test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Graphics Issues Since Season 10 Launch

archangelmortenarchangelmorten Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited June 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I am experiencing the following problems:

Game freezes after playing any cinematic.

Ground Weapons, Torpedoes, Some Beams, and Space FX such as Sun Twinkles, NPC Contact Icons, and the Captains Table Nebula, do not show up in-game.

Lighting is glitching in certain maps.

These are my computer's specs:

CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) 145 Processor (2812.56 MHz)
Memory: 8192 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1077

And here is a thread detailing the various issues:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23932221&postcount=40

I have a life time subscription and these glitches, which did not appear until the launch of Delta Rising and Season 10, are preventing me from enjoying my game-play experience to the fullest. Please do something. Thank you. I filed a support ticket but nothing suggested helped at all. The support staff finally advised me to post here.
Post edited by archangelmorten on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Any word on this and other issues?
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    actually, the issues were reported as soon as this hit tribble. So they have had 3 months to look into it. Really longer since the same things are happening to Neverwinter and they had the same buggy code before us.

Logic dictates there are 3 options - They are in denial, They have no idea how to fix it or they simply don't care. Given the track record of the one who cant be named, I know which one I am leaning to. This all seems to be ok in the culture he has created.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My graphical issues are probably worse than this as the game just hangs on the Iconian load screen before having to be aborted and then relaunched in safe mode. Once in though I can crank everything back to ultra mode just fine once I am in. Not sure but may have something to do with the game wanting to use a screen resolution of 800x600 when going full screen by default and my current card cannot get anywhere near that low a resolution :/

Seems the game now hates NVIDIA graphics cards, much prefering us to have to use the internal Intel cards to be able to log in now :(

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Not sure but may have something to do with the game wanting to use a screen resolution of 800x600 when going full screen by default and my current card cannot get anywhere near that low a resolution :/

You'd be amazed how low a resolution high end cards support. The limitation is more likely your monitor.
    However, have you tried manually setting it in the config file before launching the game?
    \Star Trek Online\Live\localdata\Gameprefs.Pref
    Open it in something like NotePad++ and look for GfxSettings.FullScreenHeight and GfxSettings.FullScreenWidth.

I've never actually run the game in fullscreen mode as I prefer maximised window mode for the ease of being able to minimize it. But changing those settings then launching the game should force it into the resolution you've set if it's already set to launch in fullscreen mode.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    dirlettia wrote: »
    My graphical issues are probably worse than this as the game just hangs on the Iconian load screen before having to be aborted and then relaunched in safe mode. Once in though I can crank everything back to ultra mode just fine once I am in. Not sure but may have something to do with the game wanting to use a screen resolution of 800x600 when going full screen by default and my current card cannot get anywhere near that low a resolution :/

Seems the game now hates NVIDIA graphics cards, much prefering us to have to use the internal Intel cards to be able to log in now :(

im bored today and just messing around.

I edited the 800x600 in game prefs and changed it to my native of 1080x1920

Was able to load into the game without crashing or being in safe mode for the first time in over a month.

It could be coincidence. I find that sometimes things work once but never again so might not work tomorrow.

But if it does I think some of the issues could be a resolution conflict. I mean how flipping old does a monitor have to be to even run at 800x600. It would have a tube no doubt.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    im bored today and just messing around.

I edited the 800x600 in game prefs and changed it to my native of 1080x1920

Was able to load into the game without crashing or being in safe mode for the first time in over a month.

It could be coincidence. I find that sometimes things work once but never again so might not work tomorrow.

But if it does I think some of the issues could be a resolution conflict. I mean how flipping old does a monitor have to be to even run at 800x600. It would have a tube no doubt.
    My monitor is a 2007 Dell, a 17" size with 4:3 dimensions. It originally ran using Windows Vista. I use Windows 7 now (and refuse to downgrade to 8 or 10).
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You'd be amazed how low a resolution high end cards support. The limitation is more likely your monitor.
    However, have you tried manually setting it in the config file before launching the game?
    \Star Trek Online\Live\localdata\Gameprefs.Pref
    Open it in something like NotePad++ and look for GfxSettings.FullScreenHeight and GfxSettings.FullScreenWidth.

I've never actually run the game in fullscreen mode as I prefer maximised window mode for the ease of being able to minimize it. But changing those settings then launching the game should force it into the resolution you've set if it's already set to launch in fullscreen mode.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying, which is easily done. My graphics card and monitor are all nice and modern but my lowest resolution which the graphics card can support is 1024x768 at the bare minimum with the native resolution at 1080x1920 as per the next post along. When my client was crashing after hitting fullscreen in safe mode to change settings into a nice clean fresh gameprefs file the system would just crash giving me an error that the graphics mode is not supported with 800x600 as the note.

For now I am just starting with a permanent command line including =safemode to let me log in without constant messing around and then crank up the settings when it actually starts.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    Is there any word from the devs as to when these issues will be addressed?