test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The big list of big bads who are left to be big bads

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
Through Star Trek Online's 6+ years of operation, which has included numerous story arcs, and 3 expansions so far, we, the player character, have slapped around a long list of badguys.

With the upcoming story arc involving the Tzenkethi, I have wondered..... what could possibly be next after them?

If we take a look at the state of the known galaxy, as of the end of the Temporal Cold War arc, we can break down the various factions into several distinct groups.

-The Alpha Quadrant Alliance: The main goodguy force consisting of
1. The Federation(And all of its member species)
2. The Klingon Empire(which now also rules over the Gorn, Orions, Nausicaans, Letheans, and Feserans, aka the Kzinti)
3. The Romulan Republic(which also has the Reman Resistance)
4. The Cardassian Union(A Federation protectorate which is unable to provide military support as they dismantled their military post Dominion War)
5. The Ferengi Alliance(While the game isn't 100% clear if they are full members, they show up enough to count IMO)
6. The Deferi(All the good that does)

-The Delta Alliance: Secondary goodguy force in the Delta Quadrant, allied to the AQA, consisting of
1. The Benthans
2. The Borg Cooperative
3. The Hazari
4. The Hierarchy
5. The Kobali
6. The Turei
7. Some Talaxians
8. Several Kazon Sects
9. Krenim Imperium survivors

-Groups we have friendly relations with, though they aren't part of The Alliances
1. The First Federation(trading partners since first contact with Kirk)
2. The Metron Consortium(typical higher power race that doesn't get involved but has acknowledged our progress as species)
3. The Octanti(Sympathetic to the Delta Alliance, but hesitant to join due to bias against Borg)

-Groups who were trying to kill us, but we made peace with(even if they still don't really want to talk to us)
1. The Iconians(Including servitors such as the Elachi, Solanae, Bluegill, Heralds)(Have gone back to Iconia to terraform it, and will leave us alone as long as we leave them alone)
2. The Undine(have gone back to their realm after we showed them that it was the Iconians tricking them, and that we didn't break the deal Janeway made)
3. The New Link(After exposing Laas' lies they have stopped any attacks against us, and simply stay in their system)
4. The Vaadwaur(With Gaul's death, and Eldex taking over, the Vaadwaur have stopped being hostile, even if they aren't working with the Alliance)

-Groups we kicked the TRIBBLE of, 6 ways to Sunday, and who are no longer able to really pose a threat to us
1. Romulan Star Empire/Tal Shiar
2. True Way
3. The Borg
4. The Voth
5. The Devidians
6. Temporal Liberation Front(Consisting of The Sphere Builders, The Vorgons, Mirror Leeta's fleet, and rogue elements of the Na'Khul and Krenim)

Now, to come back to the original topic at hand, the question of "who is left", when we take in all of the above, and look at what little of the known Star Trek galaxy we haven't seen yet, we are left with a rather small list of groups who could possibly hate us/want to attack us.

These groups are
1. The Tzenkethi(Obvious next badguys)
2. The Breen(While we stopped one Breen Captain, we have never fought the Breen as a full force, and they still don't like any of the Alliance races)
3. The Tholians(Maybe not true badguys, but the Tholians have a bizarre mindset that commonly makes them hostile to most. And while we stopped their operations on Nukara and New Romulus, we have never fought the Tholians full on)
4. The Mirror Universe(While we have thrown several wrenches into Mirror Leeta's plans, she is not the full force of the Mirror Universe, and the Mirror Universe Emperor is said to have god like powers)
5. The Pah-Wraiths(An abstract enemy that is hostile to the Bajoran Prophets, and, if Mirror Leeta is to be believed, has begun helping her. Meaning any fight against Mirror Leeta is a fight against them)
6. The Sheliak(A xenophobic non humanoid race that exists very far away from the Alliance)
7. Talarians(A rather non friendly space faring species that already fought one conflict with The Federation.)
8. Augments(Given how big of a deal they were in Star Trek, and how Cryptic already once thought of doing an Augment Arc, we could see them appear sometime)
9. The T'Kon(A supposedly extinct species, that once held a massive empire spanning trillions of people across numerous star systems and had technology tat bordered on magic)
10. The Dominion(Largest, and really only, known power in the Gamma quadrant)
11. The Hur'q(ancient enemies of the Klingons who were suggested to have returned and resurrect the Fek'ihri)
12. T'Ket(last of the Iconians who hates our guts)
13. Sela(Can never stay caught, and has been responsible for basically everything thus far.)

If anyone can think of other possible bad guys for future story arcs, I would love to hear it.

*edit*
added T'Ket and Sela
Post edited by somtaawkhar on

Comments

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Still have a single irate Iconian out there planning to kill us all...
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Personally id like to see the Typhon pact be the next real big bad force
  • Options
    So, massive head canon for a second: the Gorn we're familiar with are descended from the survivors of a ship flung across intergalactic distances centuries or even millennia ago (which seemingly happens all the time in Star Trek :)). The greater Gorn race (with several physically distinct sub-castes and a whole psuedo-biological technology base) controls large portions of a neighboring galaxy as seen in the Kirk 'n Spock Star Trek game created for the Kelvin Timeline. If those Gorn renew experiments to cross vast distances or find their own access point to the Iconian gate network we could see the "Greater Gorn Empire" come roaring into our neck of the woods without trampling on either timeline's continuity. Some ship designs, weapons, architectural style, and a rich variety of ground enemies already developed.
  • Options
    I'd also be willing to see a page taken from Star Trek: Legacy with a rogue Vulcan scientist-philosopher hacking/subjugating a portion of the Borg to create a bunch of hybrids willing to spread the teaching of Surak at the point of a cutting beam... It's only logical.

...and yes, I really liked the Typhon Pact, though it was originally framed as part of the aftermath of the final dissolution of the Borg and a truly ravaged Federation...
  • Options
    sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    The Galactic Empire from Star Wars!!! (Finally settle the debate).....Or the Yuuzhan Vong (But they're legends now. Anyone think Bio-molecular weapons would be effective against them?) LOL just kidding.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    It's mentioned in the Iconian arc that the Borg assimilated new technology that made them considerably more powerful in the "new" timeline (it's actually the Prime Universe or as close as CBS will let them) so we can consider them a threat once more... supposedly.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    There's also potential enemies from outside the Galaxy. In TOS, there were the Kelvans who were from Andromeda. They were the ones that could turn people into little " cuboctahedrons".
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Or how about a year without any wars or big bads to fight. Most of Star Trek has been about exploring new worlds and civilizations not finding a new enemy to fight.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    @somtaawkhar (I'd quote but I'm on mobile right now and "null" isn't good enough)

Their development was altered sufficiently to expand their borders and result in the creation of the Sphere Builders. Even though they couldn't invade the Alpha Quadrant they certainly had enough to cause havoc in the Delta Quadrant.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    Hey, here's a far out flashback that will probably only ring bells in the oldest of STO players and forum goers:

The Children of Khan.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    Given how much everyone hated that Kelvinverse Star Trek game with the Gorn...

No idea who this "everyone" is. Are we maybe talking about the mouthy purists who hate EVERYTHING about the KT? "How dare anybody do something with the Gorn beyond a 60's era rubbersuit monster!" That 'everybody'? Last time I saw a "everyone hates it" in reference to a game that made me think "then everyone must be stupid" was Spiderman: Web of shadows, which these days commands substantially higher secondhand prices than most of its contemporaries or any other entry in the series. I guess somebody other than 'everyone' is still buying copies.

I quite enjoyed the KT Star Trek game for what it was - a fairly simple shooter with a lot of fun dialogue voiced by the actual movie cast. And simple gameplay aside, it had a LOT of nice environmental and visual development sunk into it that could be salvaged for STO.
    I doubt we will see some massive Gorn Empire from another galaxy.

I do too, but probably more than 90% of the things in this thread will never happen before the servers go dark, so that wouldn't exactly be falling short of the average, now would it? ;)
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Or how about a year without any wars or big bads to fight. Most of Star Trek has been about exploring new worlds and civilizations not finding a new enemy to fight.

So you want the new enemy to be "boredom" ;).
  • Options
    bonzodog01bonzodog01 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I think they could possibly do an Enterprise timeline expansion, before the time of TOS. That would be interesting.

Otherwise, the Gamma Quadrant is definitely worth doing.
    XBox One - NFV Rylon - T6 Kolasi Siege Destroyer
    British Imperial Armada
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »

So you want the new enemy to be "boredom" ;).

Actually, the previous enemies have been boredom. Just another boring new enemy to defeat. Apparently, it is difficult to create exciting content that doesn't rely on violence.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Actually, the previous enemies have been boredom. Just another boring new enemy to defeat. Apparently, it is difficult to create exciting content that doesn't rely on violence.

It is... since this engine is in no way set up for that. And most "peaceful" gameplay is indistinguishable from this thing we do outside of games called "work".

Look at the many, many Doff assignments - those have a ton of flavor taken directly from or well suited to the Star Trek universe. Most of them are also stuff you'd hear in the background of an episode. Cataloguing binary pairs is peaceful, lore friendly, and BORING. We have a number of "peaceful" mini-games in the game and the reception to them is mixed at best. Same with even the simplest of puzzles.

I mean yes, it might be fun to have some sort of scene/mini-game where you play poker with your bridge crew, with all kinds of nuanced expressions and tells when they're bluffing... but its also a lot of work to create for a sequence you can only reuse a couple of times before the vast majority of your audience is bored. Meanwhile the far and away most nuanced part of the game we do have is its space combat, with its mostly AI driven ground combat a distant second.

You write content for the systems you have. We saw that in the most recent mission which folded in all the available mini-games (except the omega particle line dance) and even a simple new click puzzle. Hopefully metrics-based reception for that was good and it encourages them to develop more mini-games and puzzles. But at the end of the day building mini-games is a separate activity from writing narrative. One's populating your toolbox and the other is printing the patterns on the wrapping paper. This thread is chiefly about the wrapping paper.
  • Options
    Since the map is expanding we could see the First Federation re-enter the political arena... and in the centuries since we saw them last they could very easily have taken on a slant that puts them in opposition to the all-consuming alliance.
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    Expansion 4: Typhon Pact
    -The Breen, Tholians, Tzenkethi, Talaraians, and Sheliak, all team up to match the power of the AQA. Leeta, the Mirror Universe, and the Pah Wraith will likely be involved as well. Leeta having created it to gain power herself. Probably some Augments in there as well.

The Sheliak are a bit too xenophobic to really ally with other races, they want the rest of the galaxy to just stay out of their way. What reason would they have to team up with anyone to antagonize a bunch of other races that are leaving them alone?
  • Options
    talien wrote: »
    -The Breen, Tholians, Tzenkethi, Talaraians, and Sheliak, all team up to match the power of the AQA. Leeta, the Mirror Universe, and the Pah Wraith will likely be involved as well. Leeta having created it to gain power herself. Probably some Augments in there as well.

The Sheliak are a bit too xenophobic to really ally with other races, they want the rest of the galaxy to just stay out of their way. What reason would they have to team up with anyone to antagonize a bunch of other races that are leaving them alone?

Or why would any of them ally with each other to match the power of the AQA? It makes more sense for them to just let the AQA to be the target against any potential enemies rather than going against the AQA and risking their lives. Also, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, but my enemy's enemy. So even if all of them hate the AQA, then there is no reason for them to join up with each other.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Now, to come back to the original topic at hand, the question of "who is left", when we take in all of the above, and look at what little of the known Star Trek galaxy we haven't seen yet, we are left with a rather small list of groups who could possibly hate us/want to attack us.

These groups are
    1. The Tzenkethi(Obvious next badguys)
    2. The Breen(While we stopped one Breen Captain, we have never fought the Breen as a full force, and they still don't like any of the Alliance races)
    3. The Tholians(Maybe not true badguys, but the Tholians have a bizarre mindset that commonly makes them hostile to most. And while we stopped their operations on Nukara and New Romulus, we have never fought the Tholians full on)
    4. The Mirror Universe(While we have thrown several wrenches into Mirror Leeta's plans, she is not the full force of the Mirror Universe, and the Mirror Universe Emperor is said to have god like powers)
    5. The Pah-Wraiths(An abstract enemy that is hostile to the Bajoran Prophets, and, if Mirror Leeta is to be believed, has begun helping her. Meaning any fight against Mirror Leeta is a fight against them)
    6. The Sheliak(A xenophobic non humanoid race that exists very far away from the Alliance)
    7. Talarians(A rather non friendly space faring species that already fought one conflict with The Federation.)
    8. Augments(Given how big of a deal they were in Star Trek, and how Cryptic already once thought of doing an Augment Arc, we could see them appear sometime)
    9. The T'Kon(A supposedly extinct species, that once held a massive empire spanning trillions of people across numerous star systems and had technology tat bordered on magic)
    10. The Dominion(Largest, and really only, known power in the Gamma quadrant)
    11. The Hur'q(ancient enemies of the Klingons who were suggested to have returned and resurrect the Fek'ihri)
    12. T'Ket(last of the Iconians who hates our guts)
    13. Sela(Can never stay caught, and has been responsible for basically everything thus far.)

If anyone can think of other possible bad guys for future story arcs, I would love to hear it.

*edit*
    added T'Ket and Sela

1. I agree that the Tzenkethi seem to be the next bad guys. It'll be nice to see Cryptic's interpretation of them.
    2. The Breen do seem to dislike everyone involved with the Alpha & Beta Quadrant Alliance, seeing they all played a part in the close of the Dominion War and forced the Breen to return systems that were given to them by the Dominion.
    3. Tholians do make sense to be fairly hostile to anyone not Tholian. We haven't fought them head on yet because they tend to like to keep to themselves when possible. From the game's lore on them, I wouldn't be surprised if they are cross-dimensional, based on the fact they are studying the Mirror Universe inhabitants, possibly to understand why the humanoids seem to be vastly different. There is always room for Tholians to be doing something that takes them into eventual skirmishes with the Alliance.
    4. Mirror Universe (At least the Terran Empire) would be a good enemy that has yet to be truly defeated by the alliance. It would be nice to see someone other than Leeta for a change to be a foe.
    5. Pah-Wraiths, I agree here.
    6. Sheliak: I think the Sheliak may not be a good enemy to feature due to the fact that they are non-humanoid and that they prefer to be far a way from any Humanoids.
    7. Talarians: They seemed to be non-friendly, but that's how a lot of powers started with the Federation at first. In the novels, they are an ally of the Federation. Given though that their Territory according to the star charts lies beyond the current Alpha Quadrant, I am not sure we'd ever see them.
    8. Augments: I'd like to see them return, possibly.
    9. Tkon: They are older than even the Iconians and although we do not even know if the Tkon are alive, but given the surprise of species that "were extinct" being alive, they could still be somewhere, but who knows where they are.
    10. Dominion: This is a pretty iffy scenario on what their official stance with the alliance is. My best guess is that they're somewhere on the border of Neutral as long as they leave them alone, but who knows with them really.
    11. The Hur'q: Another species that would be nice to see, maybe when they revamp the Fek'ihri arc.
    12. T'ket: I can see her coming back, being the war monger of her people.
    13. Sela: I'm not sure what her actual goals are now. We know she wants to get in touch with anyone who's loyal with her, but beyond her loyal Romulans, what else is there? Maybe battling the Tal Shiar to regain control of what's left of the Star Empire? Only time will tell what she will do next.

talien wrote: »

I agree that the Sheliak are too xenophobie to ally with anyone else, Though if I had to choose one species that I think they could ally with, I would pick the Tholians, since both are non-humanoid, xenophobic against anyone that is humanoid and do whatever it takes to avoid them.

I'd also like to see whatever became of Kirk's promise with the Kelvans.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    "This is Admiral Marcus, of the ISS Vengeance!!"
    Emperor%20Rush%20Small_zpsqdrqf2m9.jpg

Lots of options out there for new main antagonists from the Mirror Universe :grin:.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    Instead of a new enemy, I would like to see a Proxy Civil War with the Alliance. When the Gorn rebels (as hinted in many ways in the game), finally are able to push the the KDF out of the Gornar Sector, so the KDF and the UFP fight each other via mercenaries and privateers in the form a new neutral faction. Or Perhaps Ferasa annex a number of Caitian worlds similar to how to Russia annex Crimea.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Personally my favorite enemies were the Borg and the Undine. I want the Borg to come back in force. Unimatrix Zero has been a little quiet, what have they been building...
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com