What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Literary Challenge #12

takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
OK, time for Unofficial Literary Challenge #12 - you know the drill!! :D

Someone To Remember Them By - takeshi6

In the past, be it distant or recent, your character was in a relationship with another. Then their lover died, either in battle, through assassination, or they gave up their life to save your character's.

However, after they died, your character discovers their lover left them one final gift: a child. The way this gift is left can vary, from your character discovering that they're pregnant with the child (females only, and most likely with a male lover), the child has already been born, albeit only a week earlier at the most (male characters with female lovers), or they somehow foresaw their death and left behind a sample of genetic material that could be used to create the child (any character with any lover).

Write a short story about the discovery of this final gift, the child's birth, or about some future point in the child's life.

Misplaced - proteusrex

One morning, your Captain notices that something is missing from his/her quarters. Casually mentioning it during breakfast, you discover that other people are missing things too. For the most part it's nothing critical an old power cell, a coil of decorative metal, an crystal statue, nothing of consequence. But while reviewing the list, your chief engineer starts seeing connections. Though abstract, some of the items could be put together to build something else, power supplies, scanners, even weapons. Is there a kleptomaniac on the cleaning crew? or is something more sinister going on?

Bad Intelligence - moonshadowdark

"Before your crew can enter the Delta Quadrant, your faction has insisted upon you taking a new bridge officer, designation "Intelligence". This officer's job is to gather intel on the Delta Quadrant and report to "Command". You have a suspicion that this new officer may be a spy, which is an ethical quandary of epic proportions. How do you deal with a crew member you cannot trust?"

Rules as usual--nothing NSFW, one story per author per prompt.

The discussion thread is here.

Index of previous ULCs:
ULC 1: The Kobayashi Maru.
ULC 2: Time After Time.
ULC 3: The Next Generation of Tribbles with Darkest Moments.
ULC 4: The Return of the Revenge of the Unofficial LC of DOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!.
ULC 5: Back from the Dead?
ULC 6: Gods of lower decks in wintry timelines.
ULC 7: Skippy's List: Starfleet Edition.
ULC 8: Revisit to a Weird Game, One of One.
ULC 9: In Memory of Spock.
ULC 10: Redux
ULC 11: Delta Recruit
76561198160276582.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The Intrepid-class U.S.S. Crucial sat at out in orbit of the Takarian home world. Scores of Starfleet officers beamed back to the ship, including Captain's Menrow, Reynolds and Iviok.

"Well, that was a close one," Menrow said, entering the Bridge. "Good thing you overloaded those already overloading thought devices to release the block on our transporters."

Iviok nodded. "The trick was increasing its power-- A technique I like to call 'Giving 'er all she's got'. But, seriously, why'd you wait the whole turbolift ride to re-explain what we already knew?"

"He's fulfilling our explain-quota," Reynolds elucidated. "All us Captain's have a pre-determined amount to fill by the end of 2410."

Menrow approached his Captain's chair. "Let's just hope it doesn't drag on like 2409 did." He then turned to them. "Anyway, we need to re-open that wormhole for the Crucial and return you to your ships. Having us all together in one thing is confusing and 'too out there'."

Iviok and Reynolds nodded and re-entered the turbolift to get to work. Menrow's senior staff exited the turbolift and took their posts on the Bridge.

"Captain Menrow," Hatcha opened. "Your orders? And may they be for us to take showers? It seems our preoccupation with cultural imperialism exceeded our basic occupation for hygiene."

Menrow shook his head. "I want this to serve as a reminder to us. Never are we to shower again! Never forget!"

"Sir, your yelling has negated the observation that we are being approached by a specially-converted probe, off the port bow," Grunley reported, taking the Tactical station.

The Captain turned to him. "There was no negating; I just feel strongly about speaking loudly."

"The probe appears to have two persons inside of it? Like some kind of man, or woman, sized birthday cake?" Hatcha read from her Science console.

Menrow nodded. "An apt analogy. Beam the two onto the Bridge. Seriously, what's the point of a Transporter room when we can beam people anywhere?"

"Greetings," a female Klingon rematerialized in front of everyone. Next to her was a young boy, half-Klingon, half-Human. "My name is Treth. I am an ex-mate of yours and I have been searching for the Crucial."

The Human Captain acknowledged her. "How'd you get here so fast, not to mention even knowing where we were??"

"Rumors and such. As for the expediency, my probe has been retrofitted with a negotiation-voice, monotone speaker that books its own passage on transport and cargo ships all throughout the galaxy," she clarified. "For me, I chose the probe way, as that is the traditional ex-Klingon lover way to reach a man; a-la K'Ehleyr."

Menrow sized her up, "Ah, Klingon females; tougher to conquest than the Tzenkethi."

"Do you have any idea how long I've been stuck in that probe, Menrow? The purpose being that the honorable thing to do was to introduce you to your son, Feng," she gestured and glanced over to the boy. "ghuy'cha'! He was just a little baby when I last saw him??"

Feng looked up at her, now appearing to be several years older. "I've grown, mother."

"And you can talk??" her jaw dropped.

Captain Menrow looked at the two of them, "Ah, the baby mama situation; classic. But, I'm going to be honest. I don't remember you."

"Yes, I'm well aware of your promiscuous nature. But I was the one who was responsible for your leg requiring amputation after a fierce love-making session. There was a whole sad episode about the repercussions, and you, out-genre bonding with a hologram named Vic," Treth explained.

Menrow shook his head. "No, I mean, my mind was previously switched out for a very long time by a Traveler named Wayfar. I lived in the 28th century, aboard Spacedock, but they called it Starbase 001 for some reason. Then, when Wayfar returned me, a long time later, another version of myself had accomplished so much in my absence. I suspect interactions with that-me were very bland and doll-like."

"That is what attracted me to you! Your blank-Lal-like stares!"

Hatcha slammed her fists on her console. "Wayfar has been nothing but trouble! It's his constant mind-switching, the second of which gave our bodies to that Ferengi crew, that led to the destruction of several Starfleet ships!"

"Despite those deaths," Menrow approached the two Klingons, "And, perhaps, their occurrence as a necessity, I am finally willing to take on the responsibility of being a father."

Treth pulled her son away. "What? No way! Not if it wasn't actually you? I had plans for my son's life, but put them on-hold for honor. But, now, as that said-honor isn't necessary, I am free to return to do my doings and so on! Sorry, I couldn't be more specific."

"He has my DNA??"

The Klingon shook her head. "Doesn't matter! It wasn't you. Am I right, Menrow's lackeys?"

"This seems like a complicated question. Can we start a new thread? Is there a mod that can watch its progression?" Hatcha asked.

Treth spat at them. "Forget it! As I said, honor is not necessary here; and for love, no one could make a life with an indiscriminate man like you. See the Kirk articles at Memory Alpha for details. --Come, my son. We shall return to the cramped probe of which our spines do not forgive."

"Yes, mother," Feng replied.

The Klingon's eyes widened at her child. "I seriously will not get used to that." She then slapped her wrist communicator and the two transported away, in a red flurry. The probe, on screen, then cloaked out of sight.

"Sorry about your loss, Captain," Hatcha offered, "But, it appears Iviok and Reynolds were able to reopen the Barzan wormhole."

Menrow sighed. "Well, perhaps Treth has a point about my ways. Then again, that very same nature can procure more oddly-mixed young, if I'm not mistaken? This time, consciously? --Now, helm, set a non-phallic course for the wormhole!"
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The Centaur-class U.S.S. Jenova watched as the Barzan wormhole opened just outside Vandor IV. The Crucial exited and transported Iviok and Reynolds back to the Jenova.

"Ah, wormholes; the waste-extraction pipelines of the galaxy," Iviok commented while the two of them entered the Excelsior-class-looking Bridge. "Did I miss anything while I was away?"

Caveat, the Chief engineer, got out of his chair. "It looks like the Orions evacuated the vicinity. Likely due to the might of our 23rd century-esque, Tier 1 starship."

"That's what I like to hear; continued delusion," Iviok patted him on his shoulder. "But it's more likely the Jade Fox called off the whole operation. Well, at least Reynolds and I were able to force re-open the Barzan wormhole using calculations of time warp!"

Gondi spoke up, from his tactical console, "Actually, the lab on Vandor IV is reporting that whatever space-time manipulations you have done has caused the recent fixations to dissipate, and never return."

"What?! That means the Jenolan Dyson Sphere is our only Delta Quadrant access??" Reynolds cursed. "Which means more forced interactions with that long-winded bore, Ethan Burgess. Uggh. Let me know when we've reached the Hijinx."

Iviok nodded before Reynolds left the Bridge. He then turned to his crew. "I'll be in my Ready Room, going through our daily damage reports. Remember-- if the ship isn't dented, then it might as well be rented."

---

Not long later, the doorbell to Captain Iviok's ready room toned, and Caveat was let in. The Andorian was working on some devices on his desk.

"Okay, I don't know jack about the 24th century, but everybody out there thinks staying here and fighting the Borg is suicide!" Caveat cut straight to the point. "They're just afraid to say it to your blue face."

Iviok looked at him, perplexed. "Huh? You know we aren't scheduled to confront the Borg for at least two weeks? And it's the 25th century?"

"Ah," Caveat snapped his fingers in realization. "Forgot. --What I meant to start with was that recent reports from around the ship have detailed the missing of several unimportant items: a hyper-spanner here, a Mirror Universe transporter device there..."

The Andorian Captain put down his pieces. "All things you can find on a starship. --Wait. Was that me? That may have been me?"

"No," Caveat answered, examining at his desk mess. "You appear to have half the parts to an exocomp; those lovable futuristic roombas. --No, you see, someone's been stealing specific unremarkable items from around the ship for some greater reason. But, what for, I fear to know."

Iviok stood up. "Then there's only one way to find out. We have to look at what they took and build what they're building before they can!"

"Seems reasonable," Caveat replied.

---

Later, in the Jenova's Engineering, Iviok and Caveat stood around an unrecognizable tall, mechanical mash-up.

"So... what is it?" Iviok asked, sharing a loss for answers.

Caveat looked. "It's, uhh, it's green."

"It's yellow!" Iviok countered.

Caveat shook his head out of it. "Right; of course. I was having an Engineer flash back. --Should we activate this thing, without testing of any kind?"

"You know the answer to that," Iviok replied. He then moved over to it and flicked a switch. It started shaking and emitting a bright, fantastical light.

Entering Engineering, the Starfleet Klingon first officer, Melyot, walked, carrying a similar device. "Aw! How'd you get yours working? All mine seems to do is dispense sarcastic remarks." He placed his device down and flicked its switch.

"Eat any good books lately?" the device spurted in the Computer's voice.

Meylot punched it. "You know I have!"

"Wait, Commander, so you're the one behind the tale of the stolen things all throughout the ship??" Iviok turned. "It was such a long and arduous mystery!"

The first officer turned to him. "I clearly specified what I was doing in a report I sent to you last week."

"Ah, that explains it. I used your reports to level my desk. --Engineer, you see; I solve problems." Iviok said, satisfied. "But why'd you try to build a thing that horribly transforms spatial harmonics?"

Suddenly, a Klingon female, named Treth beamed in from a cloaked probe, with her early-childhood-aged son, Feng. "Because he was trying to impress me!"

"Ah!? My online chat, possible-hookup??" Melyot reacted in shock.

Treth spat in his direction. "You fool! You couldn't even build a simple extradimensional transformation matrix! How could you expect a date??" She then turned to the others. "You see, I believe my son is the end-game Kuvah'magh of all Kuvah'maghs: the legendary Kuvah'Kugh'Heg'Meh'Mughehegh! He is said to exist outside the space-time continuum, in the future, and is foretold to bring about a new era of generalized events in the Klingon Empire."

"So, this device, carelessly cobbled together using second handed parts from a Tier 1, 23rd century-type, half-broken Centaur-class starship, transforms people into non-corporeal beings?" Iviok worked out.

The Klingon female spat at him, this time. "You fool! It will only work on my son, because he was born with delta series radioisotopes, of which he is immune. Also, you are continued fools because his transformation happened while we were talking, just now!"

"Hello, mother," a floating, glowing sparse of energy said in a calm voice.

Treth was taken aback. "Ah! --You know how that freaks me out! And the way you say it too; just weird."

"Curse Menrow's temporal-altered cells!" Iviok cursed to the side. "Also, how could you do this to a child?? They're the hair-spotted larvae of the humanoid condition."

The woman glared at him. "Beliefs! Beliefs are the cornerstone of strange sciencey-things. Well, from your perspective, at least. From mine, they're an annoying step from zero to prophecy." She then turned to her floating-energy son. "Come now, Feng. There is more to be done."

"Very well, mother," the energy said with a creepy sly tone. The two of them exited Engineering, with no one daring to stop them.

Iviok turned to his Chief Engineer. "The lesson here is, technological progress goes too absurd at times. And we are its constant facilitators."

"We need to be more careful," Caveat suggested.

Captain Iviok approached each, tall mashed-up device. "Agreed. For now, let's dismantle the spirit-making machine, but keep the sarcasm-making machine."

"You can't destroy me, anymore than you could win a beauty contest," the insulting device directed at Commander Melyot.

The Klingon punched it again. "taHqeq!!" He then sighed and accepted the facts. "I am going to my quarters to re-do my Klingon Dating Profile. If there really will be a new era of generalized events, then I must prepare to take my chances."

Iviok and Caveat watched as Melyot left Engineering, while simultaneously trying to fix his rowdy, out-of-control hair.
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Thel entered the Captain’s ready-room with a PADD in hand. The Andorian’s dour mood was obvious to Kathryn. She pushed her office chair back to stand for the report her Chief Engineer was prepared to make.

He looked to the PADD before speaking. “Captain, three days ago you mentioned to Lieutenant Taneki you had lost something from your quarters?”

Surprised by the question, Kathryn recalled the conversation with her Bajoran friend. “Well, yes. It was just a side comment though. I’m sure it will turn up eventually.”

“I understand, sir. What was it exactly?” He lifted his other hand to the PADD as if to capture Kathryn’s response for record.

“It was my favorite hair pin.”

Thel tapped on the display. “Please describe it.”

Kathryn raised an eyebrow. Thel was a very serious officer with his duties, yet she started to feel under some interrogation. “It … was long, about twelve centimeters, and metallic. Hand-crafted by an Risian and was a gift from a very good friend from our last lay-over.”

"Metal, I see.” More tapping.

“Commander, what’s going on?” She walked from behind her desk.

Thel looked to Kathryn. “May I use your wall console?”

Kathryn nodded and the Engineer activated the panel from his PADD. Listed on the screen were several items attached to crewmember names. The list scrolled slowly and Kathryn recognized the items immediately. “These are personal items. Wait, some are from the ship itself?”

Nodding, Thel replied, “exactly. All of these have gone missing over the past week. At first I overheard mumblings from the team. It wasn’t until my Guard service pin disappeared that I started to pay attention and ask questions. Scuttlebutt turned to coincidence … and then a pattern.”

At his command, several items on the list were highlighted. “Captain, I believe these items can be manipulated into crafting some … tool or device.”

“Like what?”

“I’m not sure, but the dimensions, materials, and other properties suggest they are useful to that end. I’m concerned we have a thief or a spy within the crew.”

Kathryn looked skeptical. “Thel, I need something more convincing.”

Thel raised a hand to his chin and thought for several seconds. “Our last crew exchange happened over two months ago in the Paradan system. Our last stop was one week ago at the Markia III colony. If we have a spy, then they have been biding their time until now. If it’s just a thief, then they are breaking several regulations in a short amount of time. Unless –“

Kathryn interrupted Thel with eyes widened. “Computer, how many crew are scheduled on board USS Solaris at the current stardate?”

The soft female voice responded, seven hundred forty seven.

“How many lifeforms are currently present on board Solaris?”

A few seconds passed before a small chirp sounded. “Seven hundred forty eight.[/i]

+++

Kathryn activated the wall console while gripping her phaser pistol tighter. The display revealed a tactical schematic of Deck Fourteen. Imposed were several blue dots representing the crew; some dots moved while others were stationary. A cluster of five dots huddled at the security gate between stellar cartography and the enlisted personnel living quarters. Kathryn knew that was her location and could see the security team looking up and down the corridor from the reflection on the console. A lone yellow dot was added and was in the Jefferies Tube between sections three and four, not moving.

“Okay, if we can corral the intruder along this ventral section, then he’ll either be trapped in the Tube or he’ll be trapped in Cargo Bay One. Either way we’ll have it cornered.” She looked to each of the security officers assembled with her. “Bosk move from port-side, Trenu from starboard and Cremeans from stern. Bur’ar and I will head to CB1. Set phasers to stun and shoot if provoked. Good luck.”

The team adjusted their weapons, then split up.

+++

Inside Cargo Bay One, Kathryn and Bur’ar stood near the Jefferies Tube hatch with raised phaser pistols. The locks hissed and the door swung open. A large ball of brown fur fell and clanked as it contacted the floor. Not expecting that, the Starfleet officers took a step back but did not lower their weapons.

Kathryn whispered to Bur’ar, “a Markian.”

Unraveling itself, the humanoid creature pushed the Tube door closed, wiped at its fur, and then sighed. Turning into the cavernous cargo bay, it stopped at the sight of Kathryn and her Klingon Security Chief then raised its hands to surrender.

“Oh. <Ch> Hello.”

Kathryn was reminded of an Earth prairie dog with large ears. It stood just over one meter tall, whose fur flowed grw from head to feet. Wearing a shirt and shirts with a large work belt and bandolier, both straps had numerous pouches that looked full. Based on the bulges on its chest, Kathryn surmised the Markian was female.

Lowering her pistol, Kathryn took a step forward. “Greetings. You are on board the Federation starship Solaris. I am Captain Kathryn Beringer. What’s your name?”

The large ears twitched a little. “<Ch>Tarkap.”

“Okay. What are you doing aboard my ship?”

“<Ch>Would you believe sight-seeing?”

Kathryn shook her head.

“<Ch>Me neither.”

“I see. Well, you are a stowaway on my ship and very far from home. Why?”

Tarkap‘s short muzzle trembled before she spoke. “<Ch> It is a long story.”

Kathryn crossed her arms. “Humor me.”

The Markian placed her arms behind her back and walked a few paces thoughtfully along the wall. “<Ch>Over the septirs, my kind have traveled the stars on other ships. We forage to find parts that will allow us to make a talker. <Ch>It is test of our cleverness. Sending message home proves our skill. Finding way back home is another test.” Tarkap looked back the Kathryn. “<Ch>You see, rite of passage?”

Nodding, Kathryn looked to Bur’ar quickly. After a week of items went missing, it seemed silly to stop Tarkap’s progress. At the same time, she couldn’t allow the Markian to continue. “Are you close to finishing?”

Tarkap smiled wide. She opened a pouch and pulled out a piece of jewelry that looked like a Bolian broach. “<Ch>This color stone may be what I need. Want to see?”

“Yes, please.”

Bur’ar contacted the security team in the Tubes to stand down. The three walked over to a corner in the Cargo Bay. Tarkap pulled on a wall panel and lowered the plate. Reaching into the wall, she retrieved a motley device that looked more like a pile of trash that anything useful. She fixed the broach into the machine and it seemed to fit perfectly. Flipping a switch, it activated and static could be heard from within its core.

Not expecting it would work, Kathryn kneeled down to inspect the contraption as Tarkep spoke to it.

“<Ch>Hello?”

KKKKkkkkZZZZzzzz-llo-zzzzZZZZkkkkKKKK

Tarkap’s ears perked up. “<Ch>Hello?”

KKKkkkZZZzzz-ho is talk-zzzZZZkkkKKK

“<Ch>Tarkap. It is Tarkap!”

KKkkZZzz-ood job-zk-ome back hom-zzZZkkKK

Kathryn found herself smiling when Tarkap looked up from the device. “Looks like you did it.”
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The Akira-class U.S.S. Hijinx sat out in deep space as it was approached by the Jenova, which transported Captain Reynolds over.

"It's good to be back!" the Betazoid exclaimed as she took a seat in her Captain's chair. "Who's been sitting here? There are leola root tart wrappers all over the arm consoles."

Bo-Lin turned from his helm console. "That would be me. I saw an empty chair and I had to use it."

"You're lucky you're cute, or you'd be in a whole heap of trouble," Reynolds pointed as she wiped the trash to the floor.

Jolene turned from her science console. "Ma'am, that's no way to operate in a professional work place. In fact, it's quite sexist and a clear HR violation."

"Hey! I'll run my ship my way and when you get your own, you can run it yours!" She shook her head. "Sorry, everyone; I've all this pent up energy from being stuck on the lower decks of the Crucial and Jenova for two whole 'things'. Did you know the Jenova's 8th Deck has no flooring? It's just highly volatile plasma conduits which you have to step around somehow."

Lane perked up from tactical. "Ma'am! The Jenova has gone to warp and has registered a Restraining Order against us, where we have to keep at least 50 lightyears away!"

"I'll allow it," Reynolds conceded.

It was at that moment another, unrecognizable Starfleet officer entered the Bridge: a moody, man with a square jaw and dark attitude. "Greetings. My name is Mayhem."

"Captain! The computer's going nuts!" Lane reported. "Main control is being rerouted through main engineering-- Weapons, shields, propulsion--"

Reynolds stood up. "What? Quickly, Mr. Esreck, lock out the main computer!"

"Huh? The who and the what now?" Esreck fumbled as he entered the Bridge, delayed, while holding an arm-full of packages of leola root tarts.

Mayhem turned to address the crew. "What you're experiencing will subside and you will regain control of your ship in just a few minutes. These computer changes are merely a result of my programming integrating itself: You see, I am a computer virus and a hologram."

"What the h-e-double hockey sticks?? You Nexus-Kirk jerk! We need to purge you from our systems??" Reynolds replied.

The viewscreen then clicked on, displaying an ad for Quark's: "Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come right now, don't walk-- run!"

Mayhem shook his head. "Ugh; uninspired and lazy. Anyway, you purge me and you will be murdering one of your own. You see, despite my programming being infected by an Iconian probe's computer disarming algorhythm-- that's my backstory, by the way-- I am still an enlisted, Command division, Starfleet Intelligence officer."

"He's right," Lane added. "Starfleet was founded upon equal opportunity employment. We have to respect who he is as a person and accept that he can do the job just like anybody else."

Suddenly the lights flickered and controls were restored. "Now," Mayhem continued, "As for my purpose here, I am to join you in your adventures into the Delta Quadrant and gather intel about it, to report to... Command."

"Why did you say it like that? Anyway, we've already been there and back several times. You missed the whole Vaadwuar assault and now we're working with Nog to rebirth the Krenim-- nothing can possibly go wrong there."

Mayhem grunted. "Fine, fine. Clearly there is much catching up I must do. Now, take us to Ethan Burgess, where he will brief us on his life story up to this point."

"Uggh. That bag of wind?? I hate him worse than I do Herthel!" Reynolds stopped before the hologram. "Can you even be trusted? You did infect my ship and claim to be part Iconian?"

The hologram turned to her. "Well, there's nothing you can do about your trust issues. It's not like you can read my mind."

"This way please," she ordered everyone.

---

Curious, the entire Bridge crew and Mayhem entered the turbolift and took it down toward the lower decks. During the ride, Reynolds used the opportunity to make small talk with Jolene:

"And, so, Captain Shon actually tried to ask me out, to which I replied, 'Who am I to argue with the Captain of the Enterprise?' A clear reference! And you know what? He didn't even get it; just stared blankly at me."

---

Entering Holodeck 3, Reynolds was quick to address the system.

"--Computer." Reynolds turned. "Create a hologram version of myself and display it in this simulated, artificial environment."

Then, a holographic-Betazoid, Reynolds, appeared next to them, wearing a skimpy, Risa, Lohunat Festival bikini. "I'm holo-mind-reading deception from the Mayhem hologram," it reported. "He is working with a Klingon named Treth."

"Damn! I forgot that costume was on default for me. --Computer, update to civilian clothing. --Mayhem, explain yourself and stop checking holo-me out."

In another bold turn of events, Treth and her energy-floating son transported into the Holodeck and addressed everyone. "Forget it! As you can see, we've been following you back to the Hijinx all the way from the Takarian homeworld. For it was I that convinced Melyot, from the Jenova, to reprogram Mayhem to help me."

"Hello, mother," the energy greeted in a creepy, child voice.

Treth waved him off. "Yes, yes; disturbing. Not now, though."

"Bloody devil!" Reynolds freaked. "How did you even know what we were saying before you beamed in??"

Treth folded her arms. "I am a Klingon."

"What? And you already got your kid to become non-corporeal. What more do you need??"

Treth unfolded her arms. "My son may now be an energy lifeform, but he needs help getting into a non-linear realm-- for the full Klingon Prophet experience. I knew you were a Science officer, so I re-scheduled your crew and embedded science-y patches into Mayhem to modify your deflector dish into an interplexing spatial interphasic flexure pokey pokey."

"Hah! The joke's on you. My ship isn't even a Science ship. It's a defense vessel," Reynolds bragged.

The Klingon was taken aback. "But-- why??"

"I'm smart, and a fighter. It's possible to be both," the Betazoid said.

Treth checked her Klingon PADD for the ship's progress. "NO! The array is taking twice as long!?"

"It's going to take even longer when I get through with it," Mayhem interjected. "You see, as yet another revelation, I object to you tampering with my program for your own personal goals. My programming is meant for my personal goals! Selfish, I know."

Everyone looked over at Mayhem who then appeared to be closing his eyes, gritting his teeth and concentrating really hard. Seconds later, the opposite result at which he was expecting occurred:

"Well now," Treth examined her live stream of the Hijinx's system data. "It looks like, instead of stopping the dish, you improved it and started the spatial interphasic sequence."

Opening his eyes and realizing what he'd done, Mayhem cursed to himself. "Dammit! I forgot that as a virus, I have the antithetical effect on goals."

"Reynolds to Bridge-- what's going on up there?" she tapped her commbadge.

Jolene shrugged. "The Bridge is empty. We're all here because you wouldn't explain what you were doing before exiting."

"Oh, right. Very well. Come with me," Reynolds ordered.

---

Following along, everyone, including Treth and the floating energy, Feng, joined the Captain in the cramped turbolift back to the Bridge. During the ride, Reynolds continued her small talk with Jolene:

"So, Shon and I had one date at Café des Artistes, where that one chick with the disheveled pink top sat. Turns out he's having marriage problems and he thought that, since I was Betazoid, I was some kind of counselor!"

---

Entering the Bridge, the crew came to view a spatial opening right in front of the ship. Inside were several Starfleet science ships.

"Captain!" Lane exclaimed. "They're the Science ships from Vandor IV!"

Reynolds looked on. "Impossible? The Crucial destroyed them when it was Ferenginized??"

"Hijinx, this is Captain Jet of the Nova-class U.S.S. Shark-- We were executing dimensional experiments when the Crucial approached and opened fire on us," the human commanding officer hailed.

Andrea Reynolds nodded. "I appreciate you stating your ship class."

"The torpedo impacts from the Crucial knocked all of us into this plane of existence, shared by some kind of non-physical energy species," Jet explained. "It's likely what appeared to be us being destroyed was really just us being transported here."

Inside, all around the Federation starships swirled massive amounts of orange gaseus aliens.

"We are the Zalkonians," one of them echoed. "We created this realm as an educational center for new-comers of our kind; to teach them the ways of non-corporeal existence. Unfortunately, having your ships here is a distraction to our students. They will not stop looking out the non-corporeal equivalent of your 'classroom windows'."

With that, the starships were pushed out of the realm, through the tear in space.

"Strange alien creatures, you must take my son and teach him the ways of non-corporeal existence," Treth stepped up to the view screen.

The hovering-Feng floated over. "Hello, non-mothers."

"But he is not of our kind. It would be like creating an alternate reality Kirk after a series of several prime universe Captains. --Wait a minute. That has already happened?? Well, this changes things. Since such an abomination has already been done, perhaps your son could adapt and evolve in the Zalkonian pre-school segment of our realm. There is a non-corporeal nap and snack time which tempers youthful rowdiness."

Reynolds glanced at Treth, who was nodding agreeingly. "Then, I suppose some good came out of all this after all," Reynolds said. "Which is odd, because I was against anything Mayhem would be responsible for from the start."

"Goodbye all. You are all mothers to me now," the eerie gas of Feng said before floating through the bulkheads and into space.

On the screen, they watched as Feng entered through the spatial flexure and into the Zalkonian realm. The Hijinx then disengaged its deflector dish and caused the flexure to close and disappear.

"As for you, Treth, you're under arrest for mischief!" Reynolds ordered. "Yes, that's an actual thing you can be arrested for. I once arrested a Harcourt Mudd-looking man for twirling his mustache, inexplicably."

Two security officers apprehended Treth and took her away. Meanwhile, Mayhem was left to the situation at hand.

"I just checked my files and it turns out I never was actually assigned to you. Perhaps, next time, I shall use reason and rationale subroutines to examine what may or may not be actual orders downloaded into my viral database. Yes, we must intel ourselves before we intel others. Now, you will take my apologies or suffer the consequences," Mayhem ordered.

Captain Reynolds squinted at him. "Your aggressiveness makes you like a double Klingon in some ways. Anyhow, is there somewhere we can transport you? Or a Recycling Bin icon we can drop you in?"

"Negative. I see that the U.S.S. Enterprise-F is in the vicinity, so I will just transfer over to them."

In a matter of seconds, Mayhem disappeared and was transmitted over. As soon as the Odyssey-class Enterprise-F received him, the lights and main systems throughout the entire ship went dark. One of the nacelles then exploded, damaging the other.
    Post edited by hawku001x on