/debuff/drain.
        Y945Yzx.jpg
        Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
        · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
        «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
        ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
      • Options
        Ask yourself this - in how many areas/stats do the Three Professions overlap?

"The different careers have received several changes, mostly focused on increasing the effectiveness of Engineering and Science captains."

There WILL be nerfs. Three guesses which profession is getting them and Engineering and Science don't count.

"•...Science Captains now gain Deflector Overcharge, which significantly increases outgoing healing, exotic damage, control abilities, and drain abilities for a short duration."

The moment that finally found its way home to Science captains, the writing was on the wall for Attack Pattern Alpha.

• Options
        tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User

Just adjust a few things, like apa/gdf...the entire point of the thread. Tac/sci ship is still an option, since tacs can buff the beams/torps/non-exotic. Eng/sci is an option because of the added aux power on eps transfer and the healing abilities. Sci/sci simply becomes the best option.
      • Options
        hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
        I support this. Tac captains should not outshine Sci captains on science abilities.
      • Options
        taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
        edited March 2017
        To me, a sci ability should be more potent in a sci captains hands. End of story.
        It's never felt right to me that tacs can buff a sci ability to levels a sci captain can only dream of.

Doesn't seem right nor logical to me.

But.. I would understand if someone was upset by the change, @alcyoneserene has a legitimate concern.
        [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
      • Options
        risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
        Also agreed. It makes no sense and one career should not get such a special treatment.

Though it seems they are already trying to adress this with the new Sci captain ability. It would be better to see the effects of that before more changes are suggested/made.

I mean, I wouldn't mind if they changed APA so that it only benefits weapons and not also other abilities - but I guess a tiered approach allows them to better assess the changes.
      • Options
        tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
        edited March 2017
        OP is right. I think this was my biggest beef with them tacs, that they do much better at science. I have two nearly identical exotic builds on a tac and a sci, and my tac makes my sci look like a worthless bum. I'm not saying per se to make tac's abilities no longer buff everything (I actually don't care if they nerf or keep it this way), but I'm just saying they should think of something better to do with the sci's and their carreer.