test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you use Shooter Mode?

commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
I have recently converted to using shooter mode on certain characters (primarily tacs). As a person who plays a lot of shooters, it feels pretty awesome, but I have to say that it also feels really clunky. I've gotten around this with macros, but it feels to me like the devs didn't have a real endgame planned for the system, like they just threw it in there and that was it. It feels very unsupported, especially since some of the newer kit powers can basically block your entire view ( example link ).

That screenshot makes me feel like the devs literally forgot it existed.

Still, I feel like the mode has a ton of potential with proper support to it, something I see as necessary if PW ever wants to port this to console to break into that market.
♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪

Do you use Shooter Mode? 166 votes

No, this is an RPG.
35%
kirimuffinkojirohellfirethemartianvirusdanceroriginalboodahleadme2kirkperewingavinrunebladedabelgravemirrorchaostymerstothemetalstickmanzedbrightlander1kurumimorishitaphenomenaut01outerdemoncrypticarmsmankjwashingtonmeldrithpwreginamala78 59 votes
I would like to, but no, it is too clunky.
29%
reiklingraiderhojain2020f9thretxcduncanidaho11deokkentkimonynyxadrilltinead51stuntpilotvakna4837hyplfleetadmiraltacoblitzy4bloodyrizwast33eldarion79narthaisianto3084shadowwraith77onehalfklingon 49 votes
Yes, on some characters.
4%
commanderkassyjkbennett2008artan42neuro1gcapnmanxrobyvisionechattyfanninpoop 8 votes
Yes, on all characters.
30%
aduinfinrod1justjoe12345123fusteriustcgrandpa#3038shpokstehbubbaloooldravenman3025nickdeamrco019agentdunnsmeeinn1tjosan369kaiserkactocidjackalexmakepeacequesteriusswamarianarabaturtarastheslayerroyalsovereignsquatforme 50 votes

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Maybe you should change the answers to simple yes or no. I would vote "No", but "This is an RPG" is not the reason for it.

I used it when the crossfire season aired for a bit, but the only advantage is that you can "blindfire", including throwing grenades. But the downsides really outweigh that and for years I don't use it anymore. RPG mode is more precise, grants a better overview and doesn't break as easily. The "shooter mode" is a fun experiment, but it doesn't really work with the engine.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    afaik they already stated that pure shooter mechanics are like impossible to implement :(...
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    I always use shooter mode, although it could use some improvement. Currently RPG mode is far to effective in comparison.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Currently RPG mode is far to effective in comparison.
    my thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    I exclusively use shooter mode in ground combat, even with the problems of SFX making it neigh impossible to see who I'm shooting at. With RPG mode, I can rarely target something by clicking on it, and using tab seems to select random targets. (It's especially frustrating in space, where Tab loves to target ships more than 10 KM away, rather than the solar portal RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY SHIP!)
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    i cant imagine using anything other than shooter mode.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    swamarian wrote: »
    I exclusively use shooter mode in ground combat, even with the problems of SFX making it neigh impossible to see who I'm shooting at. With RPG mode, I can rarely target something by clicking on it, and using tab seems to select random targets. (It's especially frustrating in space, where Tab loves to target ships more than 10 KM away, rather than the solar portal RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY SHIP!)

I am not entirely sure, but I think you can remap the key in the options menu. There are keys to target nearest enemy, enemy attacking you, nearest ally etc.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    this is a hard one to answer but basically for combat the answer is no however for when you are doing the flying high mission during the summer event the shooter mode is ideal to get that extra bit of precision steering and control you need for negotiating the tight turns, you just point the target in the direction you want to go, I also find it quite useful when doing the powerboard race for the same reason.

I have often thought that a downhill ski race in the winter event would be cool and the shooter mode would be ideal for this also.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I gave up on one of the other Perfect World/Cryptic games, because I couldn't change it from a shooter mode-esque perspective...it was really annoying.
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    I'd like to, since it would provide a change of pace, but I find that activating abilities is overly difficult.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Not anymore. I often play medics when I'm playing ground missions. Healing someone else is almost impossible if people have too erratic movements, in places where players are everywhere around you like in Bug hunt or if an enemy gets between you and your teammate.

Add to that that certain enemies like in the Voth battlezone sometimes become invisible, giving you no choice but to use standard mode.

The only times I use it is when I want to shoot multiple enemies at the same time. Like in Infected ground, if you want to shoot two worker drones at the same time, shooter mode can be useful to make sure you're at the right angle. I also use it sometimes when I'm approaching an enemy that's a bit further away, since it can be easier at times to see if you're within firing range when you're in shooter mode.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    I would use shooter mode if you'd actually benefit from good aim. The way it's implementent it doesn't make any difference where you hit. I'd love to see something like 100% crit chance when you hit someones head. But no, all that shooter mode does is making your enemies harder to hit since you have aim instead of spamming 1 button.

Cryptic needs to add some benefits to shooter mode so that it can compete with rpg mode. But well, that's not going to happen I guess since they can't sell it.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    No, this is an RPG.
    wast33 wrote: »
    afaik they already stated that pure shooter mechanics are like impossible to implement :(...
    i voted no for that reason.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes, on all characters.
    I use "shooter mode" on all my toons. I tried "RPG mode", but I absolutely did not like using it all even after devoting a lot of time to it.

I do not really play 3rd person games with the exception of the Mass Effect trilogy and Dragon Age: Origins. Looking forward to the Mass Effect game. But for now just counting down the days for Fallout 4.
    Post edited by jaguarskx on
  • Options
    Yes, on all characters.
    risian4 wrote: »
    Not anymore. I often play medics when I'm playing ground missions. Healing someone else is almost impossible if people have too erratic movements, in places where players are everywhere around you like in Bug hunt or if an enemy gets between you and your teammate.

I have my keys mapped so I can switch quickly between shooter mode and RPG mode just in case I need to target allies easily, but it woudl really be nice for shooter mode to get some features making this easier to do without leaving the mode.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    No, this is an RPG.
    Its useful for making sure I have the correct target when tabbing in a crowded environment (goddamn Heralds, HOLD STILL), but otherwise I need my mouse free for activating stuff anyways. Its an RPG based on an intellect-driven IP, not some drain bamaged action shooter.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yes, on all characters.
    Its an RPG based on an intellect-driven IP, not some drain bamaged action shooter.

Your opinion is noted. Your Logic is flawed.

In the shows, when characters do shoot their ground weapons, do they point and shoot or press a button on a keyboard they magically carry around everywhere?

Just because YOU prefer RPG mode does not give you license to insult Shooter mode, especially when you're using said quoted "logic"

• Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes, on all characters.
    I use shooter mode, but not all the time.

For placing my sci AE powers and grenades, it certainly has its uses. I also sometimes experiment with healing that way. While it is beyond frustrating to miss a heal, years upon years of click-casting my heals in WoW leaves me abhorring the standard UI for healing.

Also, sometimes I use it simply because not aiming my gun when I fire gets really boring after a while...

Edit: So far as using my mouse to click things, I use a G600, so I already have the 1-0 keys bound on the mouse, and simply using the default STO keybinds and modifier keys gives me access to all of my visible hotkeys already. Before the G600 I would still use hotkeys, but I would have had to rebind my controls.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    Yes, on all characters.
    kimmym wrote: »
    Also, sometimes I use it simply because not aiming my gun when I fire gets really boring after a while...

Exactly why I use shooter mode. For targeting teammates I have my keys bound for quick swapping of modes, but I normally build my medics more as buffers with aoe abilities which affect anyone near me.

• Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    I used shooter mode since its release , been using it , it would be very difficult for me to play in RPG mode exclusively now . though i admit i switch back and forth between the 2 .
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    Yes, on some characters.
    praxi5 wrote: »
    I'd like to, since it would provide a change of pace, but I find that activating abilities is overly difficult.

I set up macros that activate different groups of powers. I have one macro I mash and it activates my tactical buffs, another that activates my self heals, and another that hits my PBAoE powers. So it's just 3 buttons next to my arrow keys (yes I use those) and it makes it really easy to use shooter mode.. except you know the fact when I buff myself I can't see past my gun anymore :p
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No, this is an RPG.
    I use shooter mode to fly the floater mission one-handed on Risa, so I can have breakfast at the same time.

And sometimes to throw grenades/orbital strike/exothermal field/etc on the ground just for laughs.

Never for actual combat.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No, this is an RPG.
    Never in combat. The way I fight makes it nigh impossible to use. I generally use pulsewaves with a "strafing run" style of combat, and if I'm using a longer-ranged weapon, I fall back and let my boffs close and tangle with the enemies, which means either way, I almost never have a clear shot at the enemies.

I do use shooter mode for things like the Flying High mission or the powerboard race. Also if I want to check out a new weapon without having to get in combat, I go to a combat-enabled area like Nimbus III or the Dyson ground battlezone and fire my weapon in shooter mode to see what happens.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    Its a nice feature but looks terrible when the beam and rifle just dont align well.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The only time I use shooter mode is when I want to use the grenade glitch at the start of IGA, or if I want to blind fire at something I can't target with the mouse. Otherwise, I'm RPG mode all the way.

EDIT

Imo, you missed off an option in the poll. The "Only if I need to" option.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    No, this is an RPG.
    The perspective and motion of shooter mode nauseate me. I cannot look at it for more than about ten minutes before needing to hold back vomit.

I occasionally pop into shooter mode to take the right sniper shot. But other than that I completely avoid it and would be forced to stop playing the game if it were the primary mode.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    Yes, I use it on all characters in certain situations. But for just running around and doing daily business/simple quests? No, I don't use it. Combat and powerboards/floaters would be a couple of examples of when I use the shooter feature.
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    No, this is an RPG.
    I hate shooter mode in any game.

I don't play first person shooter games.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    Yes, on all characters.
    I use shooter mode all the time as I just can't do the ground combat without using it and find running around so much easier. I don't find it clunky at all although I did map the B button to a button on my mouse which makes switching in and out much easier. My real issue with it is that I've run into what I think is a bug with dual pistols. The second power seem to get locked up and won't fire but I haven't thoroughly tried testing it in rpg mode as I just find that mode to "clunky" lol... And this is from a guy who doesn't really play shooter type games at all.

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    A part of me wishes the ground segments played like Elite Force. I did get ground to work with my Xbox controller a while back, but I quickly lost interest.