test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Strange/Powered Alien Artifacts

i'm sure there's quite a few players here who remembers these things and what they were used for - and with the advent of mark 13/14 gear and the upgrade system, they've pretty much been rendered all but useless, even for selling

so, i pose a question to the community; if you had the ability to do so, how would you make these items relevant again for today's game?​​
Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
"We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
Passion and Serenity are one.
I gain power by understanding both.
In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
The Force is united within me.

Comments

• Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Collect 10 (or 50 or whatever), use to craft/change a mod on crafted gear.

Trade "X" amount, for lobi.

Use in new doff missions for fleet marks or Fleet dill vouchers.

Merchant on the captains table that will buy each one for 100K EC.
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Well, like most of my old stuff I can't find use of anymore, chewtoy!

Seriously speaking, some sort of fleet use actually makes sense, give a bunch of fleet credits when donated to projects needing R&D materials.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    A new DOff project that results in new consoles not available by other means.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Just being allowed to re-roll a mod of your choice until you get the right one would be invaluable.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    there's definitely some REALLY good ideas here so far; keep them coming and let your imagination run wild!

i also hope that @borticuscryptic, @crypticspartan#0627 and any other dev responsible for the coding portion of the game are seeing this thread so if they ever decide to do something with the artifacts, they have a handy pool of ideas to draw from​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Those artifacts used to be the ONLY way to get mk12 consoles. That's when NADORC was the best doff assignment ever. Now, mk12 purple stock consoles are garbage that sells for peanuts on the exchange. Even if you wanted to upgrade one, it would be better to start with a mk2.

Obviously, to make them useful again they would have to be used for producing something top-of-the-line again. Whether that simply means raising the quality from mk12 blues/purples to mk14 ultraviolet/gold, replacing the stock consoles with items that are otherwise hard to get or even entirely unique items not available anywhere else, would depend on just how much the devs care.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    Those artifacts used to be the ONLY way to get mk12 consoles. That's when NADORC was the best doff assignment ever. Now, mk12 purple stock consoles are garbage that sells for peanuts on the exchange. Even if you wanted to upgrade one, it would be better to start with a mk2.

Obviously, to make them useful again they would have to be used for producing something top-of-the-line again. Whether that simply means raising the quality from mk12 blues/purples to mk14 ultraviolet/gold, replacing the stock consoles with items that are otherwise hard to get or even entirely unique items not available anywhere else, would depend on just how much the devs care.

they weren't the only way; you could rarely get them as drops from level 51+ enemies too, which were only encountered in ker'rat/n'vak or in elite STFs (which, back then, were just the 3 borg ones)​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    They could form a catalyst in order to be able to change a modifier on an item.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    Whatever it is, I'd like to be able to do the same with my Computer Core Fragments and other associated bits and bobs I have in my bank that can't be used anymore..
  • Options
    seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    Used as a universal craft boost.
  • Options
    just giving this a small bump to see if anyone's had any added ideas for how to make alien artifacts relevant to STO again, and to remind the devs that these really do need to be made useful again, as they used to be a very interesting part of the doff system - interest which is now sorely lacking with the addition of admiralty, which is superior in almost every way​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    They're old style purple data samples. The old zoo of white, green and blue data samples can now be used and will convert to white, green, and blue R&D mats. It seems logical that these old purple data samples be converted into purple R&D mats when used.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I could see them being used in the crafting system to maybe apply some of the rep or lockbox weapon types to hanger-pets, omni-beams, and what not as a way of letting those that want to have a fully kitted out rep based ship have that option. As right now dual beam banks could use having a omni-beam variant that is tied to the rep-buff type thru crafting it with these, which is the same with hanger-pets. I also like the idea of needing a certain amount of them to re-roll a specific mod on a weapon.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    In fact, I still have several Powered Artefacts in my bank. To make them useful, just make the mission give XIV, and a Critical Success makes it Ultra Rare.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.