test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE MAINTENANCE AND RELEASE NOTES - MARCH 30, 2016

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
Tribble has been updated to: ST.60.20160319a.7.

New Feature:

Ship Visuals Slots:
  • Captains will now be able to equip Deflectors, Impulse Engines and Shields in the new Visuals tab to modify the visual appearance of the ship.
  • Equipping these items in the Visuals tab will not add any of their stats to the ship.
  • Any items equipped in these slots will override the visual appearance of the ship and cannot be changed until the item itself is taken out of the Visual slot.
  • The Visuals tab can be found on the Ship Status window next to the Loadouts tab.
  • The items equipped in the Visuals tab can also be saved in Loadouts.
  • For more details, please visit the New Visuals Slots blog at: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9888133-star-trek-online:-new-visual-slots

General:
  • Resolved an issue which was sometimes causing a crash when the skill window was opened.
  • Showfps now defaults to off.

Skill Revamp:
  • Fleet Skill Boosts have been updated:
    • All boosts have been correctly translated to give Skills that exist post-Revamp
    • Military Boosts have been renamed as Tactical Boosts
    • All boosts will now persist through death, map changes, and changing of ships
    • All existing boosts may now only be used in Space, and no longer grant Skill boosts to Ground skills
    • A new Ground Skill Boost has been added, which grants bonuses to all Ground Skills and may only be used on Ground.
    • The new Ground Skill Boost is unlocked at the same rate as Tactical Boosts, and costs Military Buff provisions (same as Tactical Boosts)
    • All applicable descriptions have been updated to reflect this updated functionality
  • Updated descriptions on Diplomatic Immunity and Marauding Force, to remove references to Driver Coil.
  • Consoles that boost Starship Perception no longer use the [CtrlX] mod, but instead display as [Per]
  • Warp Cores that previously boosted Driver Coil no longer use the [Coi] mod, but instead display as [SecSpd]
  • Updated the new Skills Tutorial to state that Ultimate abilities unlock at 24 points spent (instead of 25)
  • Renamed all references to "Combat Maneuvers" as "Defensive Maneuvering" to match updated naming conventions
  • Added missing % symbols to descriptions of Defensive Maneuvering and Targeting Expertise
  • Removed references to Shield Regeneration and Shield Resilience Skills, in the descriptions for Defensive Subsystems Tuning and Shields Subsystem Tuning
  • Offensive Coordination and Defensive Coordination now include descriptions of their effects on non-Hangar teammates
  • Repaired some bad grammar in the descriptions of Drain Infection
  • Repaired some bad grammar in the descriptions of Shield Mastery
  • More updates made to the UI and icons.
  • There is now a section for "Innate Skills" listed on the status page under both Ground and Space that reflects the few Skills that characters gain naturally via level progression.
  • Doctor Duty Officer that increases Max HP on use of healing now grants as much benefit as previously available with 100 Medic skill
  • Ultimate abilities have had their recharge timers reduced to 90 seconds.
  • Resolved an issue that was preventing purchase of the first of 3 Ultimate Enhancements in each unlock path.
  • Removed references to Crew from both "Brace for Impact" and "Ramming Speed"
  • Resolved an issue that was preventing Shield Hardness skill from correctly improving the damage your shields negate.
  • Resolved an issue that was causing ranks in Defensive Maneuvering to inconsistently apply, and update exceedingly slowly.
  • "Threat Control" has been moved from the 5-point Engineering Unlock, to the 5-point Tactical Unlock.
  • "Hangar Health" has been moved from the 5-point Tactical Unlock, to the 5-point Engineering Unlock.
  • Increased damage dealt by the cloud left behind by Plasma Emission Torpedo by 50% in order to compensate for lesser scaling from Exotic Particle Generators.

Known Issues:
  • The Skill System Revamp is still a work in progress:
    • There may be lingering mentions of “Crew” on reward packs and other items.
  • The Strategist Secondary Skill is still a work in progress.
  • The ships Visuals Tab is still a work in progress.
  • The Romulan Republic Admiralty Campaign is still a work in progress.

Comments

• Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    interesting changes
  • Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    Warp Cores that previously boosted Driver Coil no longer use the [Coi] mod, but instead display as [SecSpd]

Sadly all Epic engines get this x2. Most of us that upgraded our set engines to epic did it for the faster full impulse speeds and better sub-system power. Sector speed boost is useless on Rom or Iconian engines.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Ultimate abilities have had their recharge timers reduced to 90 seconds.
    wasn't this done last patch? or didn't it go through on that one despite being in the notes?
    Increased damage dealt by the cloud left behind by Plasma Emission Torpedo by 50% in order to compensate for lesser scaling from Exotic Particle Generators.

so, this here is official confirmation that the plasma cloud IS supposed to scale off partigens...yet, i thought if a damage proc comes from a weapon activation (which this does) it wasn't considered exotic - has that changed, or is this just a singular exception?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    PeP has always been an exception
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    so, this here is official confirmation that the plasma cloud IS supposed to scale off partigens...yet, i thought if a damage proc comes from a weapon activation (which this does) it wasn't considered exotic - has that changed, or is this just a singular exception?​​

It doesn't come from the weapon though. The weapon would be the torp, which in turn creates another object, the cloud. That cloud does the actual damage through a plasma proc.
    Bort said somewhere that only direct weapon procs won't benefit from PartGens, which this isn't. The Grav torp, for example, should also scale with part gens. The radiation proc from the neutronic shouldn't, and doesnt, as far as i know.
  • Options
    belisariusdbelisariusd Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    atlmykl wrote: »
    Warp Cores that previously boosted Driver Coil no longer use the [Coi] mod, but instead display as [SecSpd]

Sadly all Epic engines get this x2. Most of us that upgraded our set engines to epic did it for the faster full impulse speeds and better sub-system power. Sector speed boost is useless on Rom or Iconian engines.

Yeah this is particularly aggravating. I don't even use my Iconian engines in sector space because MACO and Assimilated impulse engines are superior, so all that dilithium was literally for nothing.

Edit: wait a second, I think you and I both read this as "engines" not "warp cores." The point stands if the tribble note meant engines instead of warp cores... I'm not sure which warp cores get Driver Coil boosts.

Edit #2: yeah, the patch notes are incorrect; they say warp core but mean impulse engine, so our complaint remains relevant.
    Post edited by belisariusd on
  • Options
    kasrakenkasraken Member Posts: 213 Bug Hunter
    Increased damage dealt by the cloud left behind by Plasma Emission Torpedo by 50% in order to compensate for lesser scaling from Exotic Particle Generators.

The cloud does not happen off weapon activation, it is a result of the torpedo exploding. Fire the torpedo and miss your target to see if the cloud happens off of activation.

I hope this was helpful in clarifying how this works?
    MacoShield_zpsus2ux3rw.png
    Operational Support Team
    Squishing Bugs for a better future
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Looks like the unlock paths are good and most everything else is shaping up nicely. Thanks for the hard work team!
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer

I thought about changing it, and may still do so at a later point in time. But as I've said before, the Skill Revamp is striving to bring parity between what was, and what is. It's not just being used as an excuse to change stuff.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User

This is a bit worrying. Driver Coil doesn't just boost sector space speed, but also impulse speeds in system.

Yeah this is particularly aggravating. I don't even use my Iconian engines in sector space because MACO and Assimilated impulse engines are superior, so all that dilithium was literally for nothing.

Edit: wait a second, I think you and I both read this as "engines" not "warp cores." The point stands if the tribble note meant engines instead of warp cores... I'm not sure which warp cores get Driver Coil boosts.

Edit #2: yeah, the patch notes are incorrect; they say warp core but mean impulse engine, so our complaint remains relevant.

Not so fast. Driver Coil itself is not strictly sector space. The official description-
    Driver Coil
    Lieutenant (Tier 1)

This skill improves your Starship Warp Speed and turn rate in Sector Space. Additionally, this skill improves your Full Impulse speed and Full Impulse turn rate while simultaneously reducing the power drain on your other systems while at Full Impulse speed.

So if they take the coil off of the warp cores, then it still detracts from the overall full impulse speed boosts applied in system space.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    captaind3 wrote: »

This is a bit worrying. Driver Coil doesn't just boost sector space speed, but also impulse speeds in system.

Not so fast. Driver Coil itself is not strictly sector space. The official description-
    Driver Coil
    Lieutenant (Tier 1)

This skill improves your Starship Warp Speed and turn rate in Sector Space. Additionally, this skill improves your Full Impulse speed and Full Impulse turn rate while simultaneously reducing the power drain on your other systems while at Full Impulse speed.

So if they take the coil off of the warp cores, then it still detracts from the overall full impulse speed boosts applied in system space.

I don't think we're in disagreement, and in hindsight I suspect this is not a new change (I'm pretty sure this was also true in past versions of Tribble, we just didn't notice). The key takeaway, though, is the old [Drv] mod has become [SecSpd], and the consequence is that the mod has lost its usefulness in most circumstances, and retains only its value in sector space.

This makes the mod effectively pointless, since even with the [SecSpd-2] mod that epic impulse engines receive, they still will make for a slower starship in sector space than impulse engines like M.A.C.O. or Assimilated... meaning that upgrading, for instance, the Iconian engines to Epic - as many of us has done - provides no benefit to speak of.

The epic upgrade for impulse engines, [SecSpd-2], which previously as [Drv2] was valuable outside of sector space, is now effectively pointless, and the resources we may have spent pursuing those upgrades wasted.
  • Options
    eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Perhaps the epic engine mod can include something that compensates for this change as well - maybe more engine power or simply a full impulse speed boost like existing engine mods already provide.
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    This probably won't be an issue live, but It seems that unlock bubbles weren't reset with this change, so you're stuck with selections you didn't do...

It isn't in the notes, but it seems that unlock pop-ups don't disappear if you move the mouse out of them now. EDIT: I figured it out now, they behave as before if you just hover the mouse over them and stay open until you click outside if you actually click on the bubble. That's a definite improvement, thanks.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

I thought about changing it, and may still do so at a later point in time. But as I've said before, the Skill Revamp is striving to bring parity between what was, and what is. It's not just being used as an excuse to change stuff.

Please don't. Unless you want another piece of equipment no one uses + even more upset science people. PEP is only useful because of it's plasma cloud and how Particle Generators boost it.
  • Options
    captaind3 wrote: »

Driver Coil
    Lieutenant (Tier 1)

I don't think we're in disagreement, and in hindsight I suspect this is not a new change (I'm pretty sure this was also true in past versions of Tribble, we just didn't notice). The key takeaway, though, is the old [Drv] mod has become [SecSpd], and the consequence is that the mod has lost its usefulness in most circumstances, and retains only its value in sector space.

This makes the mod effectively pointless, since even with the [SecSpd-2] mod that epic impulse engines receive, they still will make for a slower starship in sector space than impulse engines like M.A.C.O. or Assimilated... meaning that upgrading, for instance, the Iconian engines to Epic - as many of us has done - provides no benefit to speak of.

The epic upgrade for impulse engines, [SecSpd-2], which previously as [Drv2] was valuable outside of sector space, is now effectively pointless, and the resources we may have spent pursuing those upgrades wasted.

I hadn't noticed, that's troublesome too if it was already done.

Well, it's good we're bringing it up now, they can't catch everything.
    eldritchx wrote: »
    Perhaps the epic engine mod can include something that compensates for this change as well - maybe more engine power or simply a full impulse speed boost like existing engine mods already provide.

Agreed. It's not impossible to fix.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    It might be worth pointing out for this discussion that Driver Coil did not previously allow you to exceed 9.99 Warp Speed, but the new Sector Travel Speed modifier does allow it.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    It might be worth pointing out for this discussion that Driver Coil did not previously allow you to exceed 9.99 Warp Speed, but the new Sector Travel Speed modifier does allow it.

That is useful information, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem. Unless sector speed scales dramatically with the new [SecSpd] skill, the Assimilated engine which sets base speed to Warp 14 will still outperform even a fully upgraded epic impulse engine with the [SecSpd-2] modifier.

Prior to the changeover, the only reason to upgrade impulse engines to epic was because the [Drv2] skill also provided some benefits outside of sector space; those benefits are now gone. There's no reason to spend tens of thousands of refined dilithium to upgrade the Iconian engines to epic when you could spend a fraction of that dilithium to purchase the Assimilated engines instead.

Edit: having said all this, I actually don't think this is or should be a dev priority. It's not broken, it's just mildly annoying and there are no doubt things that deserve more attention during the run-up to the skill revamp. (Personally I'd rather see attention on combining energy and torpedo skills to make canon loadouts more practical). This can always be addressed later, if it's deemed important enough.
    Post edited by belisariusd on
  • Options
    neogabi1neogabi1 Member Posts: 31 Arc User

That is definitely good information to have and it is potentially useful, it just doesn't solve the underlying issue of them not affecting System Space travel anymore. I am curious, however, whether these bonuses to sector space travel stack with the bonuses given by the Assimilated/MACO engines.
    Team Fencebane - All Adventure, No Direction!
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    •"Threat Control" has been moved from the 5-point Engineering Unlock, to the 5-point Tactical Unlock.
    •"Hangar Health" has been moved from the 5-point Tactical Unlock, to the 5-point Engineering Unlock.

As promised, I declare the unlocks...

Golden :grin:
  • Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    So my epic Iconian engines let me travel at....warp 10.4 That is what the epic bonus actually gives you.

So I still swap out for assimilated engines for the rare time I need fast sector speed (almost never) and now have a worthless epic upgrade on my Rom and Iconian engines that give no bonus when at full impulse, which is used far more.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I did notice that (and I like it a lot as I live for Transwarp speeds), but my concern was in the system space full impulse speeds and turn rates, not the sector space.

That is useful information, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem. Unless sector speed scales dramatically with the new [SecSpd] skill, the Assimilated engine which sets base speed to Warp 14 will still outperform even a fully upgraded epic impulse engine with the [SecSpd-2] modifier.

Prior to the changeover, the only reason to upgrade impulse engines to epic was because the [Drv2] skill also provided some benefits outside of sector space; those benefits are now gone. There's no reason to spend tens of thousands of refined dilithium to upgrade the Iconian engines to epic when you could spend a fraction of that dilithium to purchase the Assimilated engines instead.

Edit: having said all this, I actually don't think this is or should be a dev priority. It's not broken, it's just mildly annoying and there are no doubt things that deserve more attention during the run-up to the skill revamp. (Personally I'd rather see attention on combining energy and torpedo skills to make canon loadouts more practical). This can always be addressed later, if it's deemed important enough.

As far as things I'd like to see them focus on, setting specializations to be region specific (ground and space grouped) would be my top priority.
    So my epic Iconian engines let me travel at....warp 10.4 That is what the epic bonus actually gives you.

So I still swap out for assimilated engines for the rare time I need fast sector speed (almost never) and now have a worthless epic upgrade on my Rom and Iconian engines that give no bonus when at full impulse, which is used far more.

My dream has always been that sector space speeds would be wholly migrated over to warp cores but that's a dream for another day.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for putting the FPS thingy automatically in the OFF position.

Thank You also for putting in the ON position to begin with... I never knew it existed and learned something new because of it.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User

Please don't. It's a science boat's dream toy.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Yes, most weapons used on science boats are used primarily because they scale with or pair well with science powers and skills. Please don't change this.
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    Can someone please tell me when BOFF skills are gonna be turned back on?

What do you mean by Boff Skills....

Boffs don't have skills in regard to the skill tree revamp.

If you mean Training Manuals... I didn't know they were turned off.

Can you clarify?
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    Can someone please tell me when BOFF skills are gonna be turned back on?

Sure. The clickable skills are not appearing for me. The boffs are trained, just not able to activate or slot any of their skills to the tray cause they don't come up in the hud. All the stations are gone on ship and shuttle.

Ahh, this sounds like a common Tribble bug. You have to swap two and from a ship to get your boff stations to show up the first time you copy a character. Been like that for as long as I can remember.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 120 Arc User

While true, it's already been pointed out that the benefit under the new system is miniscule (although present) and hardly seems worthwhile for an epic mod. Most epic mods have been designed to be quite desirable, and the current engine one is good enough that some, even many, of those who can afford it will push for it. I can't really see this happening for the new mod though, except on those few engines with a subtranswarp effect already.